Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Cardillac, what a blast!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The new erato

This is such a lovely production:

[asin]B000OT8L1C[/asin]

Karl Henning

Nice! Thanks for the heads-up.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Wow, the last post in this thread was in May 2012. Time to revive it! :)

Has anyone heard this opera?

I bought this quite some time ago and I remember hearing some excerpts thinking to myself "I need to buy this recording NOW!" But other composers' music can calling and I put this opera aside. Also, is Kubelik's Mathis der Maler on EMI worth picking up?

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2013, 08:42:29 AM
Wow, the last post in this thread was in May 2012. Time to revive it! :)

Has anyone heard this opera?

I bought this quite some time ago and I remember hearing some excerpts thinking to myself "I need to buy this recording NOW!" But other composers' music can calling and I put this opera aside. Also, is Kubelik's Mathis der Maler on EMI worth picking up?

I only know the symphony based on the opera: for the latter, yes, I believe I can recommend it, although it is not in the same league as his early masterpiece Cardillac.

Still, anything with Kubelik at the helm and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (whose performance in Cardillac you should find!) is always worth your time!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on February 12, 2013, 08:55:55 AM
I only know the symphony based on the opera: for the latter, yes, I believe I can recommend it, although it is not in the same league as his early masterpiece Cardillac.

Still, anything with Kubelik at the helm and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (whose performance in Cardillac you should find!) is always worth your time!

Thanks, Cato. Do you know Die Harmonie der Welt? In particular, the recording I have pictured?

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2013, 08:59:51 AM
Thanks, Cato. Do you know Die Harmonie der Welt? In particular, the recording I have pictured?

Not the opera, no: this is one of the gaps in my musical experience!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on February 12, 2013, 09:20:54 AM
Not the opera, no: this is one of the gaps in my musical experience!   0:)

Okay, thanks. By the way, do you have a large Hindemith collection? I was surprised to find that I have a larger collection of his music than I realized.

The new erato

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on February 12, 2013, 09:50:32 AM
I have it. It's fabulous.

Will definitely be giving it a spin. So would you say Janowski is up for the challenge?

The new erato

Yes. Travelling now...so short.

Mirror Image

To Hindemith fans, what is the one work written for orchestra you think is most underrated? I'm still in the process of exploring all of his works for orchestra.

Karl Henning

I need to check out the organ sonatas.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Speaking of the organ, I'm anxious and curious to hear Hindemith's organ concerti. Thank goodness for CPO and their smart moves of boxing up their Hindemith orchestral series.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on December 13, 2011, 12:14:57 PM
Symphonic Dances

I have just been turned onto these by the wonderful Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt EMI retrospective. HS-I apparently didn't like parts of these, and tossed a movement, and rearranged the remainder. What I hear is as much a Symphony as Nobilissima Visione is. The slow movement is beautifully plagent(?), and all three movements exhibit Hindemith the orchestrator at his lushest. Surely the title is deceptive, these are not to be overlooked!

Yes, the Symphonic Dances are fantastic! I visited the Albert performance tonight on CPO and this was a first-listen for me. I loved the work.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2013, 08:59:51 PM
Yes, the Symphonic Dances are fantastic! I visited the Albert performance tonight on CPO and this was a first-listen for me. I loved the work.

I pulled out some PH this week:

Pittsburgh Symphony: gruff, bluff, and rough. I like PH's craggy Late Works.

Organ Concerto: same,... dark and not so friendly. I like it!

Symphony 'Die Harmonie der Welt': I have that Blomstedt disc,... this one is harder for me, but I certainly like it. It's maybe not the absolutely most characteristic work, though, perhaps, for a certain creative period. That is one meaty cd, what with the Symphonia Serena also.

Maybe it's time to dip into the Kammermusik (Chailly)?

Or, rather, the Ludus Tonalis?

I have a great weakness for the Octet, specifically in the Teldec recording.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on March 30, 2013, 07:13:35 AM

Symphony 'Die Harmonie der Welt': I have that Blomstedt disc,... this one is harder for me, but I certainly like it. It's maybe not the absolutely most characteristic work, though, perhaps, for a certain creative period. That is one meaty cd, what with the Symphonia Serena also.

I LOVE all orchestral works I've heard by Hindemith so far. I have yet to listen to the Organ Concerto, but I imagine this being right up my alley based on your description. Pittsburgh Symphony is a nice work. I haven't heard it in years. I have two performances of it now, but the one I heard was Tortelier's on Chandos. His whole Hindemith series is worth hearing IMHO.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2013, 08:42:29 AM

\

I still haven't listened to this opera. :-\ But this will change on my next days off. I would like to give the Kammermusik works another fresh listen. I don't know whether to listen to Chailly's or Abbado's. I would also like to listen to works like The Four Temperaments, the concerti for violin, viola, cello, organ, horn etc., Concerto for Orchestra, and Der Dämon.

The new erato

This recording of Die Harmonie was one of my 10 "CDs of the year" (a list I used to compile) around 4-5 years ago. It's a wonderful set, and I've posted on it here in the listening thread once upon a time.

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on March 30, 2013, 07:13:35 AM

Is that the same as has been reissued on Apex (Berlin Soloists)?

Personally, I have found Ludus tonalis endlessly fascinating.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA