Listen to the WHOLE thing.

[ASIN]B0000U1NHE[/ASIN] [ASIN]B000000B0X[/ASIN]

snyprrr

Quote from: eyeresist on December 14, 2011, 08:28:53 PM
Listen to the WHOLE thing.

[ASIN]B0000U1NHE[/ASIN] [ASIN]B000000B0X[/ASIN]

:-[ ;D :-[ ;D :-[ ;D

Karl Henning

The Hindemith Conducts Hindemith is obligatory!!!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

CRCulver

Can someone recommend books on Hindemith? I know a few biographies, but I'm really looking for analysis of the music.

Karl Henning

Hm, I should be interested in an answer to that, myself.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

I did a 44-pg 400-level college paper on music under the Third Reich, and of course Paul H figured highly.  One of my main sources was:

Author   Skelton, Geoffrey.
Title   Paul Hindemith : the man behind the music : a biography / by Geoffrey Skelton.
Publication Info.    London : Gollancz, 1975.
Description    319 p., [8] p. of plates : ill., facsims., music, ports. ; 23 cm.
Bibliography    Bibliography: p. [297]-298.
"Chronological list of works": p. [299]-308.
Note    "Gramophone recordings by Paul Hindemith": p. 308-310.
Includes index.
Subject   Hindemith, Paul, 1895-1963.
ISBN    0575019883

Both the "biography" and musicology content are very good.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Karl Henning

I have the Skelton, have had practically from the first I knew of Hindemith! Should really revisit the book.

And now, finally digging into the string quartets!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Scion7

Although we can say many composers should have lived longer,
one of these that stands out to me is Paul H.  With more time I
think he would have/been commissioned to compose more of those
delightful chamber works for diverse instruments.  He just didn't
get a chance to go thru the many combos that he didn't write for.

Dang it.

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on May 01, 2012, 07:46:40 AM
I have the Skelton, have had practically from the first I knew of Hindemith! Should really revisit the book.

And now, finally digging into the string quartets!

What do you think? I love the last two, but seriously have issues with the first four (not counting No.'0', found later). 1-2 form a pair, as do 3-4. I find all of them very busy and dark, like unattractive '70s Metal, especially 3-4, though, I think I need to listen to them more in a Bartok manner perhaps. I need some pointers here.

Cato

Quote from: CRCulver on February 06, 2012, 04:09:10 PM
Can someone recommend books on Hindemith? I know a few biographies, but I'm really looking for analysis of the music.

Try this book by Guy Rickard:

[asin]0714831743[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on May 01, 2012, 08:41:11 AM
What do you think? I love the last two, but seriously have issues with the first four (not counting No.'0', found later). 1-2 form a pair, as do 3-4. I find all of them very busy and dark, like unattractive '70s Metal, especially 3-4, though, I think I need to listen to them more in a Bartok manner perhaps. I need some pointers here.

Just revisited the Op16 Quartet in C (№ 3, N.S.)

Myself, it is a pitch-world which I find immediately likeable, and I have only admiration for the style, composition, manner.  Truth is, I don't know that I've heard any chamber music of Hindemith's to which I have not taken a fancy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on May 01, 2012, 08:53:51 AM
Try this book by Guy Rickard:

[asin]0714831743[/asin]

Looks nice! I've read books from that series on Debussy, Stravinsky, Sibelius, Bartók, & Prokofiev.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

pjme

I bought that Phaidon book only a couple of days ago. The FNAC shops in Belgium had them almost all at a discount price : 4,5 €.!
Don't forget the great Hindemith website at http://www.paul-hindemith.org/

and discover Paul's brother Rudolf! http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Hindemith

Peter

Scion7

Well, of course, Hindemith's string quartets have nothing to do with 'heavy metal' or any other rock music.

I like all of them.  The later ones are the best.

Cato

Quote from: pjme on May 01, 2012, 12:18:25 PM
I bought that Phaidon book only a couple of days ago. The FNAC shops in Belgium had them almost all at a discount price : 4,5 €.!

Synchronicity!

Be sure to tell us what you think: the 3 H''s might not replace the 3 B's in people's minds, but...   8)

Scion7

Handel, Haydn, and Hindemith?   ???

Cato

Quote from: Scion7 on May 01, 2012, 03:27:08 PM
Handel, Haydn, and Hindemith?   ???

Handel, Haydn, and Hummel?

not edward

I remember being somewhat underwhelmed by Rickards' Three Hs book when I read it--whether that was me or the book I don't know (as I like all three composers it should've been grist to my mill).

Agree with those who note that pretty much every Hindemith they've heard has been worthwhile; I think sometimes (as with a figure like Martinu) his sheer compositional fluency sometimes gets in the way of realizing how damn good some of the music is.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Elnimio

Quote from: Scion7 on May 01, 2012, 12:34:41 PM
Well, of course, Hindemith's string quartets have nothing to do with 'heavy metal' or any other rock music.

I like all of them.  The later ones are the best.

Can you really say that, though? They have similar, energetic and cacophonic attitudes, which fans of heavy metal and similar genres could find appealing.