Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Quote from: Biffo on March 05, 2021, 12:29:44 AM
There are three Barbirolli recordings of Mahler 6 available. The EMI studio recording, originally issued with Scherzo-Andante against Barbirolli's wishes: I have it in a two-disc format making it difficult to play in the correct order. There are two live performances, both on Testament, with the Berlin Philharmonic (1966) and the New Philharmonia (1967).  Both are brisker than the studio performance which I find preferable and there is nothing to choose between them except the NPO recording is in stereo.

I believe Mahler recordings are best when they are from a single concert.  The nature of the music and its meticulous phrasing is such that even the same conductor with the same orchestra can have different results on different days.  I know the MTT/SFO cycle recorded several days of concerts of a given work and edited them to provide a cleaned up listening experience but at the cost of spontaneity.  I don't mind if 90% of the audio is from a single performance and the orchestra does a patch up of flubs and coughs, etc., since the that's like patching holes on the wall without interfering with the architecture, but when they use bar 1 to 23 from Friday's concert, bar 24 to 30 from Saturday's, Bar 31 to 33 from Sunday's, bar 34 to 41 from Friday, etc., etc., you don't really get a homogeneous performance even though it might be more correct and Mahler suffers from the result more than other composers.

5against4

(cross-posting this from the Great Recordings and Reviews thread, in the hope one of you can help!)

i've recently finished journeying through Simon Rattle's EMI box set of all the Mahler Symphonies, and was struck by an oddity that occurs on one of the final discs. Tagged onto the end of the Das Klagende Lied disc, there's a 3-minute 'extract' from Der Abschied featuring Anne Sofie von Otter. The complete version of Das Lied Von Der Erde is on the next disc and features Thomas Hampson and Peter Seiffert, so it's left me wondering about that tantalising 3-minute recording.

The same extract is included on one of Simon Rattle's 'Leaving Home' discs (accompanying the TV series), but that's all i can find. There doesn't appear to have ever been a complete release of Das Lied Von Der Erde featuring von Otter with the CBSO and Simon Rattle.

Does anyone know anything more about this - perhaps a recording i've missed? Or maybe that extract was recorded specifically for the TV series?
It's such a gorgeous 3-minute clip that it left me gagging to hear them do a complete performance!

Biffo

Quote from: 5against4 on March 10, 2021, 12:31:48 AM
(cross-posting this from the Great Recordings and Reviews thread, in the hope one of you can help!)

i've recently finished journeying through Simon Rattle's EMI box set of all the Mahler Symphonies, and was struck by an oddity that occurs on one of the final discs. Tagged onto the end of the Das Klagende Lied disc, there's a 3-minute 'extract' from Der Abschied featuring Anne Sofie von Otter. The complete version of Das Lied Von Der Erde is on the next disc and features Thomas Hampson and Peter Seiffert, so it's left me wondering about that tantalising 3-minute recording.

The same extract is included on one of Simon Rattle's 'Leaving Home' discs (accompanying the TV series), but that's all i can find. There doesn't appear to have ever been a complete release of Das Lied Von Der Erde featuring von Otter with the CBSO and Simon Rattle.

Does anyone know anything more about this - perhaps a recording i've missed? Or maybe that extract was recorded specifically for the TV series?
It's such a gorgeous 3-minute clip that it left me gagging to hear them do a complete performance!

That is interesting. I have the Rattle/CBSO recording of DKL as a separate disc and it has no extras.

5against4

Quote from: Biffo on March 10, 2021, 12:50:26 AM
That is interesting. I have the Rattle/CBSO recording of DKL as a separate disc and it has no extras.
i'm guessing they included it in the box set to be as 'complete' as possible as regards to recordings by Rattle. But it's kind of odd to have just three minutes of a 30-minute song! And, as i say, it's gorgeous - so it just leaves you desperate to hear the whole thing!

Biffo

Quote from: 5against4 on March 10, 2021, 12:57:20 AM
i'm guessing they included it in the box set to be as 'complete' as possible as regards to recordings by Rattle. But it's kind of odd to have just three minutes of a 30-minute song! And, as i say, it's gorgeous - so it just leaves you desperate to hear the whole thing!

As far as I can determine von Otter hasn't recorded Das Lied von der Erde with anybody. A pity as she has recorded quite a lot of Mahler.

5against4

Quote from: Biffo on March 10, 2021, 12:59:45 AM
As far as I can determine von Otter hasn't recorded Das Lied von der Erde with anybody. A pity as she has recorded quite a lot of Mahler.

Blimey, it didn't occur to me that she would never have recorded Das Lied with anyone!

But it looks like you're right. Apart from two performances of Das Lied featuring her in the Berlin Phil Digital Concert Hall (one with Abbado, the other with Rattle), i can't find any other recordings listed.

Which only makes that 3-minute extract all the more puzzling!

Biffo

Quote from: 5against4 on March 10, 2021, 01:10:06 AM
Blimey, it didn't occur to me that she would never have recorded Das Lied with anyone!

But it looks like you're right. Apart from two performances of Das Lied featuring her in the Berlin Phil Digital Concert Hall (one with Abbado, the other with Rattle), i can't find any other recordings listed.

I recently had a free subscription to the BPO Digital Concert Hall but didn't notice those performances in the archive. I will have to remember to look up those performances if I get the chance.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 5against4 on March 10, 2021, 01:10:06 AM

Yeah, to my knowledge, she's never been a featured soloist in Das Lied on record, which is a shame, because I do admire her voice and musicality.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2021, 11:49:05 AM
Yeah, to my knowledge, she's never been a featured soloist in Das Lied on record, which is a shame, because I do admire her voice and musicality.

Why would you say that if there is a link to a video of her performing as soloist with Berlin/Rattle above? 

5against4

Quote from: relm1 on March 10, 2021, 03:54:03 PM
Why would you say that if there is a link to a video of her performing as soloist with Berlin/Rattle above?

Well of course, the key word here is record (i.e. not video), and in any case my query was about her performing with the CBSO, not Berlin. Strange she never recorded an album of this piece.

Mirror Image

Record not video.

Biffo

There isn't a link. To access the concert you have to subscribe to the Digital Concert Hall.

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/home

Cato

This is different, even unexpected!

The U.S. Navy Concert Band:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Dcua8t6J7bE
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Biffo

Quote from: Cato on March 11, 2021, 03:28:10 AM
This is different, even unexpected!

The U.S. Navy Concert Band:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Dcua8t6J7bE

But nearer to what Mahler wanted than we usually hear. He used a chamber orchestra though slightly larger than the one here. Also he had this song sung by a baritone, Friedrich Weidermann.

Cato

Quote from: Biffo on March 11, 2021, 03:50:06 AM
But nearer to what Mahler wanted than we usually. hear. He used a chamber orchestra though slightly larger than the one here. Also he had this song sung by a baritone, Friedrich Weidermann.

True, and I found my own impression of this rather interesting, for I was reminded more and more of the Schoenberg of the Second String Quartet.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

bhodges

Haven't thought about getting a new Mahler recording in awhile, but I'm definitely thinking about this one. Coming in June, Gustavo Dudamel and the Los Angeles Philharmonic in Mahler 8, recorded at Walt Disney Concert Hall in May 2019 as the season finale. Sounds like the sonics could be excellent. More info here:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/classical-news/gustavo-dudamel-mahler-symphony-8/

--Bruce

Herman

Weird the soloist singers aren't named.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Herman on May 20, 2021, 10:50:00 AM
Weird the soloist singers aren't named.

As if the only name of any importance is Dudamel's
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Herman

It's one of those Eighths that goes for the maximum largest choir, which isn't necessarily better.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Herman on May 20, 2021, 12:56:11 PM
It's one of those Eighths that goes for the maximum largest choir, which isn't necessarily better.

Truly.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot