The Beatles Backyard

Started by George, May 01, 2007, 06:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your 3 favorite Beatles Albums?

Please Please Me
With the Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
Yellow Submarine
The Beatles (White Album)
Let It Be
Abbey Road
Past Masters, Vol 1
Past Masters, Vol 2

Szykneij

I think this album is underrated. It was the first Beatles album I bought as a kid

although these two were given to me by a cool aunt:

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Poetdante

I chose:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The White Album
Abbey Road

I always feel happy when I listen "Sgt. Pepper's~", especially track 1~3.

Plus,  :)
My favorite single is "Strawberry Fields Forever." WOW!
Chopin, forever.

jwinter

Quote from: Bogey on June 09, 2007, 06:00:28 AM
Never have seen it....must be a bootleg, no?

It's certainly a bootleg.  I have it, though on a different bootleg.  You can shoot me a PM if you're desperate -- I could send you an MP3 or something...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

George

I heard that the Let it Be movie should be re-released on DVD in the near future.  :D

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dr. Dread

Hey maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan,

Take your copy of Rubber Soul, hold it upside down in the mirror.

It says, "Road Abbey".

(sorta)   8)   ;D   :o

Bogey

Just picked this up today.  I believe this completes my Beatles UK cd run, unless there is a cd release of the Hollywood Bowl concert out there?  

Is there a ready checklist available to cross my run with?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Marc

Just selected my favs:
Rubber Soul, Revolver and The Beatles (AKA White Album).
But all the others are outstanding, too!

vandermolen

1 White Album

2 Sergeant Pepper

3 Magical Mystery Tour
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Bogey

Heading to this show tonight:

http://1964site.com/#/home/

Will report back.

vandermolen

'It was fifty years ago today!'
Well, yesterday actually since the iconic photo of The Beatles on the Abbey Road crossing was taken.
Many people recreated the scene on the crossing yesterday which is preserved as a piece of national heritage.
I have a happy memory of coming home from school, when the Abbey Road album came out in 1969, to find that my mother had bought it for me and had put it on my bed, even though it wasn't my birthday or Christmas:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on August 09, 2019, 09:50:26 AM
Well, yesterday actually since the iconic photo of The Beatles on the Abbey Road crossing was taken.
Many people recreated the scene on the crossing yesterday which is preserved as a piece of national heritage.
I have a happy memory of coming home from school, when the Abbey Road album came out in 1969, to find that my mother had bought it for me a had put it on my bed, even though it wasn't my birthday or Christmas:

One sweet dream!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 09, 2019, 07:19:52 PM
One sweet dream!

Indeed Karl. Funny how that memory has always stayed with me. I think that Abbey Road is one of their best albums.

SimonNZ

Of the three listed: 1.White Album 2.Sgt Pepper 3.Hard Day's Night

not listed is the immediate post-breakup singles and b-sides round up Hey Jude album which I think of as being as canonical as the others, and the songs play really nicely in that track order

Marc

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 10, 2019, 01:44:03 AM
Of the three listed: 1.White Album 2.Sgt Pepper 3.Hard Day's Night

not listed is the immediate post-breakup singles and b-sides round up Hey Jude album which I think of as being as canonical as the others, and the songs play really nicely in that track order

These songs can be found mostly on the two Past Master albums.

Albums like 'Introducing The Beatles', 'Meet The Beatles' 'Second Album', 'Something New', 'Beatles VI', 'Yesterday And Today' and 'Hey Jude', to name but a few, were made for the USA market, by VeeJay and Capitol.
It's confusing with those split markets, because, for instance, the USA albums 'Help!' and 'Rubber Soul' don't have the same songs as the UK versions.

Nowadays the UK (Parlophone) titles, plus the Past Masters volumes, are regularly used as being the 'genuine' Beatles albums.

And there's a shitload of extras of course, from the Anthology trilogy to all kinds of bootlegs.

Marc

Quote from: vandermolen on August 09, 2019, 09:50:26 AM
I have a happy memory of coming home from school, when the Abbey Road album came out in 1969, to find that my mother had bought it for me and had put it on my bed, even though it wasn't my birthday or Christmas:

That's a great story. Love your mum. :)

Thanks to the update to the thread I'm listening to the Fab Four this evening... yet NOT the celebrated Abbey Road, but Beatles For Sale. One of their weakest IMHO (too many less-inspired cover songs), but weakest Beatles is still 8/10.
'I'm A Loser', 'Baby's In Black', 'Every Little Thing' and 'I Don't Want To Spoil The Party' are examples of great songs that I can listen to again and again.

vandermolen

Quote from: Marc on August 11, 2019, 11:48:20 AM
That's a great story. Love your mum. :)

Thanks to the update to the thread I'm listening to the Fab Four this evening... yet NOT the celebrated Abbey Road, but Beatles For Sale. One of their weakest IMHO (too many less-inspired cover songs), but weakest Beatles is still 8/10.
'I'm A Loser', 'Baby's In Black', 'Every Little Thing' and 'I Don't Want To Spoil The Party' are examples of great songs that I can listen to again and again.

Thank you! That was very sweet of my mum and the fact that I still remember it fifty years later shows how much it meant to me. I can still remember the joy of seeing the LP, unexpectedly, on my bed! Yes, this thread was dormant since 2012. We are still waiting for Bogey to report back on the 1964 Tribute Concert.  8)

I always liked 'Beatles for Sale'. I think I lent the LP to someone many decades ago and never got it back.

jwinter

Today I've been revisiting the White Album 50th Remixes... while I really enjoyed the Sgt. Pepper remixes from a couple years ago, I'm still undecided on the White Album.  There are some tracks where the improvement is clear and obvious, such as "Long, Long, Long," which sounds absolutely amazing on this, so much clearer and more focused.  And yet in other places the new mix seems to bring out details just for the sake bringing them out.  Drums and bass are more prominent pretty much throughout, which greatly benefits the rockers.

George Martin once famously said that the existing double album was too unfocused, and would have been much improved if they'd pared it down to a single album.  In theory I kind of agree with him; but like many other Beatle-nerds I keep trying to come up with a 14 track, 7 tracks per side version that truly satisfies.  I've had a playlist on my phone for years, and every time I put it on I end up moving things around, and adding or removing a song or two.

My current list (which may change by supper time):

Side 1:

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence (the opening 1-2 punch is so good, I can't mess with it)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Mother Nature's Son
Cry Baby Cry
Blackbird
I'm So Tired

Side 2

Birthday
Don't Pass Me By (gotta have a Ringo song)
Revolution 1
Long, Long, Long
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Helter Skelter
Julia

I'm still not happy with it, though, not least because there are a couple of key songs missing (looking at you, Glass Onion).  Maybe I need to cheat and do 8 songs per side for a total of 16 -- which would have still fit comfortably on an LP, I think....  or I could pull in the Revolution/Hey Jude single.... sigh.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

vandermolen

Quote from: jwinter on August 29, 2019, 11:45:49 AM
Today I've been revisiting the White Album 50th Remixes... while I really enjoyed the Sgt. Pepper remixes from a couple years ago, I'm still undecided on the White Album.  There are some tracks where the improvement is clear and obvious, such as "Long, Long, Long," which sounds absolutely amazing on this, so much clearer and more focused.  And yet in other places the new mix seems to bring out details just for the sake bringing them out.  Drums and bass are more prominent pretty much throughout, which greatly benefits the rockers.

George Martin once famously said that the existing double album was too unfocused, and would have been much improved if they'd pared it down to a single album.  In theory I kind of agree with him; but like many other Beatle-nerds I keep trying to come up with a 14 track, 7 tracks per side version that truly satisfies.  I've had a playlist on my phone for years, and every time I put it on I end up moving things around, and adding or removing a song or two.

My current list (which may change by supper time):

Side 1:

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence (the opening 1-2 punch is so good, I can't mess with it)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Mother Nature's Son
Cry Baby Cry
Blackbird
I'm So Tired

Side 2

Birthday
Don't Pass Me By (gotta have a Ringo song)
Revolution 1
Long, Long, Long
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Helter Skelter
Julia

I'm still not happy with it, though, not least because there are a couple of key songs missing (looking at you, Glass Onion).  Maybe I need to cheat and do 8 songs per side for a total of 16 -- which would have still fit comfortably on an LP, I think....  or I could pull in the Revolution/Hey Jude single.... sigh.
It's still a great playlist although I like 'Glass Onion' and Revolution No.9.