Hindemith's Harmonie

Started by Greta, March 21, 2008, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Has anyone heard the Berlin Classics with Kegel conducting? I was just curious about the quality of these performances. Thanks in advance.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 14, 2011, 08:53:14 PM
Has anyone heard the Berlin Classics with Kegel conducting? I was just curious about the quality of these performances. Thanks in advance.

He's been mentioned favorably in the 'Mathis' Thread in 'Recordings'.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on August 15, 2011, 04:55:13 AM
He's been mentioned favorably in the 'Mathis' Thread in 'Recordings'.

Cool, I'll check that out, snyprr.

Christo

A personal favourite ever since I first heard it on one of the very first LPs I was able to buy, back in 1976, has been the Fünf Stücke für Streichorchester / Five Pieces for String Orchestra Op. 44, from 1927.

There appears to be no modern recording available on CD format. Why is it that unknown?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

not edward

Quote from: Christo on August 15, 2011, 12:28:58 PM
A personal favourite ever since I first heard it on one of the very first LPs I was able to buy, back in 1976, has been the Fünf Stücke für Streichorchester / Five Pieces for String Orchestra Op. 44, from 1927.

There appears to be no modern recording available on CD format. Why is it that unknown?
It is indeed an excellent and highly enjoyable work. It's available on a single cpo CD

[asin]B000001RZ3[/asin]

and the box set containing this CD

[asin]B000058TDA[/asin]

Also, the ASMF/Marriner recording has recently been reissued as part of a Marriner/20th Century boxset

[asin]B004I7MCGQ[/asin]

and also as a single disc as part of an Australian Eloquence reissue:

[asin]B000SO7J20[/asin]
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

eyeresist

The Eloquence disc is excellent, except that the movements of the transcribed Fugitive Visions are not tracked individually.

Mirror Image

Bought the Blomstedt Hindemith recordings tonight:

[asin]B0000041UH[/asin]
[asin]B00004T762[/asin]

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 15, 2011, 07:36:35 PM
Bought the Blomstedt Hindemith recordings tonight:

[asin]B0000041UH[/asin]
[asin]B00004T762[/asin]

I wasn't earlier aware that the 'Harmonie' cd was with the Gewandhaus and not SanFran. Let me know if one can tell the dif. I only have the Gewandhaus,... I'm feeling reticent about the other two, though I love'em in the Roger Sessions/John Harbison.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on August 15, 2011, 07:48:54 PM
I wasn't earlier aware that the 'Harmonie' cd was with the Gewandhaus and not SanFran. Let me know if one can tell the dif. I only have the Gewandhaus,... I'm feeling reticent about the other two, though I love'em in the Roger Sessions/John Harbison.

My understanding is that these are legendary performances. Blomstedt was master in Hindemith.

karlhenning

Quote from: jhns on September 28, 2011, 12:48:10 AM
. . . He wrote Trauermusik in a matter of hours. Only Mozart could do that.

Not really. There's a great story of Shostakovich writing his Festive Overture, for only one instance . . . .

snyprrr

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 28, 2011, 04:26:33 AM
Not really. There's a great story of Shostakovich writing his Festive Overture, for only one instance . . . .

Are you like DSCH and HVL, who could write in front of a construction site, or, are you like me, who cannot write unless Pharaoh-like conditions of peace and inspiration prevail?

karlhenning

Not sure I could compose in front of a construction site. I've certainly composed while riding in a bus past a working construction site, though . . . .

eyeresist

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 28, 2011, 06:15:00 AM
Not sure I could compose in front of a construction site. I've certainly composed while riding in a bus past a working construction site, though . . . .

"Turn around, driver, we're going again."

snyprrr

eyeresist

March of the Coldstream Guards plays across a panorama of Picadilly Square. Black cab rams into red double decker bus and bursts into flames. The end.

snyprrr

Quote from: eyeresist on September 28, 2011, 06:42:22 PM
March of the Coldstream Guards plays across a panorama of Picadilly Square. Black cab rams into red double decker bus and bursts into flames. The end.

...actually ;D,... that was a quote from European Vacation. Remember, haha? ;)

eyeresist

Not a film I'm greatly familiar with, though I do recall the sausage joke. I assumed the line was something from the Simpsons.

snyprrr

Quote from: eyeresist on September 28, 2011, 08:15:31 PM
Not a film I'm greatly familiar with, though I do recall the sausage joke. I assumed the line was something from the Simpsons.

Rusty...WHAAAAAAT?? :o?? :o?? :o

(great crashing sound... glass... thud)

Christo

Quote from: edward on August 15, 2011, 03:26:42 PM
It is indeed an excellent and highly enjoyable work. It's available on a single cpo CD
[asin]B000001RZ3[/asin]
and the box set containing this CD
[asin]B000058TDA[/asin]
Also, the ASMF/Marriner recording has recently been reissued as part of a Marriner/20th Century boxset
[asin]B004I7MCGQ[/asin]
and also as a single disc as part of an Australian Eloquence reissue:
[asin]B000SO7J20[/asin]

I stand completely corrected.  :-X 8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

snyprrr

Symphonic Dances

I have just been turned onto these by the wonderful Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt EMI retrospective. HS-I apparently didn't like parts of these, and tossed a movement, and rearranged the remainder. What I hear is as much a Symphony as Nobilissima Visione is. The slow movement is beautifully plagent(?), and all three movements exhibit Hindemith the orchestrator at his lushest. Surely the title is deceptive, these are not to be overlooked!