Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Castle

Started by vandermolen, April 10, 2015, 01:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco_Manitobain

The Concertino for Harp and Chamber Orchestra, Op. 93, here performed by Catherine Michel (harp), Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte Carlo, conducted by Antonio de Almeida is quite lovely!

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: aligreto on September 23, 2020, 07:16:34 AMCastelnuovo-Tedesco: Platero And I, Second Series [Segovia]

Very pleasant and engaging music along with very fluid and masterly playing lends for a very pleasurable listening experience. This is one of those cases where one is simply prepared to sit back and let the music wash over you.

I must admit that I have never explored this composer beyond his guitar music as that is what has impacted on me in the past, in particular, the Guitar Concerto.

@aligreto Fergus, where the heck are you?  We really miss you around these parts!

Interesting you bring this up, the work Platero y yo, Op. 190 (Platero and I)

It is based on 28 poems of the above named by Spanish poet Juan Ramon Jimenez

The traditional performance is set to guitar and narration, but I see there are some recordings of just the guitar (if those who don't want the accompanying narration like me)  ;D

Here is an example of a complete recording of all 28 poems (sans narration), performed by Catherine Liolios

@Brian
@Bachtoven
@Dry Brett Kavanaugh
@San Antone
@Que
@JBS

I haven't listened to it yet (the complete Platero), but it peaked my interest via this absolutely terrific 1967 documentary by Christoper Nupen on Andres Segovia, which is a must watch in my opinion.  This is the second time I watch it!!  Hat tip again to @Papy Oli for bringing this video to our attention in the guitar recordings' thread.  :)

In The House of Andres Segovia

JBS

Perhaps my imagination is at work, but I think I read Platero and I as a kid--perhaps an adaptation?

Wikipedia reveals this composer wrote an 8 piece suite based on the book
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Sainz_de_la_Maza

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

This is the sort of releases I'm waiting for (to be released on June 14th):

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky