Boris Lyatoshynsky [1895-1968]

Started by Scion7, June 26, 2016, 07:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

The String Quartet No. 4 can be watched on YouTube in these two live performances:

Now we need a proper performance in great sound of the String Quartet No. 1, the only one that is missing.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 17, 2024, 04:48:37 PMTemptations shouldn't be avoid when they are harmless and give pleasure (do not think about the bank account, though).  ;)

Just heard those two quartets (you see, I couldn't resist the temptation myself!) and I am more than positively impressed. Even though they are tonal, they are suffused with quite piquant gestures and spicy harmony, above all the No. 3. The slow movements of both are very special and for different reasons; one (the Intermezzo from the 2nd SQ) is hauntingly beautiful, like a lament, and it reminded me a bit of (oddly enough) Dvorak's American style, although it also seems to sound like Oriental music. Really beautiful. The Nocturne from the 3rd SQ has an eerie and mysterious atmosphere, pretty fascinating indeed, albeit most of that quartet is imbued with that quality. It could be the most interesting one of the two.

Committed ensembles like the Quatuor Tchalik are the ones that should tackle this repertoire to do them justice, and fortunately we obtain that in those highly spirited and sharp performances. This is already a discovery of the year to me.
Thanks for the feedback Cesar - good to know. I greatly admire the music of Lyatoshinsky/Lyatoshynsky.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Lyatoshinsky is a composer who rarely disappoints. I have great admiration for all of his symphonies (especially nos. 2-4), the tone poem Grazhyna, and his Piano Quintet (Ukrainian Quintet, recorded recently by Naxos). A few months ago, I discovered his two excellent piano trios:

These works are firmly within the soulful Russian Romantic tradition, albeit with an moderately expanded tonal language. The 2nd Trio is especially compelling with its slow movement entitled In Character Ballad and its finale which is an inventive Theme and Variations.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

AnotherSpin

Quote from: kyjo on May 19, 2024, 10:52:42 AMLyatoshinsky is a composer who rarely disappoints. I have great admiration for all of his symphonies (especially nos. 2-4), the tone poem Grazhyna, and his Piano Quintet (Ukrainian Quintet, recorded recently by Naxos). A few months ago, I discovered his two excellent piano trios:

These works are firmly within the soulful Russian Romantic tradition, albeit with an moderately expanded tonal language. The 2nd Trio is especially compelling with its slow movement entitled In Character Ballad and its finale which is an inventive Theme and Variations.

Russian?

foxandpeng

Quote from: kyjo on May 19, 2024, 10:52:42 AMLyatoshinsky is a composer who rarely disappoints. I have great admiration for all of his symphonies (especially nos. 2-4), the tone poem Grazhyna, and his Piano Quintet (Ukrainian Quintet, recorded recently by Naxos). A few months ago, I discovered his two excellent piano trios:

I like what I've heard so far. More effort needed from me!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy