Author Topic: Mahler Mania, Rebooted  (Read 478477 times)

Offline vers la flamme

Re: Mahler Mania, Rebooted
« Reply #4460 on: November 17, 2019, 03:53:42 AM »
What year were you born?  1870?
1995, actually.  ;D

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #4461 on: November 17, 2019, 07:38:55 AM »
1995, actually.  ;D

I guess I didn't follow your comment about "what other symphony starts that way [as Mahler 9]" which seemed like you were comparing symphonies to Brahms era and ignoring all that came after that.  Anyway, my point was stupid or could have been better worded.  Why wouldn't you consider Shosti 11 opening similar to Mahler 9 for example?  Gliere 3?  Haug 1 and 2?  I didn't really follow your reasoning for saying what other work starts like M9 unless you meant contemporaneously to M9.

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #4462 on: November 17, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
I guess I didn't follow your comment about "what other symphony starts that way [as Mahler 9]" which seemed like you were comparing symphonies to Brahms era and ignoring all that came after that.  Anyway, my point was stupid or could have been better worded.  Why wouldn't you consider Shosti 11 opening similar to Mahler 9 for example?  Gliere 3?  Haug 1 and 2?  I didn't really follow your reasoning for saying what other work starts like M9 unless you meant contemporaneously to M9.
Yes, I meant contemporaneously to Mahler's 9th. Not contemporaneous to Brahms. And certainly not in terms of later music. Even in light of the music that came after, in what way is the opening to Mahler's 9th conventional? Just because that Shostakovich symphony might start out in a similar way (keeping in mind that Shostakovich was heavily influenced by Mahler, after all), that doesn't mean that Mahler's 9th is suddenly conventional.

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #4463 on: November 17, 2019, 10:32:41 AM »
We also made the mistake of playing the entirety of Wagner’s Ring Cycle over another weekend. I was a mess at the end of that little exercise as were a few others. I can’t understand how live audiences will inflict the same discipline on themselves at Beirut.

Maybe you overdosed. The place is Bayreuth.  ;)

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #4464 on: November 17, 2019, 12:29:38 PM »
Funnily enough at the first Ring performance some of the stage props (made in England) never arrived because they were mistakenly sent to Beirut instead. So Seigfried fought Fafner the dragon who had no neck section and it seemed like the Germanic hero was simply being cruel to a disabled reptile! True story.

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #4465 on: November 17, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »
Funnily enough at the first Ring performance some of the stage props (made in England) never arrived because they were mistakenly sent to Beirut instead. So Seigfried fought Fafner the dragon who had no neck section and it seemed like the Germanic hero was simply being cruel to a disabled reptile! True story.

:laugh: :laugh:

That's one of the funniest things I've ever read here. I sincerely hope that the missing dragon parts are still in a Lebanese museum somewhere...

... I wonder if they ever have mini Wagner festivals in Beirut. That would actually be a great idea.

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #4466 on: November 17, 2019, 04:56:11 PM »
Yes, I meant contemporaneously to Mahler's 9th. Not contemporaneous to Brahms. And certainly not in terms of later music. Even in light of the music that came after, in what way is the opening to Mahler's 9th conventional? Just because that Shostakovich symphony might start out in a similar way (keeping in mind that Shostakovich was heavily influenced by Mahler, after all), that doesn't mean that Mahler's 9th is suddenly conventional.

Thanks for that extra context.  Now I understand what I meant. 

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #4467 on: November 18, 2019, 12:22:29 AM »
This is probably beside the point but I don't think that the beginning of DSCH 11 is like Mahler 9 at all. It's somewhat similar to Mahler 1. And supposedly both depict dawn/daybreak, so that's even less surprising.
As it is impossible to listen to pieces that are 100 or 200 or more years old "fresh" like a contemporary would have heard them, one should not stress this point (strange, shocking, unconventional etc. for a contemporary) too much. But I don't think it is irrelevant and often helpful to get a better perspective on a piece.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #4468 on: February 12, 2020, 11:53:47 AM »
A good deal of Mahler on ClassicsToday. This one from me:

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/gattis-fine-concertgebouw-video-mahler/

As with cocaine from a dodgy dealer, you never know what you get with Daniele Gatti:
An enormous high or a bum experience. Whereas my information on the former is based
on hearsay, the latter is based on repeat exposure, with an array of both...

This is Victor Carr Jr. on YNS's M8

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/nezet-seguins-dehydrated-mahler-8th/

...and Hurwitz on Vanska's M4. (Which I reviewed for the Klassik-Heute (formerly the German sister-site of ClassicsToday),
wondering how David H. would feel about it, because he's slammed Vanska's Mahler so far and I found this one reall
rather good.

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/vanskas-much-improved-mahler-4th/