Hindemith's Harmonie

Started by Greta, March 21, 2008, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on March 31, 2013, 12:55:27 AM
This recording of Die Harmonie was one of my 10 "CDs of the year" (a list I used to compile) around 4-5 years ago. It's a wonderful set, and I've posted on it here in the listening thread once upon a time.

Thanks, erato. I'll definitely be giving it a spin pretty soon.

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on March 31, 2013, 04:09:55 AM
Is that the same as has been reissued on Apex (Berlin Soloists)?

Yes, the performance/recording match here is perfect. Must be best available? Sony/Marlboro not as refined. Stop.

Mirror Image

I'm really impressed with the Concerto for Orchestra and Sinfonietta in E have any of you heard these works? About to give the Pittsburgh Symphony another listen as it's been years.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 05, 2011, 09:52:15 AM

Besides the Kammermusik, I would be curious to know what you've actually heard by Hindemith? And when you list what you've heard, I would also like to know who the conductor and orchestra were that performed the work.

Still waiting on this reply from James. ::)

snyprrr

Let's add Hindemith to the roster. What do you think? These four Composers have a lot in common,... or, maybe not??

Karl Henning

What roster is that, snypsss?

Meanwhile, I like Hindemith a great deal. Heck, I even think well of the string quartets  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kyjo

Interesting-looking release due out soon from Naxos:

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573201-02

A more fitting release for this two-disc set would be "Complete Works for Piano and Orchestra" IMO. After all, Hindemith only composed one work entitled "Piano Concerto". ::)

Mirror Image

Love Hindemith, but won't be buying anymore recordings of his music until I make it through all of the orchestral sets on CPO, which I bought a few years ago.

snyprrr

Quote from: kyjo on September 02, 2013, 05:51:16 PM

A more fitting release for this two-disc set would be "Complete Works for Piano and Orchestra" IMO. After all, Hindemith only composed one work entitled "Piano Concerto". ::)

The first movement of the PC is one of my fav Hindemith moments, but, doesn't it eventually get a bit bombastic towards the end? The Albany recording has certainly needed some competition, haven't heard the CPO. But, the PC is worth hearing.

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on September 04, 2013, 06:20:53 AM

Quote from: kyjo on September 02, 2013, 05:51:16 PM

The first movement of the PC is one of my fav Hindemith moments, but, doesn't it eventually get a bit bombastic towards the end? The Albany recording has certainly needed some competition, haven't heard the CPO. But, the PC is worth hearing.

Oh, I'll snaffle that one up just for the sake of the Op.29 which he wrote for Paul Wittgenstein, a piece I've been curious to hear ever since I learnt of it.

Back to the Harmonie der Welt symphony, I love the contrabassoon lick in the last movement.  And yes, one of these days I'll listen to the entire opera . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

"...though Hindemith's spartan, mid-period harmonic palette still makes for difficult listening." - Tim Ashley, The Guardian, Review of Ludus Tonalis by Berezovsky. I don't know what this guy is talking about. This is fascinating music, enjoyable from beginning to end. I have the John McCabe rather than Berezovsky. Anyway, I discovered this thanks to the fine folks at GMG (Mr. Henning!). I wonder what it is that Mr. Ashley finds so difficult? 

Karl Henning

Mr Ashley puzzles me there, as well . . . I just find it absorbing to listen to.

McCabe is probably my favorite (and I owe that tip to Luke Ottevanger here at GMG);  I also have Olli Mustonen (that contriversial Finn), and Bernard Roberts.

One of these days, I shall apply myself to comparing the two versions of Das Marienleben . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

CRCulver

Quote from: milk on November 25, 2013, 04:12:26 AM
"...though Hindemith's spartan, mid-period harmonic palette still makes for difficult listening." - Tim Ashley, The Guardian, Review of Ludus Tonalis by Berezovsky. I don't know what this guy is talking about.

Reminds me of an anti-modernism screed I read sometime back that lumped Hindemith in with Boulez and Stockhausen, all of them writing intolerable noise that audiences don't want to hear. Made me wonder briefly if I have something wrong with my ears, because of 20th-century repertoire, nothing strikes me as more unobjectionable for a subscriber audience than Neoclassical composers.

snyprrr

GMG Hindemith Festival 2014

Welcome!

We have quite a programme planned for the week's festivities, please, take a brochure and get yourselves comfortable. This afternoon's concert will be open air, weather permitting, and will present a selection of Hindemith's Chamber Music for Winds, with a wonderful performance by the Berliner Soloisten of the wonderfully craggy 'Octet' as the centrepiece.

Clarinet Quartet (or Kliene Kammermusik)
Clarinet Sonata
Duo for cello and bassoon

Harp Sonata

Tuba Sonata
Sonata for Four Horns

Octet

Then, this evening, we have a great lineup, including the 'Concert Music for Piano, Brass, and Harps, Op.49', the Bb Symphony for Band (played first), and finishing with the big Eb Symphony. Surely you will want to get there early for the maestro's lecture.

Tomorrow morning's concert will kick off with the 'Morgenmusik' for brass, and then present more of Hindemith's wonderful Wind Music.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on May 15, 2014, 07:59:48 AM
the wonderfully craggy 'Octet'

I just sampled this, and I'm impressed by it. Seems to be pretty obscure - not many recordings. Any you wish to rec? I found an old LP which has it, plus Hindy's solo viola sonata.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

7/4

I love his solo piano music.

snyprrr

Quote from: Velimir on May 15, 2014, 08:14:33 AM
I just sampled this, and I'm impressed by it. Seems to be pretty obscure - not many recordings. Any you wish to rec? I found an old LP which has it, plus Hindy's solo viola sonata.

I'm sold on the Berliners on Teldec. Great performance and sound.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on May 15, 2014, 12:52:59 PM
I'm sold on the Berliners on Teldec. Great performance and sound.

Snip, to my utter amazement, someone is selling the Marlboro recording for over $1000. With a price like that, it's gotta be good, eh?:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00FZ0QGQC/ref=sr_1_10_np_1_main_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1400170037&sr=1-10&condition=new

The vinyl I found is Fine Arts 4tet + NY Wind Ensemble. Very obscure, apparently never CD'ed.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

snyprrr

Quote from: Velimir on May 15, 2014, 01:00:02 PM
Snip, to my utter amazement, someone is selling the Marlboro recording for over $1000. With a price like that, it's gotta be good, eh?:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00FZ0QGQC/ref=sr_1_10_np_1_main_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1400170037&sr=1-10&condition=new

The vinyl I found is Fine Arts 4tet + NY Wind Ensemble. Very obscure, apparently never CD'ed.

Sound on the Marlboro is festival 'live'... eh... Teldec's the only way to go here imo.

Yea, LOTS of things are being cornered in this way. Snap stuff up whilst it's cheap!

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on November 25, 2013, 05:44:18 AM
Mr Ashley puzzles me there, as well . . . I just find it absorbing to listen to.

McCabe is probably my favorite (and I owe that tip to Luke Ottevanger here at GMG);  I also have Olli Mustonen (that contriversial Finn), and Bernard Roberts.

One of these days, I shall apply myself to comparing the two versions of Das Marienleben . . . .
Roberts?
I liked his Beethoven so when I saw it dirt cheap picked up his WTC. In short, he couldn't play it. Whenever there was a quick trill or something like it there was a lag as he got his hands back into normal position. The result was and unending stream of small lurches. Unendurable. This was late in his career. Was the LT recording from some time ago?