The Beatles Backyard

Started by George, May 01, 2007, 06:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your 3 favorite Beatles Albums?

Please Please Me
With the Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
Yellow Submarine
The Beatles (White Album)
Let It Be
Abbey Road
Past Masters, Vol 1
Past Masters, Vol 2

helios

Quote from: CS on May 07, 2007, 10:43:37 AM
I should note that I'm much more of a Lennon fan than a McCartney fan (and I love Harrison despite his smaller output).

Yes, completely agree.  I guess it's not surprising that our 3 favourite albums are the same.

All things must pass by Harrison is very underrated.

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: helios on May 08, 2007, 01:08:30 AM
Yes, completely agree.  I guess it's not surprising that our 3 favourite albums are the same.

Nearly all of my favourite Beatles songs are his. He's got such a small catalogue compared to the other two, but to the best of my knowledge, he didn't write a single bad song. (as I only own five 'proper' Beatles albums and 1, I'm not certain about this...)

George

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on May 08, 2007, 03:52:49 AM
Nearly all of my favourite Beatles songs are his. He's got such a small catalogue compared to the other two, but to the best of my knowledge, he didn't write a single bad song.

My avatar is blushing.  8)

orbital

Quote from: donwyn on May 07, 2007, 05:14:50 PM
Trying - and failing - to be Led Zepplin is telling in itself.

With the Beatles (no pun...) it makes no sense to even try.

I know. They already wrote and recorded all the catchy tunes that were still available >:D >:D

hornteacher

I'll contend that George's final album "Brainwashed" is hugely underrated.  It was 95% finished at the time of his death and completed by his son and producer Jeff Lynne (formally of the ELO).  It is an album of meaningful music, lovely melodies, some incredible slide guitar playing, and a spiritual message not found in music today.  Fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwashed-George-Harrison/dp/B00006LSM3/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-4456605-3214401?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1178668035&sr=8-2

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 08, 2007, 09:30:44 PM
Do not believe it is complete....George, or someone else in the know, maybe you could finish it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea6ZcfJspcI&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR-SlkUgCRg&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xINfAYiWVhU&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnKbPSRyDo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd8JYA4MvlQ&mode=related&search=

Wow!  :o

If it's incomplete, I am sure that it's complete on the "Let it Be" movie. I don't have it.  :( That's one worth seeking out. I think I saw it once.

I can also check later and see how much of it is on The Beatles Anthology DVD. Looks like there's a track for it, but don't have the time right now. Later today, OK?  :)

Bogey

Quote from: George on June 09, 2007, 05:19:14 AM

Wow!  :o

If it's incomplete, I am sure that it's complete on the "Let it Be" movie. I don't have it.  :( That's one worth seeking out. I think I saw it once.

I can also check later and see how much of it is on The Beatles Anthology DVD. Looks like there's a track for it, but don't have the time right now. Later today, OK?  :)

I guess they played some of the songs on the roof multiple times....does this sound correct?

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 09, 2007, 05:22:37 AM
I guess they played some of the songs on the roof multiple times....does this sound correct?

I wouldn't be surprised, but unfortunately, I know little about that show. I don't think it was released apart from the Movie and whatever happens to be on the Anthology.   

Bogey

Quote from: George on June 09, 2007, 05:24:14 AM
I wouldn't be surprised, but unfortunately, I know little about that show. I don't think it was released apart from the Movie and whatever happens to be on the Anthology.   

The Beatles played five songs during the rooftop performance: "Get Back" (three times), "Don't Let Me Down" (twice), "I've Got a Feeling" (twice), "One After 909", and "Dig a Pony". (The Beatles also played a brief version of the British national anthem, "God Save the Queen" and a brief rehersal of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" while second engineer Alan Parsons was changing tapes.)[3]

After the final song, McCartney is heard to say, "Thanks, Mo!" acknowledging the enthusiastic applause and cheering from Maureen Starkey. Then Lennon closes with the well-known remark, "I'd like to say 'thank you' on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition!"[3] This exchange was spliced on to the end of the Let It Be album.

Bogey

There is this for track listings:

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 09, 2007, 05:25:44 AM
The Beatles played five songs during the rooftop performance: "Get Back" (three times), "Don't Let Me Down" (twice), "I've Got a Feeling" (twice), "One After 909", and "Dig a Pony". (The Beatles also played a brief version of the British national anthem, "God Save the Queen" and a brief rehersal of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" while second engineer Alan Parsons was changing tapes.)[3]

After the final song, McCartney is heard to say, "Thanks, Mo!" acknowledging the enthusiastic applause and cheering from Maureen Starkey. Then Lennon closes with the well-known remark, "I'd like to say 'thank you' on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition!"[3] This exchange was spliced on to the end of the Let It Be album.

Yeah, I thought that last line was classic!  8)

I really dunno where you'll find the complete tapes for that. Even the movie (OOP?) surely didn't have multiple takes of each song.  :)

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 09, 2007, 05:56:57 AM
There is this for track listings:

hey, you've been holding out, Bill!  ;D

I may be able to find that in NYC, or do you already have it?

Bogey

Quote from: George on June 09, 2007, 05:59:40 AM
hey, you've been holding out, Bill!  ;D

I may be able to find that in NYC, or do you already have it?

Never have seen it....must be a bootleg, no?

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 09, 2007, 06:00:28 AM
Never have seen it....must be a bootleg, no?

Indeed. There are bootlegs aplenty in NYC though.  :D

Bogey

Quote from: George on June 09, 2007, 06:01:30 AM

Maybe down the Abbey road Paul will get behind an official release that this concert deserves with the proper packaging etc.  One can only hope. :)

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 09, 2007, 06:08:59 AM
Maybe down the Abbey road Paul will get behind an official release that this concert deserves with the proper packaging etc.  One can only hope. :)

I can ask around the village and see if there is a bootleg that comes form the master tapes.

If so, then I'll see if there's any copies floating around.

Sounds like the beginnings of a Magical Mystery Tour...roll up!!!!  $:)

Szykneij

Quote from: George on June 09, 2007, 06:01:30 AM

Yup, my 13-year old son got himself a nice Rolex for $25 when we visited last summer  ;)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige