The Most "MOVING" Pieces for you Personally.

Started by dave b, March 22, 2008, 06:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varg

dave b

That was a lot of trouble, and I appreciate it very very much. Thanks.

Ten thumbs

Beauty and the beast, in no particular order:
Beethoven - Symphony No. 7
Mel Bonis - Piano Quartet in D major.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Varg

And here's Strauss!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=duSL3y2LASI (Metamorphosen. Not professional, but it gives you an idea. No need to say that it's not even comparable with the Karajan recording, so dont be influenced by the sound/playing. Part 2 and 3 are also available, just look at the right of your screen.)

And here's Barenboim playing a Nocturne:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-4quKyrOVww

Enjoy!

Varg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mEOKf3pVn-o

Pettersson's 7th. Such a bad interpretation! I would've never get into this if i heard that first. MUCH better on the cpo recording. One of my favorite work. Part 2-3-4-5 available, at the right.

hautbois

Everything on Kremer's "After Mozart" album.  ;D

Grieg's symphonic dances, no. 2

Too many things by Rachmaninov

Kodaly's Galanta Dances (Kodaly is so little performed these days, why why why?)

So much music, so much good music to be precise, that moves. A live performance of Beethoven's violin concerto moved me to tears, it was Vivianne Hagner playing. Not one single recording moved me before that.

Howard

quintett op.57

Regarding symphonies

Bruckner 5-9
Haydn 96-101-103
Shosta 10

Haffner

Mahler: 9th Symphony, 1st and 4th movements (Karajan)
Strauss: Metamorphosen/Death and Transfiguration. (Karajan)
Wagner: Rheingold in its entirety, Die Walkure in its entirety, Siegfried Act III, Gotterdammerung Prelude and Finale.
Wagner: Tristan und Isolde Acts I and III in their entirety
Wagner: Parsifal in its entirety
Mozart: Second Movement of String Quintet in Gm, k266, last movement of k387, Don Giovanni as a whole, "Im Diesem Heil'gen Hallen" aria.
Joseph Haydn: op. 76,5; op. 54, 1-3; op. 20, nos. 1 and 2
Handel: Messiah Prelude
Beethoven: op. 132 (Borodin Quartet), op. 59, 1 (Quartetto Italiano), Missa Solemnis (Klemperer)
Gorecki Symphony no. 3 1st Movement

Those are just some.

FideLeo

The six-part Ricercar from JSB's Musical Offering
The 1st movement allegro from Schubert's Quintet in C
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Haffner

Quote from: fl.traverso on March 22, 2008, 12:35:52 PM
The six-part Ricercar from JSB's Musical Offering
The 1st movement allegro from Schubert's Quintet in C

Very cool, untypical choices. Makes me want to break the Schubert out NOW!

Mozart

Quote from: Varg on March 22, 2008, 07:17:13 AM

Bruckner: 5th Symphony. (Celibidache)
Bruckner: 7th Symphony, 2nd movement. (Celibidache)
Bruckner: 9th Symphony, 3rd movement. (Skrowaczewski)
Mahler: 9th Symphony, 4th movement. (Chailly)
Pettersson: Symphonies 6-7-8. (cpo records)
Strauss: Metamorphosen/Death and Transfiguration. (Karajan)
Wagner: Most of his Overtures and Preludes. (Barenboim)
Williams: 5th Symphony, 3rd movement. (Hickox)

Great list, these pieces would surely move my butt out of the uncomfortable concert hall seats!

greg

Quote from: Jezetha on March 22, 2008, 07:10:17 AM
There are many pieces that move me deeply. But there is one piece that stands out for me - the last movement of Mahler's Tenth, simply the most heart-rending music I know. (And if it's Cooke who is mainly responsible for that, then he had his moment of genius.)
i just saw this thread, and i was going to mention this symphony (predictable, yeah, i know)  :P

but really, how much of it did "Cooke" write? Was it just the orchestrations? Sounds like it to me.... also, he has the same last name as me, as except with an e. Haha

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: dave b on March 22, 2008, 07:57:11 AM
Maybe I should define "moving" as I am using it. I mean beautifully moving, never moving in such a way as an explosion would "move" someone to distraction.

When I first read the title of your thread I was going to list the third movement of Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony...the most moving (in the sense of mind-blowing) music I know....but I guess I won't now  ;D

I'll be back!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Some of the most beautiful, and to me, emotionally moving music I know:

Fauré Pavane Op.50 - Barenboim/O de Paris (I prefer the choral version but the intrumental version affects me as deeply)

Fauré Pelléas et Mélisande - Ozawa/Boston (The entire suite is gorgeous but it was love at first listen when I heard the Sicilienne)

Mahler slow movements, especially: the Blumine (comes with some recordings of the First), the Second Symphony's Andante moderato (my father sighed audibly and turned to me and said, "God, that was beautiful," after he heard Ormandy and the Cleveland Orchestra...and my father was not a Mahler fan); the Fourth's Ruhevoll; the Fifth's Adagietto (it was played by Bernstein at JFK's memorial service); the Sixth's Andante moderto; the Ninth's great Adagio, the first movement.

I agree with the others here who mentioned the Finale of Mahler's 10th. Indescribably moving (especially those closing pages, dedicated to his wife).

If I had to recommend just one CD that fits your definition of beauty and emotion, it would be this one: It sustains the mood beautifully all the way through and includes some of my very favorite pieces of music (including a great "Danny Boy"):

Sarge

dave b

Thanks, Sarge, and others......I guess I am the only one who is absolutely capitvated by Respighi's Ancient Airs and Dances, Lausanne Chamber Orchestra....(?)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: dave b on March 23, 2008, 08:01:05 AM
Thanks, Sarge, and others......I guess I am the only one who is absolutely capitvated by Respighi's Ancient Airs and Dances, Lausanne Chamber Orchestra....(?)

I have them (in another performance). It's wonderful music, I agree. I promise to listen to them again.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

dave b

what recording do you have re Ancient Airs and Dances?  I always like to know more about these things...

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: dave b on March 23, 2008, 08:27:43 AM
what recording do you have re Ancient Airs and Dances?  I always like to know more about these things...

Seiji Ozawa, Boston Symphony Orchestra, DGG
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

The new erato

I'd recommend the Orpheus Ch Orchestra on DG if it's still available.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: dave b on March 23, 2008, 08:01:05 AM

Oh, not at all, Dave. I love it. If you want something similiar (old music tarted up in modern dress), try Warlock's Capriol Suite, Stravinsky's Pulcinella, and Richard Strauss's Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme Suite. All three works delightful, delicious, and very beautiful.

Sarge