Hindemith's Harmonie

Started by Greta, March 21, 2008, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Oh my goodness, these are good!

Talking about Hindemith's 3rd and particularly the 5th string quartet.

Recording:  Julliard String Quartet on Wergo label.  Sorry, couldn't find a picture.

The new erato

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 08, 2010, 06:54:02 PM
Oh my goodness, these are good!

Talking about Hindemith's 3rd and particularly the 5th string quartet.

Recording:  Julliard String Quartet on Wergo label.  Sorry, couldn't find a picture.
One of the main contenders for 3rd best quartet cycle of the previous century (after Bartok and Shostakovich) IMO.

The new erato

The Hurwitzer (or should it be Hurwinator?) likes Hindemith! Who would have thunk?

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=13133

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on March 22, 2008, 11:30:46 AM
the kammermusik set is fun...

For me, Hindemith doesnt really have a strong identity, he would often straddle and i find him much less appealing than other (greater) 20th century composers (i.e. Bartok, Stravinsky or Webern)...some of his stuff is fun but despite some worthwhile moments, I can pretty much take or leave all of what ive heard...

Besides the Kammermusik, I would be curious to know what you've actually heard by Hindemith? And when you list what you've heard, I would also like to know who the conductor and orchestra were that performed the work.

karlhenning

Quote from: erato on January 05, 2011, 09:11:59 AM
The Hurwitzer (or should it be Hurwinator?) likes Hindemith! Who would have thunk?

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=13133

That's a nice program, and parallels a cpo disc I have with Brett Dean, the Queensland Symphony & Werner Andreas Albert. All lovely music!

CRCulver

Quote from: erato on January 05, 2011, 09:11:59 AM

And it's a 10/10 review, how unexpected.   ::)

snyprrr

Quote from: CRCulver on January 05, 2011, 10:49:14 AM
And it's a 10/10 review, how unexpected.   ::)

Still hungover from NYE? ::) (him,..not you! :o)

snyprrr

I'll take this opportunity to lift up the Oktett, because, at least on this treasured Teldec/Berliner Soloisten disc, I find it a Masterpiece of 1950's Neo-Classicism, or, Ultra-Late Neo-Classicism. It's strident, a bit unflattering and maybe even farty,... stentorian perhaps, but this performance reveals a somewhat Beethovenian piece, IMO, serious and with shellshocked humor.

karlhenning

snyprrr

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 05, 2011, 11:27:50 AM
No, the Octet strident?

You likey? No?

I'd say it has that Schoenbergian grumpiness, y'know?, just the demeanor?

snyprrr

Listening to the Violin Concerto with Stern/Bernstein. This piece has such integrity, such nobility and poise and pacifism. I smell the alps. And the quartal harmonies are so interesting in their slight pungent difference from 'normal' harmony. Stern impressed me, navigating in all those close quarters.

Guido

Try the even more wonderful cello concerto from the following year...

Agreed that the violin concerto is excellent. Hindemith needs rebranding.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Archaic Torso of Apollo

While I generally like Hindemith, I haven't been able to get into either of those concertos. I do like what Walton did with the Cello Cto. theme in his Hindemith Variations, though.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

eyeresist

Quote from: snyprrr on January 05, 2011, 11:34:54 AM
I'd say it has that Schoenbergian grumpiness, y'know?, just the demeanor?
For me, Hindemith is like Brahms in that, even when he gets very Serious, there's still a gruff smile under that spikey, forbidding beard. Not that Hindemith had a beard, but you know what I mean.

I still haven't gotten into the cello concerto, but then H rarely comes alive for me without the "right" interpretation.

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on January 05, 2011, 11:20:38 AM
I'll take this opportunity to lift up the Oktett, because, at least on this treasured Teldec/Berliner Soloisten disc, I find it a Masterpiece of 1950's Neo-Classicism, or, Ultra-Late Neo-Classicism. It's strident, a bit unflattering and maybe even farty,... stentorian perhaps, but this performance reveals a somewhat Beethovenian piece, IMO, serious and with shellshocked humor.

Again took the Teldec Oktett with me today. I really like this music, really really. I like the way he breaks up the instrumentation, I like the themes, I really like the performance and recording...

Also listened to SQ No.5 (or 6,... the first Eb, the more 'famous' one). This one has also a nice smoothness, very much the Mercedes of SQs in its sleek lines and purring... you know, that German engineering thing in music! ;)

One of my favs is that Delos disc of The Four Temperaments and Noblisse Visione(sic).

eyeresist

I much prefer Der Schwanendreher (The Swan-Turner) to the Violin Concerto. Much more tuneful and lyrical. I like the Benyamini/Barenboim recording (reissued with Steinberg's Mathis symphony and Konzertmusik Op.50 on Australian Eloquence). Zimmermann/Shallon on EMI lack the necessary warmth IMO.

DavidW

What are your favorite recordings of Hindemith's string quartets? :)

Lethevich

I can vouch for the quality of the CPO cycle, but a single disc I really enjoy is this one:

[asin]B000NJKYL8[/asin]

They really play the music as though the performers feel it is "great" and can stand alongside such a companion composer. I don't entirely agree about that for the cycle as a whole, but perhaps this disc proves me wrong :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

snyprrr

Quote from: haydnfan on April 26, 2011, 01:42:16 PM
What are your favorite recordings of Hindemith's string quartets? :)

I have the Praga set. I like the last two SQs (in Eb) a lot, and the very last one does certainly qualify for Consideration, as does the other, more 'famous' one. I also have the 'famous' Eb on the VoxBox set,... I would consider both recordings 'homey' in their own way.

I consider the first four SQs (without the very very first one) to be pretty, uhm,... busy. I guess I prefer Bartok here.

snyprrr

Concert Music for Piano, Brass, and Harps Op.49

This is one of my favorite Hindemith pieces. I heard it first on the Philip Jones Decca (?) LP, and found the Nimbus/Wallace Collection recording a satisfactory substitute. The piece is an odd Piano Concerto, in essence, with a very plagent(sic) and funereal pace that I find delicious. The piano is foiled by 2 harps, and the whole ensemble never plays together, hence the very cold and marble like demeanor. I think this piece makes a great impression, and would be perfect for a foggy sunrise on Lake Como!

Concert Music for Brass Op.41

This is another rare piece I've come to know through the Hunsberger/CBS recording. This piece probably has more in common with the third Concert Music, the 'famous' one, being more extrovert than the previously discussed piece. Along with the Morning Music, I'm beginning to have a real affinity for Hindemith's brass writing.