Karl Henning

Dreaming of Babylon

[asin]0395547032[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wakefield

Quote from: Bogey on July 03, 2015, 05:22:54 AM
At only 110 pages, I was able to finish it in one day as I had the day off.  Agree with you on it being a bit more harder hitting.  In fact, the movie should have just followed the book.  I was sure that this would have been one of those instances where I was going to like the movie more, but after a day of reflection the book is superior IMO.

In this case I prefer to say the same of my signature.  ;D

Seriously, I think some changes were necessary to do a commercial movie. For instance, to hide and soften the professional activities of Holly. Additionally, her Southern origins don't fit very well with Audrey's persona.

To follow more faithfully the book, Holly should have been performed by Marilyn, as Truman Capote originally wanted. Probably had been a wonderful choice, too.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Bogey

Quote from: Gordo on July 03, 2015, 07:01:28 AM
In this case I prefer to say the same of my signature.  ;D

Seriously, I think some changes were necessary to do a commercial movie. For instance, to hide and soften the professional activities of Holly. Additionally, her Southern origins don't fit very well with Audrey's persona.

To follow more faithfully the book, Holly should have been performed by Marilyn, as Truman Capote originally wanted. Probably had been a wonderful choice, too.  :)

I believe the start of the book about her being photographed in Africa and the ending of the book would have played well in the movie.  But then again, I am a sucker for not so perfect endings. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Wakefield

Quote from: Bogey on July 03, 2015, 07:06:04 AM
I believe the start of the book about her being photographed in Africa and the ending of the book would have played well in the movie.  But then again, I am a sucker for not so perfect endings. :)

This recalls me Capote's unfinished novel Answered Prayers, a true page-turner... and yes, the perfectly closed romantic ending of the movie is a bit artificial.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on July 03, 2015, 07:03:18 AM
I think we exchanged comments on Brautigan a little while back when I reconnected with this sweet spot from my past.

The artful simplicity always draws me in.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on June 29, 2015, 10:15:00 AM
[asin]1567923658[/asin]
That snippet at FB certainly made me add that to my wishlist.

Thread duty: My portable holiday library.

[asin]0140424547[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Drasko

Quote from: Bogey on July 03, 2015, 05:22:54 AM
At only 110 pages, I was able to finish it in one day as I had the day off.  Agree with you on it being a bit more harder hitting.  In fact, the movie should have just followed the book.  I was sure that this would have been one of those instances where I was going to like the movie more, but after a day of reflection the book is superior IMO.

I agree that the novel is superior, but I like the movie as well.

Quote from: Gordo on July 03, 2015, 07:01:28 AM

Agreed, doubt that more closer to the book movie could have happened. The Hays Code was still in place and some of novel's themes would never have flied unless massively toned down. Also some aspects of novel's structure, like the narrator as mere observer as written by Capote would have never worked on screen. I think hey did a good job by turning him into protagonist and foil for Holy. Even though it's heavily romanticized and lots of the actual story altered the movie works for me, the new romantic story is well plotted, if bit sentimental at the end, Audrey Hepburn is incandescent and most of Capote's finest dialogue has been picked up verbatim. 

Wakefield

Quote from: Draško on July 03, 2015, 09:01:47 AM
Agreed, doubt that more closer to the book movie could have happened. The Hays Code was still in place and some of novel's themes would never have flied unless massively toned down. Also some aspects of novel's structure, like the narrator as mere observer as written by Capote would have never worked on screen. I think hey did a good job by turning him into protagonist and foil for Holy. Even though it's heavily romanticized and lots of the actual story altered the movie works for me, the new romantic story is well plotted, if bit sentimental at the end, Audrey Hepburn is incandescent and most of Capote's finest dialogue has been picked up verbatim.

Full agreement.

I always wonder if, for instance, 40 or 50 years ahead, some cinephiles will love some actresses of the present as much as we love people like Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, Ava Gardner, Ingrid Bergman and so, or if the 50s and 60s were simply a "golden age." I'm quite inclined to accept the last response as true.

-- Voltaire

Bogey

Quote from: Gordo on July 03, 2015, 09:19:08 AM
Full agreement.

I always wonder if, for instance, 40 or 50 years ahead, some cinephiles will love some actresses of the present as much as we love people like Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, Ava Gardner, Ingrid Bergman and so, or if the 50s and 60s were simply a "golden age." I'm quite inclined to accept the last response as true.

That might have been special.  Here is a shot of her that may have been for the later part of the movie:

And do not get me started on Mancini's brilliant score for the film. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Florestan

Giovanni Boccacio - The Decameron

Just love his style. Oh, and it goes very well with the music of Jacopo da Bologna and Francesco Landino8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on July 03, 2015, 08:49:43 AM
That snippet at FB certainly made me add that to my wishlist.

It's great fun.  One of his titles was published with a foreword by P.G. Wodehouse, expressing warm admiration.  Naturally, this caught my attention   :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on July 04, 2015, 04:50:25 AM
It's great fun.  One of his titles was published with a foreword by P.G. Wodehouse, expressing warm admiration.  Naturally, this caught my attention   :)
Aye.  :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on July 04, 2015, 03:13:21 AM
Giovanni Boccacio - The Decameron

Just love his style. Oh, and it goes very well with the music of Jacopo da Bologna and Francesco Landino8)

That's my favourite book.

listener

from Kevin Kwan, author of CRAZY RICH ASIANS
CHINA RICH GIRLFRIEND
more of the same (not an adverse comment), great summer read here.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Karl Henning

On the bus ride home yesterday, the first essay, "Mozart as Mid-Cult";  roughly equal parts no sympathy with Peter Shaffer's Amadeus (or, with the film thereof, mostly), and an engaging argument for the Ken Russell film on Tchaikovsky:

[asin]1555532187[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

I don't share Horowitz's tendency to wring his hands over the demise of Classical Music, of course;  and in places where we come close to agreement, he is often the more fastidious of us two.  I have to thank him for pointing out (what I ought to have been able to observe myself) that Salieri's preoccupation (in Shaffer's Amadeus) with the "ghosts of the Future" is rather an anachronism (though we might argue that the whole exercise of the play/movie is Romantification Rampant).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Drasko

Faulkner - Wild Palms / Old Man

ritter

Playright René Peter, a childhood friend of Marcel Proust's, recalls--40 years after they took place--the convesrations the two men had over 5 months in 1906, when they were both staying in Versailles. An engaging memoir of Proust before he was a celebrity. The book has a short chapter on Debussy (I haven't reached it yet)...

Artem

Great autobiography. Very straightforward and open talk from Herbie Hancock.

This was my second book from this Icelandic writer, Sjon, who has a very interesting writing style.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on July 11, 2015, 11:29:08 AM

Playright René Peter, a childhood friend of Marcel Proust's, recalls--40 years after they took place--the convesrations the two men had over 5 months in 1906, when they were both staying in Versailles. An engaging memoir of Proust before he was a celebrity. The book has a short chapter on Debussy (I haven't reached it yet)...

Very interesting.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy