What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anne

SonicMan46

Quote from: Anne on April 23, 2007, 05:02:14 PM
I have the Steinberg Choral Masterworks if anyone has any questions.

Anne - of course, many interested in these choral works have questions?   ::)

The page length of this book is similar to the one I own by Berger - which is decent coverage, but many works are not included, and the discussions are at times 'superficial'; thus, what do you think of the Steinberg book - happy w/ the works discussed, complete vs. superficial, works of interest missing, etc.  We would certainly appreciate your comments - I'd likely buy the book if someone offered a 'better' review than the one currently on the Amazon site.  Thanks for any comments that you might provide?
:)

Anne

Quote from: SonicMan on April 23, 2007, 05:58:39 PM
Anne - of course, many interested in these choral works have questions?   ::)

The page length of this book is similar to the one I own by Berger - which is decent coverage, but many works are not included, and the discussions are at times 'superficial'; thus, what do you think of the Steinberg book - happy w/ the works discussed, complete vs. superficial, works of interest missing, etc.  We would certainly appreciate your comments - I'd likely buy the book if someone offered a 'better' review than the one currently on the Amazon site.  Thanks for any comments that you might provide?
:)

I am quite happy with the book.  Of Steinberg's 3 books, Symphony, Concerto, and Choral Masterworks, I like the Choral Masterworks the best.  It's very readable.

On Haydn's Creation - Steinberg devotes 7 pages, The Seasons 5 pages.  Beethoven's Missa Solemnis - 15 pages.  I was disappointed that Bach's Christmas Oratorio was not included.

Tomorrow I'll list the Table of Contents.

Give me a chance to reread one of the works discussed.  I took the book with me when I went home last time (3 months ago) and forgot to bring it back to my daughter's home.  A week ago I finally had it back in my possession.

Thom

Haffner

Quote from: George on April 23, 2007, 05:09:23 PM
Why is the sky blue?  ;D

(Quote from the now defunct "Get a Life" tv show): "Uh, do you like root beer?"

By the way awesome signature quote, George, I sent it as an e-mail to my girl today.

Haffner

Wagner's Operas (Newman)

Really cool in its comparison of the original sketch/libretto to the final. Newman felt that certain edits in the "Ring..." libretto took something "Ancient Greek"-y from the finished product. Not sure if I'm quite clear/agree on that point, but I wonder if Wagner was more concerned with Shakespeare than Othello when finishing the Great Music Drama.

George

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 06:07:42 AM

(Quote from the now defunct "Get a Life" tv show): "Uh, do you like root beer?"

By the way awesome signature quote, George, I sent it as an e-mail to my girl today.

I knew you'd love it!

I put it up for you.  :)

Haffner

Quote from: George on April 24, 2007, 07:18:38 AM
I knew you'd love it!

I put it up for you.  :)

THANKS!

Schubert is definitely a man whom knew alot about Eternal Light in music, in my humble opinion.

George

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 07:21:24 AM

THANKS!

Schubert is definitely a man whom knew alot about Eternal Light in music, in my humble opinion.

Me too!

Apparently he wrote that quote in his diary at 19.

Haffner

Quote from: George on April 24, 2007, 07:22:57 AM
Me too!

Apparently he wrote that quote in his diary at 19.

I'm digressing, but I believe that at least one of Maestro Gustav Mahler's final words was "Mozart".

DavidW

Quote from: Mozart on April 07, 2007, 12:00:39 PM
[width=200 height=200 img]http://i.walmart.com/i/p/09/78/04/86/28/0978048628133_500X500.jpg[/img]

It's difficult, I spend a day on just 1 proof.

I read a number theory book recently as well M.  The neat things I learned was how to compute gcd's without factoring, and how to do RSS encryption/decryption.  I wrote simple C programs for both.  It was a fun afternoon. :)

Have you learned anything neat from that book?

DavidW

I've been reading mysteries by Elizabeth George, Agatha Christie, Colin Dexter, Val McDermid, James Doss, and Michael McGarity.  I'm really hooked into the soap operas style that is Elizabeth George. :D  The most clever mysteries are by Colin Dexter, he really confounds me.  Agatha Christie is pretty slick, but I've figured out her tricks and I'm pretty good at guessing the killer.  Anybody else into mysteries?  Who are you reading?

For fantasy I've been gradually making my way through George RR Martin's fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire.  I'm currently on the third volume, A Storm of Swords, and I'm utterly hooked.  Brilliant characterization and plotting, and very subtle use of magic here and there, it's the polar opposite of stories like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.  Even people who don't like fantasy will like this more mature series.  Any other Martin fans?

zamyrabyrd

I finally got around to DH Lawrence "Sons and Lovers", really liked it, especially the local colour.
Also have been re-appreciating but not reading all: "The Beethoven Companion" and "Beethoven Impressions from Contemporaries, mainly for preparing a class.
Other books paging thru are "The Amino Revolution" and "Amino Acids in Therapy", popular health books.

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Harry

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on April 24, 2007, 09:32:46 AM
I finally got around to DH Lawrence "Sons and Lovers", really liked it, especially the local colour.

ZB

I have almost all the writings by Lawrence, and he is high on my list of writers I admire. :)

AnthonyAthletic

There Must be something wrong with me, I have been reading and still am novels by Jeffery Deaver, James Patterson & Harlen Coben.  Mostly of the Serial Killer ilk, slaughter at its best, can you work out who dunnit etc

The next one I may read is by Deaver who's Serial Killer kills people via random Computer Hacking, he stalks forums and picks out people he doesn't like, and next you are a goner....never knowing what hit you.  ;D  "The Blue Nowhere"

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

DavidW

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on April 24, 2007, 09:39:24 AM
There Must be something wrong with me, I have been reading and still am novels by Jeffery Deaver, James Patterson & Harlen Coben.  Mostly of the Serial Killer ilk, slaughter at its best, can you work out who dunnit etc

The next one I may read is by Deaver who's Serial Killer kills people via random Computer Hacking, he stalks forums and picks out people he doesn't like, and next you are a goner....never knowing what hit you.  ;D  "The Blue Nowhere"

Hmm I know a few people from gmg that might match that description... ;D  I'll check it out of the library if they have it. :)

Was Patterson the guy that wrote Kiss the Girls?  The movie was pretty good.

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Harry on April 24, 2007, 09:35:24 AM
I have almost all the writings by Lawrence, and he is high on my list of writers I admire. :)

His writing about nature is very fine, not pretentious at all. S&L was his most autobiographical, right?
I was surprised at the ending, but Paul was compelled to cut all those ties that bound him to the past.
I felt the poor lass who waited for him was used out, similar to the other one as well.

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Harry

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on April 24, 2007, 09:44:30 AM
His writing about nature is very fine, not pretentious at all. S&L was his most autobiographical, right?
I was surprised at the ending, but Paul was compelled to cut all those ties that bound him to the past.
I felt the poor lass who waited for him was used out, similar to the other one as well.

ZB

Yes it is!

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: DavidW on April 24, 2007, 09:43:34 AM
Hmm I know a few people from gmg that might match that description... ;D  I'll check it out of the library if they have it. :)

;D And they are ALL Americans  ;D  ;D  ;D

QuoteWas Patterson the guy that wrote Kiss the Girls?  The movie was pretty good.

Sure was, just finished that last month...and his first book "Along came a spider".  Gary Soneji a rival to Hannibal Lecter...the movie was pretty poor as they killed Sonjei off half way through, but he was alive and well in his padded cell come the end of the book.  Book being much better than the movie.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)