What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Too many things at the same time, as usual  ::)

Gradac vol.160/61 - is local art magazine, in book format, with themed issues.
This volume is about Melancholy, the term which had much wider connotations throughout history than it has now. Incudes texts from Hippocrates, Aristotle, Hildegard of Bingen, analysis of Durer's Melencolia I, Robert Burton, Keats' Ode, Constant, Nerval ..... to Freud, Bela Hamvas and Julia Kristeva among others.

stingo

Reading a really good short story anthology - Warriors edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois

[asin]B00AEBUPSM[/asin]

Wakefield

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

kishnevi

Quote from: Drasko on July 27, 2014, 03:07:26 AM
Too many things at the same time, as usual  ::)

Mmm.  A Hemingway book I did not know about.   Is it as good as Death in the Afternoon?

Drasko

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 27, 2014, 05:45:46 PM
Mmm.  A Hemingway book I did not know about.   Is it as good as Death in the Afternoon?

For me Death in the Afternoon is definitely better, but The Dangerous Summer is quite sufficiently different to be worth reading. While the first is more a general overview, The Dangerous Summer is, again non fictional, account of  the rivalry between two great bullfighters (Dominguin and Ordones) over single summer season of 1959.
If you liked  Death in the Afternoon you're most likely to enjoy The Dangerous Summer.

stingo

Not that anyone cares, but I got a copy of the (physical) book - The Day of the Triffids - from Amazon.co.uk and am pleased to report it's the original UK edition. (Not surprising, but you never know...) I'll be reading this one in preference to the Kindle edition that I already own. Just sucks that you can't get the UK version on Kindle here in the US.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Artem

I rather enjoyed this book, although most of the Zen discussions went over my head. But the interrelations of composers and artists during 50s-60s is really fascinating to me.

Ken B

Bill of the Century by Risen, about passing the voting rights act.

Speaking of legislative acts, and flagrant national one upmanship, do you know what very first act passed by the parliament of Upper Canada was, when the colony was founded in 1891? A ban on slavery.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on July 30, 2014, 03:55:22 AM
You mean 1791, surely?
Oops. Yes, 1791.
Be kinda late to the party in 1891 wouldn't it?

Karl Henning

They'd be embarrassed laggards, I should think :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ZauberdrachenNr.7

In observance of WWI centenary.  Hope I don't regret it - though I know I will - I'm a veteran of Remarque's brilliant All Quiet on the Western Front, among other works, and I don't wanna study war no more.  [asin]0142437905[/asin]

bwv 1080

Elijah Woods (who played Huck in the early 90s film) has a great audiobook recording of Huckelberry Finn.  Not having read it since college, I am continually floored by how dark it really is (even beyond the now obvious and understood points about slavery).   I could easily imagine the events in the book, narrated in a somewhat different tone, comprising a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Elijah gets the dialects right as far as I can tell, and importantly in this book, uses the n-word with the right amount of casualness (much like I remember other Southern whites using it 20-30 years ago - fortunately have not heard anyone talk like that in quite some time)

Ken B

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on August 15, 2014, 10:01:31 AM
In observance of WWI centenary.  Hope I don't regret it - though I know I will - I'm a veteran of Remarque's brilliant All Quiet on the Western Front, among other works, and I don't wanna study war no more.  [asin]0142437905[/asin]
Quite a remarkable book. A different take on the war! I am curious about your reaction Z7.

Wakefield

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on August 15, 2014, 10:01:31 AM

Two days ago, a friend of mine gave me this as a gift:

Ernst Jünger: War Diary (1914-1918)

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

bhodges

Italo Calvino: Invisible Cities - Heavens, what a beautiful book. Not sure whether it's a novel, poetry, a group of stories, or something else, but the writing is incredibly imaginative. Wish I'd read this decades ago, but there you have it.

[asin]0156453800[/asin]

--Bruce

stingo

I really need to read some Calvino again - I listened to a stunning reading of one of his Cosmicomics stories and realized how much I missed his writing.

Finished The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry - very well written if a bit unrelentingly grim in parts.

[asin]B0018MS1YG[/asin]

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bwv 1080

Finished Huck Finn, Hemingway was right-  you should just skip the last dozen or so chapters (from where Tom Sawyer shows up)

On to -

"a place where one desired nothing, by virtue either of eternally shining joy or of nothingness itself."
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/books/review/william-t-vollmanns-last-stories-and-other-stories.html?_r=0