The Beatles Backyard

Started by George, May 01, 2007, 06:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your 3 favorite Beatles Albums?

Please Please Me
With the Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
Yellow Submarine
The Beatles (White Album)
Let It Be
Abbey Road
Past Masters, Vol 1
Past Masters, Vol 2

dtwilbanks

I first heard the American versions of my picks, by the way. The UK albums are a bit different before Sgt. Pepper's. But you knew that.

George

I took a course on college on the Beatles.

It was great fun and I learned a lot about the Beatles.

We used this book as a text for the course. I strongly recommend it, as it discusses the music without going into music theory. Tons of great trivia.

George

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 01, 2007, 06:57:46 PM
I first heard the American versions of my picks, by the way. The UK albums are a bit different before Sgt. Pepper's. But you knew that.

I did know that.

Remind me the difference?

dtwilbanks

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 07:10:09 PM
I did know that.

Remind me the difference?

America butchered the UK albums in order to make more albums--and more money.

George

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 01, 2007, 07:12:06 PM

Right, I've heard that in order to have all of the Beatles output, one need only get all of the UK versions of the albums AND Past masters one and two.

Volume two is excellent IMO, with the Electric version of Revolution, Hey Jude and Inner Light.

George

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 01, 2007, 07:12:06 PM

I believe that it's the source of inspiration for this cover:

dtwilbanks

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 07:16:34 PM
I believe that it's the source of inspiration for this cover:

Yep.

Bogey

A Hard Day's Night
Revolver
Magical Mystery Tour

and Please Please Me just losing by a nose to A Hard Day's Night.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

The Mad Hatter

My three favourite are Abbey Road, the White Album and Revolver. In no particular order...

sunnyside_up

My top two have always been Rubber Soul and Revolver, but 3 is tricky, I went for Past Masters 2 since it lines up a few of my favourite Beatles tunes all on one CD.

Dancing Divertimentian

Goodness! What a toughy...

Probably Abbey Road for the top spot. It just doesn't get any better than the "side two" medley (Here Comes The Sun and beyond).

White Album next.

Third is up in the air...Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, and Past Masters Vol. 2 each have something to say (as it were) although I might lean slightly towards Sgt. Peppers on the strength of Lennon's ballads (Lucy In The Sky and Day In The Life).

Although Revolver does contain my favorite Beatles tune, Eleanor Rigby, with Rubber Soul containing my second and third favorite Beatles tunes, Norwegian Wood, and Nowhere Man.

Then there's Past Masters Vol. 2 with all those spectacular singles: Hey Jude, Revolution, Lady Madonna, etc... And Magical Mystery Tour with Strawberry Fields, Fool On The Hill, and I Am The Walrus.

So it's a toss up. Probably Sgt. Peppers since, well, the music's just so out of this world colorful!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: donwyn on May 02, 2007, 06:40:32 PM
Goodness! What a toughy...

Yeah, that's why I gave three choices.  :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Time was a couple decades ago when Beatlemania caught me firm in its clutches. Couldn't get enough of the Fab Fo...you know. ;)

Caught the collecting bug, too. Managed to pick up some fine collectable gems on LP, such as an Apple label White Album on white vinyl (very cool), Anthology 1962-66 on red vinyl (this acquisition actually predated my Beatlemania phase but was glad to have it!), several Apple label records in mint condition, and this Strawberry Fields bootleg.

Nothing spectacular on this bootleg but it does contain some interesting outtakes from various recording sessions, as well as a live Hey Jude.

Anyway, I made the mistake of selling the colored vinyl gems - as well as all the other records, actually! - but held on to this bootleg. It's since earned a hallowed position in my vinyl collection - and is staying put!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Danny

Golden slumbers fill your eyes /  Smiles aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawake you when you rise!

;D

sunnyside_up

George, I highly recommend this book if you haven't already read it - full of insights and interesting bits of info on each and every Beatles song.

Hector

They were so advanced and hearing them in the context of a lot of the garbage that passes as popular music nowadays they sound even better.

Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road and a toss up between the White Album and Let it Be, both seriously flawed, I opted for the latter.

Harry

Never liked the music, cannot stand it to be honest. :P

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 10:29:43 AM
Never liked the music, cannot stand it to be honest. :P

Blasphemy!

SimonGodders

I 'bumped' into Ringo on the Kings Road in Chelsea in 2000.

Recognised him immediately and stalked him down the road for a while, convinced I was tracking George Harrison! (Although as I approached him, realised who he was).

He stopped outside an antiques shop, at which I decided to take my chance and tap him on the shoulder. He whirled 'round and I tentively asked for his autograph, to which he exclaimed (In his nasaly Scouse drawl):

'Sorry mate, it's my day off'!!!
;D

I've 'met' one of the Fab Four!

SimonGodders

And for the record:

1. Revolver
2. Rubber Soul
3. White Album

:)