What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

I usually re-read the chapter on embracing "downward mobility" around this time each year. 

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Just getting around to a book that I planned on reading back in August:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

lisa needs braces

Nothing, absolutely nothing. Just too much internet nonsense.

Ken B

Quote from: -abe- on December 25, 2014, 10:02:57 PM
Nothing, absolutely nothing. Just too much internet nonsense.

Me too last month or so.  :(
need to get back to reading actual books.

I always have at least 5 books on the go. Two being neglected this month are a novel of ancient Rome, The Art of War by M Scott; and a book on Bayesianism by Howson. I got book store gift certificates too, so I can buy more books to not read.  :-[

Jaakko Keskinen

Rereading Tawastjerna's 5-part Sibelius biography. Currently on part II, which includes years 1893-1903, starting from Karelia suite and ending with violin concerto. Excellent analysis certainly, although I still think he's bit too hard on Sibelius's skills (or lack of) of writing compelling choir works.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jaakko Keskinen

Speaking of Cervantes, never read Don Quijote (nor exemplary novels) but the tone poem by Strauss is certainly splendid. Listened to it an hour ago 8)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Todd

[asin]B00C8S9XC8[/asin]

So Far From God, by John SD Eisenhower, covering the Mexican-American War.  If a country is going to engage in an aggressive war of territorial expansion, US policy and actions during this war show how it's done.  Eisenhower's one-sided, and understandably very military oriented history of the war goes into more than a fair amount of detail of the campaigns, includes quick but informative and comparatively apolitical analysis of the US politics involved, and even includes some dry wit.  Having already read Eisenhower's excellent bio on Winfield Scott, and Walter Borneman's bio on James K Polk, the big draw of this book for me was to learn more about Zachary Taylor's conduct of the first part of this wicked war, to borrow General Grant's phrase, and Eisenhower does not disappoint.  Given the significance of this war - it has the highest casualty rate of any US war, added an immense amount of territory to the country, and ended up serving as practical training for Grant, Lee, Meade, and Bragg, among other Civil War officers - it is something of a shame that more isn't written about it.  Must be the dubious nature of how the war started.  I may yet have to read Robert Merry's A Country of Vast Designs to get a bigger picture treatment.

(The title is taken from a quote attributed to Mexican general and president Pofirio Diaz, who supposedly said "Poor Mexico!  So far from God and so close to the United States.")
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ken B

The Rise of the Warrior Cop
Radley Balko

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Bogey

Just set a goal for reading 20 books this year over on the Goodreads site.  You in Karl, Dave (Sonic), MNDave and others?

Florestan

Very instructive parallel readings.

Edmund Burke - Reflections on the Revolution in France

James Mackintosh - Vindiciae Gallicae

Thomas Paine - Rights of Man

Why Burke is hailed by some avowed liberals as an intellectual hero is beyond my power of comprehension. A liberal of sorts he certainly was, for he generally professed liberal opinions and defended liberal causes (with one major exception which form the substance of the three books, namely the French Revolution), but that a principled and rational liberal agenda can be founded upon his ideas is a dellusion, firstly because for principles and reason he had nothing but utter contempt and secondly, because his ideas can justify both the most opressive and the most liberal regime, his only condition for its legitimacy being for how long it has been in existence.

As for the French Revolution, he made a few strong cases in particular points (and even in these, he rather happened to be right, than was right in principle) but, overall and in the greater picture, Paine and Mackintosh were in the right and refuted his errors , misunderstandings or plain bad will the more brilliantly as they indeed proceeded from a principled and well reasoned out liberalism.

Artem

Quote from: Bogey on January 01, 2015, 06:07:04 AM
Just set a goal for reading 20 books this year over on the Goodreads site.  You in Karl, Dave (Sonic), MNDave and others?
My goodreads score for the past year is 39 books with 10650 pages, which is very close to my average for yearly reading of about 40 books. Last year I did read more longer books and I think I may spend more time reading than listening to music overall, because it is easier to find time for reading that for music for me.

The new erato

"Mot fedrenes fjell". A substantial David Monrad Johansen (Norwegian composer) biography.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on January 01, 2015, 10:14:32 AM
Very instructive parallel readings.

Edmund Burke - Reflections on the Revolution in France

James Mackintosh - Vindiciae Gallicae

Thomas Paine - Rights of Man

Why Burke is hailed by some avowed liberals as an intellectual hero is beyond my power of comprehension. A liberal of sorts he certainly was, for he generally professed liberal opinions and defended liberal causes (with one major exception which form the substance of the three books, namely the French Revolution), but that a principled and rational liberal agenda can be founded upon his ideas is a dellusion, firstly because for principles and reason he had nothing but utter contempt and secondly, because his ideas can justify both the most opressive and the most liberal regime, his only condition for its legitimacy being for how long it has been in existence.

As for the French Revolution, he made a few strong cases in particular points (and even in these, he rather happened to be right, than was right in principle) but, overall and in the greater picture, Paine and Mackintosh were in the right and refuted his errors , misunderstandings or plain bad will the more brilliantly as they indeed proceeded from a principled and well reasoned out liberalism.

We can still be friends.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on January 01, 2015, 11:45:28 AM
We can still be friends.

Oooopsss! I´d have never guessed you were a Burkean.  :D

Karl Henning

It will mean being a bit more diligent about plugging in at Goodreads, but I shall try!

(And I hope re-reads will count  8) )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

stingo

I am. Set mine for 52, just like 2014.

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on January 02, 2015, 06:35:52 AM
It will mean being a bit more diligent about plugging in at Goodreads, but I shall try!

(And I hope re-reads will count  8) )

Absolutely.  Let's try to tap one an other on the shoulder over there, folks.