Béla Bartók (1881-1945)

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Was listening to Bartók's Piano Quartet in C minor (1898) from this recording. Yes, he wrote one, and what mastery and energy it displays. Despite it sounds heavily Brahmsian, I consider it one of his early masterpieces, the quality of the music is undeniable, and I can't imagine a more passionate and committed performance than this.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 10, 2023, 07:46:43 PMWas listening to Bartók's Piano Quartet in C minor (1898) from this recording. Yes, he wrote one, and what mastery and energy it displays. Despite it sounds heavily Brahmsian, I consider it one of his early masterpieces, the quality of the music is undeniable, and I can't imagine a more passionate and committed performance than this.

I haven't heard of that quartet before now.  Have you heard any other recordings by them?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 11, 2023, 06:10:54 AMI haven't heard of that quartet before now.  Have you heard any other recordings by them?
I read that it is their debut album. So, we will have to wait for a disc with more" meat"....

Jo498

They apparently have by now two more discs out, one with Brahms' op.25 g minor and an arrangement of his 3rd symphony! and one with Lajtha, Francaix and Tansman, see below:
I only have the "hungarian" disc and agree that it is a very worthwhile discovery. I at first didn't realize that the Dohnanyi is also an early hardly known work (I first thought it was one of his *quintets" that are of course reasonably well known and have been recorded several times)

https://www.jpc.de/s/notos+quartett
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Jo498 on September 11, 2023, 08:04:03 AMThey apparently have by now two more discs out, one with Brahms' op.25 g minor and an arrangement of his 3rd symphony! and one with Lajtha, Francaix and Tansman, see below:
I only have the "hungarian" disc and agree that it is a very worthwhile discovery. I at first didn't realize that the Dohnanyi is also an early hardly known work (I first thought it was one of his *quintets" that are of course reasonably well known and have been recorded several times)

https://www.jpc.de/s/notos+quartett
Thanks for the info.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

atardecer

Schiff on Bartók, also with interesting points relating to music interpretation in general.

"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa

brewski

On Feb. 2, the Kosmos Bartók festival opens with this live concert from the NDR Elbphilharmonie Orchestra, conductor Alan Gilbert, and pianist Igor Levit in the all-Bartók program below. Alas, I'll be unable to catch the livestream, but they often archive their concerts.

Bartók
Divertimento for String Orchestra
Piano Concerto No. 3
Concerto for Orchestra

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

brewski

On Saturday night, Feb. 10 at 8:00 pm, the Boston Symphony Orchestra will broadcast this concert below live. Encore broadcast will be on Monday, Feb. 19.

Karina Canellakis, conductor
Alisa Weilerstein, cello
Karen Cargill, mezzo-soprano
Nathan Berg, bass-baritone
Jeremiah Kissel, narrator

Haydn: Cello Concerto in C
Bartók: Bluebeard's Castle

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Pohjolas Daughter

Just listened to Bartók's solo violin sonata with Isabelle Faust.  Reading through the booklet, I noticed that it was the last work that Bartók wrote before his death.  It was a commission by Yehudi Menuhin with YM publishing it posthumously.  Apparently, according to the author of the booklet, that his edition did not include the microtones the composer intended for the Presto.

I know that Peter Bartók later created an Urtext of the work; was he able to find out what his father had in mind?
Pohjolas Daughter

Luke

Menuhin worked with Bartok on the piece, and wrote in his autobiography that the composer wanted the microtones. I've attached a screenshot. The two editions on IMSLP show

a) the first edition, the main line as microtonal, the semitonal version as an ossia
b) the Soviet edition, which only shows the semitonal (presumably the microtones were deemed unSoviet or something)

I've attached a screenshot of that too.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Luke on April 04, 2024, 08:04:13 AMMenuhin worked with Bartok on the piece, and wrote in his autobiography that the composer wanted the microtones. I've attached a screenshot. The two editions on IMSLP show

a) the first edition, the main line as microtonal, the semitonal version as an ossia
b) the Soviet edition, which only shows the semitonal (presumably the microtones were deemed unSoviet or something)

I've attached a screenshot of that too.
Thank you!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter