What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

locrian

Quote from: val on October 17, 2007, 11:31:18 PM
One of my two or three preferred novels. The chapters with Pilatus are so beautiful ...

Which translations have you read, or do you even need a translation?

locrian

Quote from: Bogey on October 07, 2007, 04:53:26 PM
About to stroll through one of these guilty pleasures....not sure which one.  Either way, a real treat now that they have taken all of the "varnish" off of previous printings and just left us with what Howard actually wrote in the order he wrote it in (which I believe happens to not be in chronilogical order story wise).  However, I must admit I do miss the Frazetta cover art that I enjoyed as a kid.

How'd I miss this?    ???

REH rules! Have you seen the movie THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD yet?

Haffner

Quote from: Corey on October 17, 2007, 10:13:41 AM
Yes, it's tough-going, but I am really enjoying it, especially the Diapsalmata  and the essay on tragedy.

Yeah, I found it easiest (and overall more fruitful) to take it in pieces. HUGELY rewarding.

Peregrine

Toscanini - Harvey Sachs. Very interesting thus far...
Yes, we have no bananas

DanielFullard

Tried to read King's Dark Towers series but couldnt get into it.

Northern Lights is next on my list

mahlertitan

Almost done with Robert Simpson's "The Essence of Anton Bruckner", great in depth analysis of each of his symphonies. A must read.

SonicMan46

Just started the book below - Happy Accidents: Serendipity in Modern Medical Breakthroughs (2007) by Morton Meyers - check HERE for descriptions & comments; like Meyers, I'm also an abdominal radiologist & have always had a deep interest in medical history, so this is a perfect book for me; I know Mort Meyers, and he is an excellent writer, so if you're interested in this topic, this book might be for you -  :D

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan on October 24, 2007, 02:58:50 PM
Just started the book below - Happy Accidents: Serendipity in Modern Medical Breakthroughs (2007) by Morton Meyers - check HERE for descriptions & comments; like Meyers, I'm also an abdominal radiologist & have always had a deep interest in medical history, so this is a perfect book for me; I know Mort Meyers, and he is an excellent writer, so if you're interested in this topic, this book might be for you -  :D

Lovely artwork!  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

val

POPPER: "The logic of the scientific discovery" (I don't know if the translation is right, I am reading it in German).

The absolute masterpiece of Karl Popper.

Scriptavolant

Quote from: val on October 25, 2007, 01:09:00 AM
POPPER: "The logic of the scientific discovery" (I don't know if the translation is right, I am reading it in German).

The absolute masterpiece of Karl Popper.

Yes, wonderful work, and very influential as well.
I just read Popper's "The nature of philosophical problems and their root in science" which is an article published on the British Journal of Philosophy of Science in 1952.

I'm waiting to read "Open society and its enemies" as well.

Keemun

Quote from: sound sponge on October 25, 2007, 03:46:13 AM

How is it?  I know one is not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but I must say that the cover makes it look interesting.
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Anne

Quote from: sound sponge on October 25, 2007, 03:46:13 AM

Looks like a CD cover for Symphonie Fantastique.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Anne on October 25, 2007, 05:59:22 PM
Looks like a CD cover for Symphonie Fantastique.

Hello, Anne - take a look at the link to the book I mentioned a few posts back - might be one that you would enjoy!  Dave  :)

Anne

Quote from: SonicMan on October 25, 2007, 06:30:11 PM
Hello, Anne - take a look at the link to the book I mentioned a few posts back - might be one that you would enjoy!  Dave  :)

As of yesterday it is already on its way to my house!  Thank you! ;D ;D ;D

Danny

Familiar with the topic as a whole, but find the composer's perspective elucidated by Copeland deeply intriguing and, honestly, educating!  :)

locrian

Quote from: Keemun on October 25, 2007, 02:14:48 PM
How is it?  I know one is not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but I must say that the cover makes it look interesting.

It isn't bad so far. It's his first novel. I think he wrote it for college, then sold it to a publisher. And he's been writing them ever since.

If you enjoy Stephen King and the like, you'll probably dig it.

Novi

John Ruskin. No, it's not very good.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Solitary Wanderer

Fascinating essays on Sinatra and popular culture during the 40's and 50's. Insightful and though provoking, this book is a serious study of the impact Sinatra had  on popular culture and beyond through his music and personality.  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Kullervo

Quote from: Novitiate on October 26, 2007, 09:38:45 AM
John Ruskin. No, it's not very good.

Really? I thought he would be pretty good if Proust translated his works.