Hindemith's Harmonie

Started by Greta, March 21, 2008, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

The Clarinet Quintet happens to be my favorite Hindemith work, and it was my introduction to the composer about twenty years ago, at a LA Phil chamber music concert at the Museum of Judaism where half of the people either left or booed the work (!) because they the bluehaired patrons considered it too modern! I loved it and bought a recording on the spot.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

snyprrr

Also, I have a great little little cd (forget the label-EVERYTHING'S been in storage for 6 months now) of the String Trios 1-2, which also includes an ok performance of the great solo cello sonata, and pieces for cello and bassoon! They are culled from 1970s recordings, a la Musical Heritage Society.

The string trios are substantial, one in his 20s style, the other on the cusp of Mathis (though it doesn't wallow so obviously in fourths...yet).

There aren't too many recordings of these works (CPO only offers the two trios), so this disc is a bargain if you can get it.

springrite

I should add that my favorite works after the quintet are the viola sonatas and the Symphony in Eb. The work I have listened to the most times has to be the viola sonatas.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

karlhenning

Quote from: snyprrr on June 01, 2009, 09:25:38 AM
One of my really really favorite works, period, is the Hindemith piece for piano, 2 harps, and brass...what is it called?..."something-musik" Op.39???

Phillip Jones did it on LP. The only recording I know is the Nimbus disc w/Janacek and Vackar. The Nimbus recording is a touch cavernous (a consistant problem with these folks), and the harps don't make the greatest impact. I seem to recall the PJBE recording (Decca?) was spot on.

Konzertmusik, Opus 49 . . . one of my own very favorites, too!

I have two recordings, both of which I like very well:  one is the composer's own with members of the Berliner Philharmoniker;  the other, part of the voluminous Hindemith offerings on cpo.

karlhenning

Quote from: springrite on June 01, 2009, 09:36:04 AM
. . . The work I have listened to the most times has to be the viola sonatas.

Mmm . . . these have (most unjustly, no doubt, as the composer was himself a formidable violist) been completely off my radar ere now. I thank you, Paul!

snyprrr

I must admit that the 4 Solo Viola Sonatas are my least fav Hindemith. Part of this may be due to the claustrophobic recording on Helicon. I don't think the Julliard's viola player (name?) is to blame. I think these pieces are just Hindemith jamming out like a rock star, meaning, they don't really go for beauty, but are technically totally impressive. I mean, they DO go for broke, certainly meant to make violists scream! I just don't get any listening "pleasure" from them.

The 3 Viola Sonatas w/piano I like much better. Both the last violin, and last viola sonata are pretty majesterial?, though neither stays within my melodic comfort zone (which is not a put down; it's just that they are meaty and substantial). Probably my most fav violin sonata of all time, strictly for pleasure, is the E major violin sonata (@only 8min).

eyeresist

I have the above-mentioned recording of the octet, and it's terrific, but also a reminder that H generally did not make it easy for musicians to win the sympathy of listeners.

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 01, 2009, 03:37:39 AM
-and the one act Opera "The Long Christmas Dinner"-which I know nothing about.

AKA Das Lange Weihnachtsmahl. The very first recording of this was actually Japanese! Good for them.

Catison

I just did some research, and it appears that Hindemith was a general and eventually leader of Germany.  I didn't know this.

See: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Paul_Hindemith
-Brett

Catison

I am listening to the 1963 Mass, and it is quite good.  I still have yet to hear the Pittsburgh Symphony, which will immediately be corrected following the Agnus Dei.
-Brett

karlhenning

Quote from: Catison on June 08, 2009, 03:51:12 AM
I am listening to the 1963 Mass, and it is quite good.

Cor, but this has been entirely off my Hindemith radar . . . .

Catison

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 08, 2009, 04:01:13 AM
Cor, but this has been entirely off my Hindemith radar . . . .

Oh you'd enjoy it, Karl, I know it.
-Brett

snyprrr

I miss Hindemith today: the sound of things irretrieveably lost.

Nick

By way of mention, The Four Temperaments is the greatest piece of dance choreography I've ever seen. I don't think the other very famous Balanchine ballets, Serenade, Agon, Square Dance, Jewels, Concerto Barocco, compare in quite the same way. And a great score!

Franco

Thought I'd bump this thread since I have spent most of today listening to the string quartets.

What good works!

The set I've got is by the Danish SQ, and not having heard any others there is no way for me to give voice to how they measure up other than to say that they are conveying the music in a very effective manner, one which has had me oftentimes transfixed.

After this run through, I have found the 4th and 6th the most immediately compelling, with 2, 3 & 7 less so, but still very very good music.  I have yet to hear #5 and am just about half way through #1, the Adagio of which contained some of the most beautiful music I've heard from Hindemith's pen.

Paul Hindemith has been a composer I've been interested in, and listening today to the quartets has only brought that interest to the foreground, and something I will follow up on with some purchases of more of his single instrument sonatas (I only have a few of these, and he wrote so many) and other chamber works.

Hindemith - yes, a very good composer.

karlhenning

Yes, I saw you were listening to the quartets; my curiosity is piqued.

Franco

I just finished hearing #5 and found it along with 4 & 6 first rate (ha) - so, for me 4, 5 & 6 are the core works with the others coming in behind them, in no particular order.

My next endeavor will be to get as many of the 18 Milhaud quartets as I can find.  There is a complete box listed as OOP (and no 3rd party sellers) on Amazon - but I  have not done an exhaustive search, so that may still pop up somewhere.

The new erato

I'm a longtime fan of Hindemith's quartets, and here's another nimportant cycle in another somewhat similar style you will enjoy:

prestoclassical.co.uk seem to have all the discs in the series, there are 5 discs and 12 quartets in all.

karlhenning

Weird to think that I haven't particularly listened to Hindemith's piano solo music.  Must correct that.

karlhenning

And a month later . . .

I've now heard (though I can stand to live with the several recordings a good deal more) Ludus tonalis played by (in order of my hearing) Bernard Roberts, John McCabe & Olli Mustonen.  Each of the three recordings has its own character, and I think I like each; probably prefer John McCabe by something of a margin.

Franco

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 13, 2010, 10:57:21 AM
And a month later . . .

I've now heard (though I can stand to live with the several recordings a good deal more) Ludus tonalis played by (in order of my hearing) Bernard Roberts, John McCabe & Olli Mustonen.  Each of the three recordings has its own character, and I think I like each; probably prefer John McCabe by something of a margin.

I haven't heard the other two fellows, but the John McCabe recording is one I enjoy quite a bit.