What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: AndyD. on June 28, 2016, 07:53:16 AM
Oh no! I just ordered no.1...I'll have to grab 0 next. See? Mention Busiek and Conan to me and I'm all over it lol. And THANKS!

And if you have a Kindle Ange, be sure to get this beauty of a set:

https://www.amazon.com/Robert-E-Howard-Omnibus-Collected-ebook/dp/B003O86R5M/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1467132625&sr=8-14&keywords=robert+e+howard#nav-subnav

Check out the list by clicking the Read More tab.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

AndyD.

Quote from: Bogey on June 28, 2016, 08:51:27 AM
And if you have a Kindle Ange, be sure to get this beauty of a set:

https://www.amazon.com/Robert-E-Howard-Omnibus-Collected-ebook/dp/B003O86R5M/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1467132625&sr=8-14&keywords=robert+e+howard#nav-subnav

Check out the list by clicking the Read More tab.

Oh heck, I'll probably just buy the omnibus in print. I just can't seem to convert to the digital format (hate it). I'm one of those weirdos whom still buy CDs, books, comics, blu-rays....
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

Bogey

Quote from: AndyD. on June 28, 2016, 10:45:02 AM
Oh heck, I'll probably just buy the omnibus in print. I just can't seem to convert to the digital format (hate it). I'm one of those weirdos whom still buy CDs, books, comics, blu-rays....

I am the same way (in fact, the old paperbacks are my choice), but paper versions of all of Howard's stuff....if you can find it all....would be hundreds of dollars I believe. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Ken B

Quote from: Bogey on June 28, 2016, 01:52:47 PM
I am the same way (in fact, the old paperbacks are my choice), but paper versions of all of Howard's stuff....if you can find it all....would be hundreds of dollars I believe.

What I like about the Kindle is font size. big help

Also the previously hard to find books. You would love Aunt Agatha's in Ann Arbor bill. They have a rack of good condition 40s, 50s and 60s Pockets.

Karl Henning

At last (because I chanced to learn yesterday that there is now a Kindle edition):

[asin]B019N4X23A[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

AndyD.

Quote from: karlhenning on June 29, 2016, 02:56:07 AM
At last (because I chanced to learn yesterday that there is now a Kindle edition):

[asin]B019N4X23A[/asin]

Waittaminute...I have (and LOVE) the Schoenberg by Charles Rosen, but haven't even HEARD of this. Okay, this is mandatory for me. Thanks for the head up, Karl.

Quote from: Bogey on June 28, 2016, 01:52:47 PM

Hi Bill! I am super lucky in that my old German uncle is an ex-literature professor whose apartment is practically composed of books. He sends me all kinds from Amazon (he's a Prime addict), so when it comes to printed material, I get practically whatever I want (I don't read erotica, so don't even ask...lol!). He'll probably shoot me the whole collection. The only Howard I have (and keep in mind I've had ALL the Conan over the years) currently are his often super creepy short stories.

My rockin' Metal wife:

Bogey

Had to abandon the Perry Mason novel.  Got about a third in and could not take anymore of the wooden dialogue.  Still, a very cool cover.  So, moving to this, which seems to be serviceable so far:

Karl Henning

Quote from: AndyD. on June 29, 2016, 08:04:49 AM
Waittaminute...I have (and LOVE) the Schoenberg by Charles Rosen, but haven't even HEARD of this. Okay, this is mandatory for me. Thanks for the head up, Karl.

Hi Bill! I am super lucky in that my old German uncle is an ex-literature professor whose apartment is practically composed of books. He sends me all kinds from Amazon (he's a Prime addict), so when it comes to printed material, I get practically whatever I want (I don't read erotica, so don't even ask...lol!). He'll probably shoot me the whole collection. The only Howard I have (and keep in mind I've had ALL the Conan over the years) currently are his often super creepy short stories.
Lovely discussion of Verklärte Nacht.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

AndyD.

I'm just finishing this fantastic arc, one of the best I've read from Marvel; beginning from Avengers Disassembled , moving onto House of M, Messiah Complex and Messiah Wars, and pretty much finishing with X-men: Second Coming. Terrific epic, with characters I grew quite fond of (Cable).

My rockin' Metal wife:

aligreto

It has been a while since I have read any Evelyn Waugh....

kishnevi

(poco) Sforzando

I am just finishing this novel, which purports to be both a mystery story and a history of philosophy. The book was apparently a best-seller in Europe several decades ago (though who knows how many read it through), and the conceit is interesting: Sophie, a Norwegian teenager, is mysteriously contacted by an unknown teacher who introduces her to philosophy, and as the book goes on, we find that Sophie and her teacher are actually characters in a book being written about both of them for another girl (Hilde), and of course all these characters exist only in the book published by Jostein Gaarder. As the book proceeds, we get capsule summaries of many of the great philosophers and other important thinkers including Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas, Descartes, Spinoza, Locke, Hume, Berkeley, Kant, Hegel, Kierkegaard, Darwin, Marx, Freud, and Sartre (though some other key figures like Leibniz, Heidegger, and Nietzsche get short shrift). Though the book is valuable for all its intros to the major philosophers, the textbook/history side of things doesn't fit very well with the slim novelistic plot, and none of the characters has much personality.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Jo498

Yeah, this was in the early mid/nineties an unexpected success. It is a nice introduction but overall I do not think the fusion with the novel plot works very well. Bishop Berkeley's idealism is supposed to provide the link (but even this was not easy for me to understand when I read it >20 years ago not having been familiar with Berkeley before).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Jaakko Keskinen

Not the same edition as in the picture, though.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

AndyD.

As I get old (ahem, "-er"), I find myself reading more and more for the fun of reading. This was the perfect bit of hilarious super...uh, mercenary joy for the day.

My rockin' Metal wife:

Ken B

kishnevi

Bogey

Quote from: Ken B on July 04, 2016, 05:16:40 AM
[asin]0857685813[/asin]

Thoughts so far, Ken?  I appreciate the artwork on the covers to try and put the reader instantly in the era of the story.  Nice to see that this genre is being explored by young authors in mass at this time.  Let me know if you hit any newer authors that are exceptional in your opinion.

Bogey

Quote from: NikF on June 23, 2016, 07:04:21 AM
I'm in the gym and waiting for a bench. I knew it would be busy so I brought a book which I'm reading while alternately checking out the women and sneering at the hoi polloi.

You might have seen the film based on the book http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049291/

How's it so far?  I may have to track down a copy.