What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Mookalafalas on September 01, 2015, 07:09:24 PM
Picked this up randomly. Had very low expectations (in fact, I thought it would be reactionary and preachy), but it's very interesting, insightful and well written (so far).
I just finished that book last month, and thought it very good indeed. A lot of material is dated (1990s), but the message continues to resonate.

Drasko

Grandville - British comic series by Brian Talbot. Antropomorphic victorian alternate history steampunk Sherlock Holmes James Bond cross. Very decently written. Four books so far, I've read first two.

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on September 01, 2015, 07:09:24 PM
Picked this up randomly. Had very low expectations (in fact, I thought it would be reactionary and preachy), but it's very interesting, insightful and well written (so far).

[asin]0465031463[/asin]
Quote from: Brian on September 01, 2015, 07:10:22 PM
I just finished that book last month, and thought it very good indeed. A lot of material is dated (1990s), but the message continues to resonate.

It's nice that you guys give your opinion but a link would be better.

>:D ;) :laugh:

NikF

So pleased to find this in one of the (sadly, few remaining) local used bookstores, because I've been wanting to read some Marcel Ayme for a long time.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

lisa needs braces

Quote from: stingo on September 01, 2015, 04:10:33 AM
The Kindle version of Swafford's Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph Kindle edition is $2.99 just now. Typical price is $22.49.

[asin]B00E78IB3E[/asin]

Thanks. Though I strongly prefer physical books, I picked this up as my copy is a library loan with multiple reserves!

kishnevi

Bought at Barnes and Noble last night. 

A bilingual edition of selected poems.

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on August 27, 2015, 05:26:06 AM
Can't say I ever liked Lattimore. Certainly not his Homer. Fitzgerald. I have read some very fine versions of Homer and Ovid by Lombardo, who is sort of an anti-Lattimore, emphasizing swiftness and directness. Fagles still awaits.

Read through some of Fagles last night at B&N.  Struck me as brutal and very nonpoetic in its meter.  Well, that is to say, it didn't see to have any meter.
Also Fitzgerald,  who does seem to remember he is translating poetry, but I did not find the grace of sound that Lattimore achieved.   Fitzgerald seemed to overemphasize the swiftness and directness.  For me, Lattimore achieved the correct balance.

Karl Henning

British Airways fire: Why you shouldn't escape with carry-on luggage

. . . but my moment, or my belongings, are more important than the next guy's physical safety.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on September 10, 2015, 06:29:41 AM
British Airways fire: Why you shouldn't escape with carry-on luggage

. . . but my moment, or my belongings, are more important than the next guy's physical safety.

You can be charged for disobeying the orders of a flight attendant. Seems a good time to deploy this law.

SimonNZ

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 11, 2015, 12:23:37 PM
counterpoint
This is hilarious, in a bad way. Knapp asserts there was no conspiracy while admitting Goldberg assumed the bomb would go off and wanted to assist in a bombing. That's a strange definition of "non-existent".

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on September 11, 2015, 06:53:39 PM

This is hilarious, in a bad way. Knapp asserts there was no conspiracy while admitting Goldberg assumed the bomb would go off and wanted to assist in a bombing. That's a strange definition of "non-existent".

You are missing the point.
To have a conspiracy, you need at least two people with a common intent.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 11, 2015, 07:22:38 PM
You are missing the point.
To have a conspiracy, you need at least two people with a common intent.
Oh come on. You had one guy and the cop who caught him by pretending. The guy had serious intent and belief. if I get you to plot with me to murder Karl and then arrest you are you seriously going to say "No plot here!"

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on September 11, 2015, 07:39:52 PM
Oh come on. You had one guy and the cop who caught him by pretending. The guy had serious intent and belief. if I get you to plot with me to murder Karl and then arrest you are you seriously going to say "No plot here!"
The usual term for that is entrapment.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 11, 2015, 07:52:57 PM
The usual term for that is entrapment.

That requires that the cop induce you to commit a crime you were not previously inclined to commit. Evidence of that here?

SimonNZ

Artem

Quote from: sanantonio on September 11, 2015, 11:11:29 AM

I haven't read this specific collection, but I love reading Carver, even though his stories are almost always devastating.