The Beatles Backyard

Started by George, May 01, 2007, 06:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your 3 favorite Beatles Albums?

Please Please Me
With the Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
Yellow Submarine
The Beatles (White Album)
Let It Be
Abbey Road
Past Masters, Vol 1
Past Masters, Vol 2

dtwilbanks

Quote from: SimonGodders on May 03, 2007, 10:37:53 AM
I 'bumped' into Ringo on the Kings Road in Chelsea in 2000.

Recognised him immediately and stalked him down the road for a while, convinced I was tracking George Harrison! (Although as I approached him, realised who he was).

He stopped outside an antiques shop, at which I decided to take my chance and tap him on the shoulder. He whirled 'round and I tentively asked for his autograph, to which he exclaimed (In his nasaly Scouse drawl):

'Sorry mate, it's my day off'!!!
;D

I've 'met' one of the Fab Four!

You got snubbed by the least talented one!

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on May 03, 2007, 10:37:53 AM
I 'bumped' into Ringo on the Kings Road in Chelsea in 2000.

Recognised him immediately and stalked him down the road for a while, convinced I was tracking George Harrison! (Although as I approached him, realised who he was).

He stopped outside an antiques shop, at which I decided to take my chance and tap him on the shoulder. He whirled 'round and I tentively asked for his autograph, to which he exclaimed (In his nasaly Scouse drawl):

'Sorry mate, it's my day off'!!!
;D

I've 'met' one of the Fab Four!

Great story!  :)

Quote from: SimonGodders on May 03, 2007, 10:39:44 AM
And for the record:

1. Revolver
2. Rubber Soul
3. White Album

:)

Yeah, for me it was either the White Album or Sgt. Pepper as #3. I picked Sgt. Pepper 'cause I listen to it more. I think I like (and admire) the White album more though. (I should've done 4 guesses :-\)

George

Harry

Quote from: George on May 03, 2007, 11:10:41 AM
Harry thinks Paul is a soprano.  ;D

Oke floor again George! ;D

jwinter

Rubber Soul is definitely my favorite album (of all time, by anybody), followed closely by Revolver -- #3 is a toughie, went with the White Album but I could change my mind tomorrow.  I definitely think 1966 was their best period -- I have a mix CD with all of Rubber Soul intermixed with some other singles and songs from Help! that were recorded at around the same time -- I probably play it more than any other pop CD in my collection.

I've been a huge Beatles fan my whole life.  I was heavily into it when I was in high school and college, had piles of bootlegs and the whole bit.  I've scaled back quite a bit in recent years, but I still listen to them regularly, and the first thing I did when I got my new PALM last week was import their whole catalog on MP3 ;D
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Danny

1) Abbey Road
2) Sgt. Pepper
3) A Hard Day's Night

SimonGodders

Quote from: George on May 03, 2007, 11:09:41 AM
Great story!  :)

Yeah, for me it was either the White Album or Sgt. Pepper as #3. I picked Sgt. Pepper 'cause I listen to it more. I think I like (and admire) the White album more though. (I should've done 4 guesses :-\)

Cheers dude  :)

For a fourth, I'ld have gone for either Abbey Road or Let it be (naked version)

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on May 03, 2007, 11:44:54 AM
Cheers dude  :)

For a fourth, I'ld have gone for either Abbey Road or Let it be (naked version)

Yes, I much prefer the Naked version. Esp. "The long and winding road"   :)

knight66

Quote from: jwinter on May 03, 2007, 11:27:23 AM

I've been a huge Beatles fan my whole life. 

I love this idea, springing forth from the womb, claiming, "Goo goo goo joob...where is my revolver???" Just like St Nicholas.

The very first LP I ever bought with birthday money was 'A hard Day's Night'.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

SimonGodders

Quote from: George on May 03, 2007, 11:48:46 AM
Yes, I much prefer the Naked version. Esp. "The long and winding road"   :)

Although would add that I've probably played 'Red' and 'Blue' much more than the others. Still find Sgt. Pepper overrated, but consider 'A day in the life' to be one of the greatest songs ever written...

dtwilbanks

Quote from: SimonGodders on May 03, 2007, 12:00:18 PM
Although would add that I've probably played 'Red' and 'Blue' much more than the others. Still find Sgt. Pepper overrated, but consider 'A day in the life' to be one of the greatest songs ever written...

Sgt. Pepper's is overrated, musically speaking. But the concept was new at the time which gives it historical cred.

SimonGodders

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 03, 2007, 12:08:29 PM
Sgt. Pepper's is overrated, musically speaking. But the concept was new at the time which gives it historical cred.

Yeah, I think kudos is deserved for conceptualisation, but as you say (and for me) just doesn't quite work as well musically. However, did you ever hear the 'Stones musical retort? It's bloody awful:

Not sure I agree with the sentiment expressed here though:

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/Rock-n-Roll/rolling_stones.htm

;D

helios

Good thread George.

My ranking would probably be:
1.  Abbey Road
2.  The Beatles
3.  Revolver

My favourite songs are largely not off Abbey Road (with the exception of Something), but that Side 2 medley is musical bliss - not much else in all of music comes close IMO.

The Beatles is just so inconsistent.  I adore so many of the songs (particularly Dear Prudence & Helter Skelter), but there's a lot of rubbish in there as well.

George

Quote from: helios on May 07, 2007, 10:11:38 AM
Good thread George.

My ranking would probably be:
1.  Abbey Road
2.  The Beatles
3.  Revolver

My favourite songs are largely not off Abbey Road (with the exception of Something), but that Side 2 medley is musical bliss - not much else in all of music comes close IMO.

Apparently the story behind that is that they had a bunch of short bits that weren't actually full songs. I think it was Billy Preston who suggested they make them into a medley. 

The Beatles is just so inconsistent.  I adore so many of the songs (particularly Dear Prudence & Helter Skelter), but there's a lot of rubbish in there as well.

I agree, at least in that I either love or hate their songs. Most I love, though.

Nice avatar BTW!  :D

orbital

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 10:29:43 AM
Never liked the music, cannot stand it to be honest. :P
:D although I can stand it to a degree, what I don't understand is the huge fuss. They may have been (very) influential in the development of popular music in general, but I don't see much in their music that is as revolutionary as say Led Zeppelin. What I hear in them more than anything else in is some catchy tunes. It is fair for me  to say that I respect them (Lennon in particular) for what they stood for more than for what they achieved in their music  :-[ :-[ :-[

cx

I chose the White Album, Revolver, and Abbey Road. The White Album has always been my favorite, containing maybe my favorite Beatles song "Happiness is a Warm Gun," plus so many others (Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I'm So Tired, Julia, Cry Baby Cry). The album is, I think, their most diverse (in terms of musical styles and "themes"): Helter Skelter (hard rock), Honey Pie ("music-hall" parody/homage), Blackbird, etc. (folk), Yer Blues, etc. (blues), and so on. And dare I say it may be their most experimental, as evidenced not only by the branching out into several different styles, but especially by "Revolution 9" with its collage of sounds and instances of musique concrète.

I should note that I'm much more of a Lennon fan than a McCartney fan (and I love Harrison despite his smaller output).

--CS

George

Quote from: orbital on May 07, 2007, 10:32:46 AM
:D although I can stand it to a degree, what I don't understand is the huge fuss. They may have been (very) influential in the development of popular music in general, but I don't see much in their music that is as revolutionary as say Led Zeppelin. What I hear in them more than anything else in is some catchy tunes. It is fair for me  to say that I respect them (Lennon in particular) for what they stood for more than for what they achieved in their music  :-[ :-[ :-[

There was a time when I would absolutely agree with you. These days, I love the Beatles for what they are, a bunch of regular guys who wrote regular tunes. I also love that many of these tunes are about love and other positive topics. their sense of humor is great, esp on songs like "Run For Your Life."

Sergeant Rock

This is the most sadistic poll ever. Only three choices? George, you bastard!

Past Masters Vol.1 (because I need those early singles)

Rubber Soul (because it's the best Beatles' album)

Magical Mystery Tour (because it's the most psychedelic Beatles' album)

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"