What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS, Brian, Pohjolas Daughter and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Haffner

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on April 24, 2007, 09:50:24 AM
;D And they are ALL Americans  ;D  ;D  ;D

Sure was, just finished that last month...and his first book "Along came a spider".  Gary Soneji a rival to Hannibal Lecter...the movie was pretty poor as they killed Sonjei off half way through, but he was alive and well in his padded cell come the end of the book.  Book being much better than the movie.

Patterson is tremendous!

I read a relatively recent book by John Sandford, another great one. It was about this redneck-ish type whom has his whole family behind his sociopathic deeds, as well as a homosexual yes man who's dying to do him. As usual, the hero is marvellous and the storytelling captivating. I'm betting you've read and enjoyed Sandford, A.?

jwinter

I've just started Don Quixote, because I've managed to make it through life this long without it, and figured I should remedy that situation.  I spent a pleasant half hour in Borders yesterday reading the opening few pages in about seven or eight different English translations, trying to find one I liked (I'm such a dork).  I settled on Ormsby (which is the one used by Project Gutenburg, btw), as he seems to bring out the humor rather more than some of the others, and I think his slightly archaic manner of speech suits the subject very nicely.  Most of the modern ones seemed very dry to me, though again that's based on just the first few pages.  Marvelous book so far though, I was hooked by the end of the first chapter...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Haffner

Quote from: jwinter on April 24, 2007, 09:55:55 AM
I've just started Don Quixote, because I've managed to make it through life this long without it, and figured I should remedy that situation.  I spent a pleasant half hour in Borders yesterday reading the opening few pages in about seven or eight different English translations, trying to find one I liked (I'm such a dork). 

That sounds like fun, not being a "dork"!

Pause for stunned Andy revelation:

Wait...I'm a dork :o!

GAD!!! :o

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 09:54:09 AM

Patterson is tremendous!

I read a relatively recent book by John Sandford, another great one. It was about this redneck-ish type whom has his whole family behind his sociopathic deeds, as well as a homosexual yes man who's dying to do him. As usual, the hero is marvellous and the storytelling captivating. I'm betting you've read and enjoyed Sandford, A.?

Not read any Sandford, but my book reading mate at work who introduced me to Deaver, Patterson, Coben & Co loves him.  He could be on the list very soon.

What I like about Patterson especially in his Alex Cross (Morgan Freeman  ;D ) books is the way he writes in the first person.

Deaver is different, he challenges you to work out the story....haven't managed to beat him before the end yet, especially in his Lincoln Rhyme series, Bone Collector etc etc

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

George

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 09:59:03 AM

That sounds like fun, not being a "dork"!

Pause for stunned Andy revelation:

Wait...I'm a dork :o!

GAD!!! :o

Dorks aren't usually aware that they are dorks, perhaps you are a nerd?  ;)

Haffner

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on April 24, 2007, 10:01:57 AM
Not read any Sandford, but my book reading mate at work who introduced me to Deaver, Patterson, Coben & Co loves him.  He could be on the list very soon.

What I like about Patterson especially in his Alex Cross (Morgan Freeman  ;D ) books is the way he writes in the first person.

Deaver is different, he challenges you to work out the story....haven't managed to beat him before the end yet, especially in his Lincoln Rhyme series, Bone Collector etc etc

Yes, Patterson's characterization of Cross is classic. If you like Patterson that much, definently try out the Sandford, Anthony, you won't regret it. In fact, you'll probably get hooked!

George

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 10:05:25 AM

Yes, Patterson's characterization of Cross is classic. If you like Patterson that much, definently try out the Sandford, Anthony, you won't regret it. In fact, you'll probably get hooked!

And if you don't, then you'll have to wear this:

;D ;D ;D

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: George on April 24, 2007, 10:08:18 AM

;D ;D ;D

Ah, but what's on the back of the T-Shirt George?

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Haffner

Quote from: George on April 24, 2007, 10:08:18 AM

;D ;D ;D

The crime of the century: no spin-off for Aunt Esther!

Danny

Quote from: jwinter on April 24, 2007, 09:55:55 AM
I've just started Don Quixote, because I've managed to make it through life this long without it, and figured I should remedy that situation.  I spent a pleasant half hour in Borders yesterday reading the opening few pages in about seven or eight different English translations, trying to find one I liked (I'm such a dork).  I settled on Ormsby (which is the one used by Project Gutenburg, btw), as he seems to bring out the humor rather more than some of the others, and I think his slightly archaic manner of speech suits the subject very nicely.  Most of the modern ones seemed very dry to me, though again that's based on just the first few pages.  Marvelous book so far though, I was hooked by the end of the first chapter...

Read several hundred pages out of the Tobias Smollet translation from the 18th century (pubished by the Modern Library), but stopped.  Afraid I can't go back, either.  I really loved the vivid and vibrant translation, too.   :(

jwinter

Quote from: Danny on April 24, 2007, 12:49:25 PM
Read several hundred pages out of the Tobias Smollet translation from the 18th century (pubished by the Modern Library), but stopped.  Afraid I can't go back, either.  I really loved the vivid and vibrant translation, too.   :(

Did you just run out of steam, or is there something about the book you disliked?
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Anne

Quote from: SonicMan on April 23, 2007, 05:58:39 PM
Anne - of course, many interested in these choral works have questions?   ::)

The page length of this book is similar to the one I own by Berger - which is decent coverage, but many works are not included, and the discussions are at times 'superficial'; thus, what do you think of the Steinberg book - happy w/ the works discussed, complete vs. superficial, works of interest missing, etc.  We would certainly appreciate your comments - I'd likely buy the book if someone offered a 'better' review than the one currently on the Amazon site.  Thanks for any comments that you might provide?
:)
Table of Contents

Adams
   Harmonium   9

Bach
   The Passions   16
      Saint John Passion   18
      Saint Matthew Passion   26
   Magnificat   31
   Mass in B Minor   34

Beethoven
   Missa Solemnis   45

Berlioz
   Requiem   61

Brahms
   A German Requiem   68
   The Shorter Choral Works   75
      Schicksalsl (Song of Destiny)   76
      Nanie (Lament)   81
      Gesangder Parzen (Song of the Fates)   83

Britten
   War Requiem   86

Cherubini
   Requiem in C Minor   97

Dallapiccola
   Canti di prigonia (Songs of Captivity)   104

Dvorak
Stabat Mater   113

Elgar
   The Dream of Gerontius   119

Faure
   Requiem   131

Handel
   Messiah   138
   Der messias (arr. Mozart)   150

Haydn
   Harmoniemesse   (Wind-Band Mass)   155
   Two Great Oratories   159
      Die Schopfung (The Creation)   163
      Die Jahreszeiten (The Seasons)   171

Honegger
   Le Roi David (King David)   177

Janacek
   Glagolitic Mass   186

Kodaly
   Psalmus hungaricus   194

Mendelssohn
   Elias (Elifah)   200

Mozart
   The Shorter Choral Works   210
   Mass in C Minor   212
   Requiem   219

Orff
   Carmina burana   230

Rachmaninoff
   The Bells   238

Schmidt
   Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln (The Book With Seven Seals)  243

Sessions
   When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd   252

Stravinsky
   The Wedding   257
   Persephone   260
   Symphony of Psalms   265
   Mass   269
  CanticumSacrum (Sacred Canticle)   273
   Requiem Canticles   277

Tippett
   A Child of Our Time   280

Vaughan Williams
   A Sea Symphony   288
   Sancta Civitas   295

Verdi
   Requiem   301

Walton
   Belshazzar's Feast   311

Wuorinen
   Genesis   317

----------------------------
I like Steinberg's book, Choral Masterworks , very much.
The above table of contents is for that book.

I'd like to apologize to everyone whose conversation I interrupted.  Please forgive.

Anne

I think the coverage is very good.  Not being a musician, it does not bother me that he does not show the musical notes when he's discussing some point.  This book has a lot more info in it and is not superficial.  If it were, you'd hear me complaining loud and long.  I think at amazon you can click on the book at which point you can choose to read a page or two.  I think you can repeat the process several time.  I hope this helps.

I do not know choral works very well at all, having just started that genre this last Christmas with Rene Jacobs' Haydn Four Seasons and Bach's Christmas Oratorio.  For Haydn's Creation I have von Karajan's performance Janowitz, Ludwig, Wunderlich, Werner Krenn D. Fischer-Dieskau.  People here at GMG recommended those 3 recordings and were they ever right!!!  All 3 recordings are wonderful and I have become a fan of Rene Jacobs.  Due to The Creation and Four Seasons I now like Haydn.  I've not been a Bach fan yet either but Jacobs changed my mind about that composer too.

If an important work were missing, I might not notice the omission.  Sorry I'm not more help but I don't know this book like I know How We Die.

Bogey

Quote from: Anne on April 24, 2007, 06:38:22 PM
Table of Contents

Mozart
   The Shorter Choral Works   210
   Mass in C Minor   212
   Requiem   219

Orff
   Carmina burana   230

Are you sure that the Requiem only runs 12 pages Anne?....Has to be a typo.  That last number must read 330. :) 0:)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Anne on April 24, 2007, 06:38:22 PM
Table of Contents

Adams
   Harmonium   9

Bach
   The Passions   16
      Saint John Passion   18
      Saint Matthew Passion   26
   Magnificat   31
   Mass in B Minor   34

Beethoven
   Missa Solemnis   45
----------------------------
I like Steinberg's book, Choral Masterworks , very much.
The above table of contents is for that book.

Anne  - thanks for the listing of the TOC in Steinberg's book on choral works - not @ home at the moment to check the list against my Berger book, but many of the same works seem to be covered - however, once checked, I'll probably go ahead and order the Steinberg, anyway -  :D

Anne

Bill,

I checked the Mozart Requiem and it goes from p. 219 to p. 230.

Anne

Quote from: SonicMan on April 25, 2007, 04:38:35 AM
Anne  - thanks for the listing of the TOC in Steinberg's book on choral works - not @ home at the moment to check the list against my Berger book, but many of the same works seem to be covered - however, once checked, I'll probably go ahead and order the Steinberg, anyway -  :D

If you get the Steinberg book, would you let me know how it compares with the Berger book?  I may get the Berger book if you think it is worthwhile.

Don Giovanni

Notes from Underground - Dostoyevsky

Very interesting. I haven't really got into it yet. I enjoyed Crime and Punishment, though.

Anne

Quote from: Don Giovanni on April 26, 2007, 05:25:51 AM
Notes from Underground - Dostoyevsky

Very interesting. I haven't really got into it yet. I enjoyed Crime and Punishment, though.

Don,

The Teaching Co. has a class you might enjoy - "Classics of Russian Literature."  Today is the last day it is on sale at 70% off.  I have bought many of their music classes and enjoy them.

Here is the link:

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=2830&id=2830&pc=Literature%20and%20English%20Language

I am not associated with that company except as a customer.