Wagner ~ The Movie

Started by Solitary Wanderer, May 01, 2007, 06:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary Wanderer

I've just hired this movie. I though I was getting the 'Complete 9 hour Epic' but I've got two VHS tapes entitled Parts 1 & 2. I've done further research and discoverd their are four different versions of this movie available.

1. 2 x VHS tapes 300min Embassy Home Entertainment
2. 4 x VHS tapes 540 mins Kultar Video
3. 10 x DVDs 540 mins
4.   4 x DVDs 540 mins Kultar Video

So I'm curious if the version I have is an edited version or literally the first half of the 'complete epic'?

Either way I'm very keen to see this as the reviews are all very good and Wagner has a fascinating life story. I still need to buy the 4 DVD version to watch at some stage.

Anyone else seen this movie?

Thoughts?

:)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Anne

I have seen part of it.  I can't tell you anything about the various forms.  It did seem like mine was a 10-hour version that I watched about 8-10 years ago.

Really had a problem with it because the spoken word was at X decibels whereas the music was a X+4 decibels - a very distressing situation to say the least - one had to constantly adjust the volume.  Ultimately that caused me to not finish the video.

There is a similar 10-hour video of the Life and Times of Verdi, or similar title.  That one is excellent!  Make the effort to list Verdi's operas in chronological order.  As you watch them, keep in mind where they are in the list - early, middle, late.  Then when you finally watch that video of Verdi's life, it all comes together and gives great enjoyment. 

I hope I didn't discourage you.  For that I'm sorry.  If you discover a 9-10 hour version of the Wagner with compatible volumes, please let me know as I would like to watch it also.

max

I saw the long version of Wagner which was certainly opulent not least in the array of actors which graced the production, Gielgud, Richardson and Olivier. BTW, they didn't invite Burton to any parties since he was often drunk and somewhat semi-obnoxious during much of the filming. But it certainly was memorable with allot of music and great scenery and if you watched it for a while one could even get used to Burton playing Wagner who was by all accounts quite awed by him.

Ronald Pickup played Nietzsche who also played Verdi in the production I believe you're referring to and you're right, it was magnificent. Pickup was certainly a notch above playing Verdi than Burton was in playing Wagner, imo. But also Wagner's life and character present a somewhat greater challenge to be made viable on the screen. Nevertheless, there are great moments in both films and well worth viewing!

Grazioso

I saw it many years ago and thought it was a total snooze.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Hector

I saw it many years ago.

Hollywoodisation. Wagner was never as pretty as Richard Burton, not ever, not anyway.

Hasn't it got female nudity?

Is this the one where Liszt turns up in Venice.

Wagner: "Who's that at the door?"

Cosima: "It's your father-in-law. Humour him, he's in to writing religious music."

Shot of Liszt arriving in gondola.

Tosh. Buy without hesitation.

Solitary Wanderer

Ok, its looking like a love-it-or-hate-it kinda movie  :) Which makes me more curious to see it! I'll start watching it tomorrow night and report back with my thoughts.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Cato

Richard Burton, before his liver entered eternity   >:D   , admitted he had little to no memory of the movies he made in the 70's because of his chronic alcoholism.  (Check out "The Klansman" especially, or "The Exorcist II: The Heretic.")

But that's why you should check it out!    ;D

There are certain movie rules, e.g.    $:)

Any movie with Warren Oates, or Bruce Dern, or Rip Torn, or Charles Durning can't be half bad!

That applies to Burton movies from his dotage where he has to act sober while he's drunk!     :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Cato on May 02, 2007, 01:54:28 PM
Richard Burton, before his liver entered eternity   >:D   , admitted he had little to no memory of the movies he made in the 70's because of his chronic alcoholism.  (Check out "The Klansman" especially, or "The Exorcist II: The Heretic.")

But that's why you should check it out!    ;D

There are certain movie rules, e.g.    $:)

Any movie with Warren Oates, or Bruce Dern, or Rip Torn, or Charles Durning can't be half bad!

That applies to Burton movies from his dotage where he has to act sober while he's drunk!     :o

I guess this applies to Oliver Reed too  ;D

mahlertitan

sounds cool, i'll download it.

Steve

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on May 01, 2007, 06:39:09 PM

I've just hired this movie. I though I was getting the 'Complete 9 hour Epic' but I've got two VHS tapes entitled Parts 1 & 2. I've done further research and discoverd their are four different versions of this movie available.

1. 2 x VHS tapes 300min Embassy Home Entertainment
2. 4 x VHS tapes 540 mins Kultar Video
3. 10 x DVDs 540 mins
4.   4 x DVDs 540 mins Kultar Video

So I'm curious if the version I have is an edited version or literally the first half of the 'complete epic'?

Either way I'm very keen to see this as the reviews are all very good and Wagner has a fascinating life story. I still need to buy the 4 DVD version to watch at some stage.

Anyone else seen this movie?

Thoughts?

:)

With a nine hour epic, I guess this is a love-or-hate situtation. Was it costly?

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Steve on May 02, 2007, 08:48:58 PM
With a nine hour epic, I guess this is a love-or-hate situtation. Was it costly?

Hi Steve

At this stage I've just hired the 2 x VHS version. If I like it I'll invest in the...

...9 hour DVD edition  :o ;) :)

Solitary Wanderer

Okay, I watched the first 90mins of this last night and I must say that I rather enjoyed it.

Once you get past Richard Burton as Wagner complete with crisp English accent!

The locations, music, acting, costumes and atmosphere are quite compelling.

The story thus far is the familiar Wagner episodes with no surprises.

Sadly I only have the 4 hour version on VHS so its clear that its been quite chopped up from the original 9 hour version. I may have to invest in the complete 9 hour DVD edition at some stage.

Looking forward to the next installment tonight. 

knight66

I was fairly recently involved in a thread about this film and one of the other posters explained that Palmer's epic was actually 15 hours long. It was produced for TV. I saw one version of it and frankly thought Burton miscast, it seemed to me he went through it looking bored most of the time.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Cato

Quote from: knight on May 04, 2007, 11:02:31 PM
I was fairly recently involved in a thread about this film and one of the other posters explained that Palmer's epic was actually 15 hours long. It was produced for TV. I saw one version of it and frankly thought Burton miscast, it seemed to me he went through it looking bored most of the time.

Mike

It's called dipsomania!    8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: knight on May 04, 2007, 11:02:31 PM

Mike

Hi Mike: You may be thinking of The Life of Verdi which was 14 hours long. The original broadcast of Wagner was a 10 part TV mini series which, with the credits edited out, comes out at 8+ hours on DVD.

I finished watching the 5 hour cut down VHS version and, I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed it. Loved the locations, costumes, acting, characters and of course the music. I will buy the Complete Epic on DVD at some stage as it has whetted my appetite for the full account. We watched it over several nights which may have helped; it would be exhausting to sit through it in one go.

I don't usually like 'costume dramas' but I enjoyed the way this story unfolded. :)

knight66

Hi, I was just repeating what someone else had told me about the length of it. I saw it in I think three parts on TV, but I found it turgid. Disappointing as it was lavish and as people say photography etc were great. Perhaps it was designed specifically for those who find Siegfried too short and want more of it.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.