The Beatles Backyard

Started by George, May 01, 2007, 06:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your 3 favorite Beatles Albums?

Please Please Me
With the Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
Yellow Submarine
The Beatles (White Album)
Let It Be
Abbey Road
Past Masters, Vol 1
Past Masters, Vol 2

George

It seems time for a Beatles thread.

Thought we'd start with a fun poll.

Since so many of their albums are great, you have 3 votes, which need to be used the first time you vote.

I left out all of the compilation CD's, except for Past Masters, as they have many songs that aren't available on the albums.

Let's have some fun!! :)

George

BTW, the order of the albums is order of release.

My three faves come right in a row:

1. Rubber Soul

2. Revolver

3. Sgt. Pepper

dtwilbanks

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 06:25:02 PM

1. Rubber Soul

2. Revolver

3. Sgt. Pepper

Me too.

George

Any ideas for topics to discuss?

Favorite Beatle? Why?

Ever get to see them in concert?

Got any rare stuff?

hornteacher

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 06:25:02 PM

1. Rubber Soul

2. Revolver

3. Sgt. Pepper

Wow, are you sure we're not related or something?  You pegged my three favorites as well.  Such a creative period in their history and the arguements hadn't started yet.  Wonderful albums.  My favorite tracks off those albums are: Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, Taxman, E. Rigby, Lucy in the Sky, Within You Without You, Day in the Life (well, pretty much everything).

Don

My votes went to Hard Day's Night, White Album and Sgt. Pepper.

George

Quote from: hornteacher on May 01, 2007, 06:31:05 PM
Wow, are you sure we're not related or something?  You pegged my three favorites as well.  Such a creative period in their history and the arguements hadn't started yet.  Wonderful albums.  My favorite tracks off those albums are: Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, Taxman, E. Rigby, Lucy in the Sky, Within You Without You, Day in the Life (well, pretty much everything).

;D

Imagine releasing three albums in a row without a dud in the bunch.  :o 

I doubt if that's ever been equalled.

Personally, I think that when CD's came out, Rubber Soul and Revolver should have been released on the same CD. They are certainly short enough.

If forced to pick just one, I would say Revolver without hesitation. Simply unbelievable!  :) 

George

Quote from: Don on May 01, 2007, 06:33:12 PM
My votes went to Hard Day's Night, White Album and Sgt. Pepper.

Those three would probably follow mine.

hornteacher

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 06:28:37 PM
Ever get to see them in concert?

I saw Paul live in 1992 when he came to Charlotte.  The concert was broadcast nationally on TV and was very good.  He played a mix of Beatles, Wings, and new songs from the then just released "Off the Ground" Album.  He played over two hours plus an encore with a guitar duel during "Sgt Pepper" and a sing along with "Hey Jude".  Great night.

George

Quote from: hornteacher on May 01, 2007, 06:36:28 PM
I saw Paul in 1992 when he came to Charlotte.  The concert was broadcast nationally on TV and was very good.  He played a mix of Beatles, Wings, and new songs from the then just released "Off the Ground" Album.  He played over two hours plus an encore with a guitar duel during "Sgt Pepper" and a sing along with "Hey Jude".  Great night.

I heard him live on TV in the past few years and it sure sounds like his voice is dropping off, so you were lucky to hear him when you did.

I still love that live version of "Maybe I'm Amazed." Did he do that one?

hornteacher

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 06:35:17 PM
Personally, I think that when CD's came out, Rubber Soul and Revolver should have been released on the same CD.

Interestingly, George Harrison said sort of the same thing in one of his interviews.  He believed that the two albums could be viewed as Volume 1 and Volume 2.

George

Quote from: hornteacher on May 01, 2007, 06:40:39 PM
Interestingly, George Harrison said sort of the same thing in one of his interviews.  He believed that the two albums could be viewed as Volume 1 and Volume 2.

That's because I am The Taxman George Harrison.  ;D

hornteacher

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 06:38:18 PM
I heard him live on TV in the past few years and it sure sounds like his voice is dropping off, so you were lucky to hear him when you did.

I still love that live version of "Maybe I'm Amazed." Did he do that one?

Yes, and his voice was still in good shape then, although I noticed he played "Yesterday" in F rather than the original G.  I respect Sir Paul greatly, but I think after Flaming Pie (which was a fantastic album) his writing hasn't been quite as good.  But hey, he's only been churning out hits for 40 years!

hornteacher

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 06:42:23 PM
That's because I am The Taxman George Harrison.  ;D

I guess that makes me the Walrus!  ;D

George

Quote from: hornteacher on May 01, 2007, 06:45:20 PM
Yes, and his voice was still in good shape then, although I noticed he played "Yesterday" in F rather than the original G.  I respect Sir Paul greatly, but I think after Flaming Pie (which was a fantastic album) his writing hasn't been quite as good.  But hey, he's only been churning out hits for 40 years!

Indeed. How was that Classical CD he put out?

George

hornteacher

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 06:46:39 PM
Indeed. How was that Classical CD he put out?

He actually put out two.  "Standing Stone" and the "Liverpool Oratorio".  To be honest, for someone who spent his life writing popular music by ear and had no formal musical training, its not half bad.  The form is more free than most "classical" pieces, but he handles orchestraion well and (as you would expect from Paul) has some of the prettiest melodies you can imagine.

hornteacher

Oh jeez, I just saw the time.  I've got to teach tomorrow.  Got to get to bed.  Darn career gets in the way of a good online conversation.   :P

Later.

George

Quote from: hornteacher on May 01, 2007, 06:55:30 PM
Oh jeez, I just saw the time.  I've got to teach tomorrow.  Got to get to bed.  Darn career gets in the way of a good online conversation.   :P

Later.

I'll be here.

Nice chatting!