What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haffner

Re-reading this, as it remains inspirational to me.

Justin Ignaz Franz Bieber

Quote from: George on September 13, 2007, 05:26:46 AM
If you liked fight club at all, try "Choke" by the same author. It's a much better book IMO.  :)

yeah fight club was good, I'd read something else by palahniuk for sure.
"I am, therefore I think." -- Nietzsche

dtwilbanks

Edward Gorman's DEATH GROUND. A tight little Western.

George

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 13, 2007, 10:54:22 AM
Edward Gorman's DEATH GROUND. A tight little Western.

LOVE the new avatar, David!  :)

Anne

I have started reading The Demon in the Freezer, a true story by Richard Preston.  Previously I have read Preston's Hot Zone, and The Cobra Event  This book is just as good and spellbinding as the 2 former ones were.

When the book began, I thought we were talking about anthrax, but very quickly the subject switched to smallpox.  Smallpox is considered to be the worst virus capable of infecting man.  The book has a graphic and detailed description of smallpox.  It also said that most people in North America are no longer immune to smallpox even though they were inoculated when younger.  The efficacy of the vaccine wears off.  Then there are all the children who have never been vaccinated.  IMHO since the scientists know that the smallpox virus is available (although clandestinely)in many other countries, I think the inoculations should be resumed.

Smallpox is considered to be a bioweapon.  According to the book, smallpox has killed about a billion people in a 100-year timeframe; it is much worse than the Black Plague.  I think anyone reading this book would also clamor to have the vaccinations resumed.  Scientists tell us smallpox has been eradicated from the earth.  Despite that it is thought that the smallpox virus is likely in the hands of US enemies.  It is also at the CDC in the US.

The book is riveting.

Danny

Finished "All the Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy and enjoyed his lean, dark prose.  I think he's a pretty good storyteller and leaves very few dry areas in the aforementioned novel.

Next will read "The Stranger" by Camus and then probably return to McCarthy (The Road, I think).

dtwilbanks

THE GREAT PIANISTS - Schonberg

So far, so good...

George

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 15, 2007, 06:28:44 AM
THE GREAT PIANISTS - Schonberg

So far, so good...

I enjoyed that one. Wished it was longer, in fact.  :)

dtwilbanks

Quote from: George on September 15, 2007, 06:30:19 AM
I enjoyed that one. Wished it was longer, in fact.  :)

I'd like a good book covering modern pianists.

George

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 15, 2007, 06:31:06 AM
I'd like a good book covering modern pianists.

Then you want "Great Contemporary Pianists Speak for themselves: Two volumes bound as one" by Elyse Mach

dtwilbanks

Quote from: George on September 15, 2007, 06:36:57 AM
Then you want "Great Contemporary Pianists Speak for themselves: Two volumes bound as one" by Elyse Mach

I'll look into it. Thanks.

George

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 15, 2007, 06:41:46 AM
I'll look into it. Thanks.

It was published in 1988, so it may not suit your purpose. It depend upon how modern you need it to be.

Saul

Quote from: Corey on September 12, 2007, 01:59:25 PM
Didn't know you were into comedy!

Read it yourself, and then you'll tell me if its comedy or not.
It was a great read, wonderful and stunning.

carlos

Cornelius Ryan's classic "The Last Battle"; one of the best
on the fall of Berlin. Very well written and with many little
known facts.
Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

longears

"Guideline on the Preparation of Investigational New Drug Products (Human and Animal)"

A real nail-biter.

Kullervo

Letters between Rilke and his erstwhile lover/best friend/muse.

SonicMan46

The Knife Man: Blood, Body Snatching, and the Birth of Modern Surgery (2006) by Wendy Moore - story of the British (born in Scotland) anatomist & surgeon, John Hunter - CLICK on the image, if interested, for more details -  :)

Sea of Gray: The Around-the-World Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah (2007) by Tom Chaffin - some Confederate naval history - if your tired of reading (and re-reading) about the 'land battles' of the American Civil War, then this book might be of interest - again, CLICK on the image!

Anne

Thanks for the recommendation of The Knife Man.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Anne on September 25, 2007, 08:07:17 AM
Thanks for the recommendation of The Knife Man.

Hello Anne - about 2/3 through that book - excellent account of not only Hunter's life & exploits, but great re-telling of the status of medicine & medical practice in the 18th century, and in particular Georgian England - enjoy!  :D

Anne