The Beatles Backyard

Started by George, May 01, 2007, 06:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your 3 favorite Beatles Albums?

Please Please Me
With the Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
Yellow Submarine
The Beatles (White Album)
Let It Be
Abbey Road
Past Masters, Vol 1
Past Masters, Vol 2

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 07, 2007, 12:11:11 PM
This is the most sadistic poll ever. Only three choices? George, you bastard!

>:D

Magical Mystery Tour (because it's the most psychedelic Beatles' album)

I like this one, too. I love singing it especially.  :)

Don

Quote from: orbital on May 07, 2007, 10:32:46 AM
:D although I can stand it to a degree, what I don't understand is the huge fuss.

Well, you would have had to be around back then to get the full impact of the group.

vandermolen

I had the good fortune to hear The Beatles twice live (actually all you heard was screaming) as my mum took me to see them (London Paladium and Wembley (or Hammersmith). My mum took me to see The Monkees too (don't laugh) all you heard was screaming also. I also went to the premieres of "Hard Day's Night" and "Yellow Submarine" (Ringo refused to sign my autograph book)

Now I listen to Miaskovsky Bax and Bantock  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

When I went to Miaskovsky Bax and Bantock, all you heard was screaming  8)

George

Quote from: Don on May 07, 2007, 12:20:11 PM
Well, you would have had to be around back then to get the full impact of the group.

Now that would have been nice.

Don

Quote from: George on May 07, 2007, 12:31:11 PM
Now that would have been nice.

Yes, very nice.  The only negative is that I'm now close to 60.

George

Quote from: Don on May 07, 2007, 12:39:27 PM
Yes, very nice.  The only negative is that I'm now close to 60.

We will still need you when you're 64.

sonic1

I owe Beatles "revolver" for getting me into music at all, since my parents and everyone around me lacked any interest in music. Revolver was given to me by a neighbor along with an 8-track of Kiss Destroyer, and a few other things.

My favs are white album, sgt. peppers, and magical mystery tour, though it is always hard to decide.

I like all their albums, old stuff and new.

and I also love the stones and the who, though they say your personality always aligns with one or the other (or the other).

Don

Quote from: George on May 07, 2007, 12:43:01 PM
We will still need you when you're 64.

Good to hear, although I have to say that I never thought well of the "64" song - too sappy.

George

Quote from: Don on May 07, 2007, 12:46:19 PM
Good to hear, although I have to say that I never thought well of the "64" song - too sappy.

Not a Paul person?

sonic1

I'm an ono person myself.  >:D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Captain Haddock on May 07, 2007, 12:24:23 PM
I also went to the premieres of "Hard Day's Night" and "Yellow Submarine" (Ringo refused to sign my autograph book)

We now have two anecdotes in which Ringo refused to sign his name. Can we surmise anything from this? Maybe he couldn't write! ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

The two DVD set of "Hard Day's Night" is on sale at Virgin Megastore for $10.

SimonGodders

Quote from: helios on May 07, 2007, 10:11:38 AM
The Beatles is just so inconsistent.  I adore so many of the songs (particularly Dear Prudence & Helter Skelter), but there's a lot of rubbish in there as well.

I love Helter Skelter. There's a cover of it on U2's Rattle and Hum, where Bono (IIRC) introduces it as 'A song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles, we're stealing it back'.

Whats that all about then?

orbital

Quote from: Don on May 07, 2007, 12:20:11 PM
Sure, but if they are still as highly regarded today, then there must be something that I am missing there. I have no doubts about their cultural influence -which is almost a quantifiable fact, but the music that they have recorded.
The reason I gave Led Zeppelin as an example is, today we still have hords of bands trying (but failing) to be Led Zeppelin. Can we say the same thing about the Beatles?

Don

Quote from: orbital on May 07, 2007, 01:09:14 PM
Sure, but if they are still as highly regarded today, then there must be something that I am missing there. I have no doubts about their cultural influence -which is almost a quantifiable fact, but the music that they have recorded.
The reason I gave Led Zeppelin as an example is, today we still have hords of bands trying (but failing) to be Led Zeppelin. Can we say the same thing about the Beatles?

Beats me.  I haven't followed rock music since the late 1970's.

bwv 1080

There is always Oasis

Dancing Divertimentian

Trying - and failing - to be Led Zepplin is telling in itself.

With the Beatles (no pun...) it makes no sense to even try.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

helios

Quote from: George on May 07, 2007, 10:21:01 AM
Apparently the story behind that is that they had a bunch of short bits that weren't actually full songs. I think it was Billy Preston who suggested they make them into a medley. 

Nice avatar BTW!  :D

Yeah.. I don't think some of those songs in the medley could really be strung out another minute or so - perfect as they are.

I thought you'd like the avatar.  ;)