Vitezslaw Novak (1870-1949)

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2007, 07:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 13, 2024, 07:14:21 PM

Among many works to choose from to listen to tonight, I wanted to start with Novák's epic work par excellence: The Storm - A Sea Fantasy for soloists, chorus and orchestra, op. 42. There are many pieces whose inspiration has been the sea and its diverse incidents, some more captivating than others and Novák's towering masterpiece belongs to the most masterful ones without a doubt.

It portrays a storm at sea and at the same time it serves like a parallel to the tribulations of human condition. Novák succeeded to depict a vivid marine soundscape with evident brilliance, not only in the precise use of the orchestra, but also in the writing for human voices and the unfolding development. The music is mostly dramatic and very atmospheric throughout its duration. However, when the music is reaching its conclusion, after the diverse apparitions of the characters and their emotions, some of the most ineffable music ensues: a cathartic culmination featuring the chorus closes the piece, bringing the most satisfying ending to such musical story. Those are glorious minutes, they gave me goosebumps with good reason (once again).

I'm aware of music like this will not appeal to everybody, but if you're into rich heroic gestures, music filled with stirring moments and great storytelling, do not hesitate to try this monumental piece of art.

It disconcerts me why this is one of the two recordings available (the other is in mono), but fortunately it's phenomenal. I hope Naxos in its Novák series will record this magnificent piece along with the two symphonies.

Hm. Maybe I need to listen to this.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 15, 2024, 12:09:07 PMHm. Maybe I need to listen to this.

Well worth your time if you are receptive to great late-Romantic stuff.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 15, 2024, 03:06:29 PMWell worth your time if you are receptive to great late-Romantic stuff.

I've been known to dabble, despite my usual preferences 😁😄
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 15, 2024, 03:11:48 PMI've been known to dabble, despite my usual preferences 😁😄
I'd strongly recommend 'The Storm' which, after epic tribulations. finally arrives at a most overwhelming spiritual catharsis.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on April 16, 2024, 10:09:57 PMI'd strongly recommend 'The Storm' which, after epic tribulations. finally arrives at a most overwhelming spiritual catharsis.

On the list, by the sounds of things  ;D

Tolstoy

lunar22

I've been meaning to get to know this piece properly for months so this is a timely reminder. At the moment my favourite Novak is the Slovak Suite. Described on the sleevenote as a light work, it is is anything but -- I can scarcely think of a more intense expression of heavenly bliss in music and for this reason it's one of my favourite works and not just by Novak.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: lunar22 on April 17, 2024, 07:41:04 AMAt the moment my favourite Novak is the Slovak Suite. Described on the sleevenote as a light work, it is is anything but -- I can scarcely think of a more intense expression of heavenly bliss in music and for this reason it's one of my favourite works and not just by Novak.

Any favorite recording you recommend?
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

lunar22

Vajnar Czech Philharmonic is the one I own and swear by but there are a surprising number of recordings listed these days --certainly not the case when I got the Vajnar over 30 years ago -- including the likes of Ancerl and Talich. Sejna is very expressive in "In Church", though I  can't find the rest of it. "At Night" is an even greater movement in my book.

Incidentally, this wonderful work was the direct inspiration for the last movement of my most recent symphony when I happened to hear it on the radio a couple of months back and went back to my recording.

vandermolen

Most sources seem to suggest that Novak's greatest works were all composed early on in his composing career. I disagree as the South Bohemian Suite  and the darkly moving 'De Profundis' were composed late on in his career - both being influenced by political events (Hitler's threat to Czechoslovakia and ultimately the German occupation of the Czech lands).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

lunar22

"De Profundis" is certainly a masterpiece but the South Bohemian Suite is not a patch on the Slovak Suite, I'm afraid. My own experience in general would tend to agree with "most sources".