Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on December 11, 2021, 02:21:51 PM
Thanks to Roasted Swan's notice I downloaded the Abravanel cycle and have been listening to it.

I'm very impressed with it, given that these are 60s/70s recordings (?) the quality is very good, and whilst the interpretation isn't at the very highest level that you get with the greatest conductors, they are good, plain interpretations that sometimes made to you think 'oh, I'd never noticed that passage before', or, 'that's an interesting way to play it'. I have listened to 5, 6 and 9 so far and there's nothing in those accounts that would make me not recommend listening to them.

Pity he didn't do a Das Lied.

What was the bitrate of the download?

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 11, 2021, 08:52:02 PM
What was the bitrate of the download?

The only figure in the metadata is 44.1khz, which of course isn't a bitrate. Anyway, sounds good to me.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

bhodges

Quote from: Leo K. on December 10, 2021, 08:14:47 AM
I've been getting into Mahler again after a few years, via the wonderful 4th symphony, which somehow I underrate how amazing it is. I have tons of recordings of it and have no preference for a favorite - I like just to put one on and listen. :)

That's the ticket.

The only recording that doesn't quite satisfy me is Bernstein's -- only the final movement with the boy soprano (who sings perfectly well). A worthy experiment, but I prefer the timbre that a female soprano brings to the part.

That symphony also has one of my favorite Mahler slow movements. Just listened to the Boulez/Cleveland recording, which will do just fine. Like you, I have no preference for a favorite. So many good ones to choose from.

--Bruce

vers la flamme

The 4th has my favorite Mahler adagio of them all. It's amazing.

Mirror Image

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on December 11, 2021, 10:03:44 PM
The only figure in the metadata is 44.1khz, which of course isn't a bitrate. Anyway, sounds good to me.

Ah, okay. Yeah, that doesn't really tell anything, but thanks for the feedback.

P.S. I'm downloading this Abravanel set now, so I'll let you, and anyone else who is wondering, what bitrate is used.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brewski on December 11, 2021, 10:29:58 PM
That's the ticket.

The only recording that doesn't quite satisfy me is Bernstein's -- only the final movement with the boy soprano (who sings perfectly well). A worthy experiment, but I prefer the timbre that a female soprano brings to the part.

That symphony also has one of my favorite Mahler slow movements. Just listened to the Boulez/Cleveland recording, which will do just fine. Like you, I have no preference for a favorite. So many good ones to choose from.

--Bruce

It should be noted that Bruce is referring to Bernstein's DG recording and not the fantastic Columbia recording. :)

vers la flamme

The Bernstein/NY on Columbia/Sony is I think my favorite. With Reri Grist in the 4th movement. Amazing. I also love the Reiner/Chicago with Lisa della Casa and Szell/Cleveland with Judith Raskin.

Mirror Image

Some of my favorite 4th symphony performances: Bernstein (Columbia), Karajan and Iván Fischer.

vers la flamme

Never heard the Karajan, I wonder why it doesn't get talked about as much as his 5th, 6th and 9th (live) recordings. I really enjoy all of his Mahler recordings though I know they have their haters here (Mahlerian who doesn't post here anymore was a fervent anti-Karajanist) and elsewhere.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on December 11, 2021, 02:21:51 PM
Thanks to Roasted Swan's notice I downloaded the Abravanel cycle and have been listening to it.

I'm very impressed with it, given that these are 60s/70s recordings (?) the quality is very good, and whilst the interpretation isn't at the very highest level that you get with the greatest conductors, they are good, plain interpretations that sometimes made to you think 'oh, I'd never noticed that passage before', or, 'that's an interesting way to play it'. I have listened to 5, 6 and 9 so far and there's nothing in those accounts that would make me not recommend listening to them.

Pity he didn't do a Das Lied.

I think that's a very fair summary of the Abravanel cycle which I recall was recorded from the mid 60's to the mid 70's.  Again from memory, it was one of the first single conductor/orchestra cycles and the first all American cycle (Bernstein's NYPO cycle had the LSO in No.8....)

bhodges

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 12, 2021, 05:46:37 AM
It should be noted that Bruce is referring to Bernstein's DG recording and not the fantastic Columbia recording. :)

Yes, that's right. The previous one, with Reri Grist, is just fine. (PS, I haven't seen the Vienna Philharmonic DVD with Edith Mathis, but have enjoyed some of Bernstein's other Mahler DVDs.)

--Bruce

bhodges

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 12, 2021, 05:55:55 AM
Never heard the Karajan, I wonder why it doesn't get talked about as much as his 5th, 6th and 9th (live) recordings. I really enjoy all of his Mahler recordings though I know they have their haters here (Mahlerian who doesn't post here anymore was a fervent anti-Karajanist) and elsewhere.

Though I've heard some of Karajan's Mahler, haven't heard the 4th yet. (Too much Mahler running around!) Used to play his No. 6 to death (speaking of fine slow movements), and his outlook on the 9th is quite marvelous.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 12, 2021, 05:55:55 AM

I've always adored Karajan's conducting. Do I like him in everything? Absolutely not, but I really don't understand the hate. Anyway, it's okay there's plenty of people who hate Bernstein's Mahler recordings, too. Honestly, if I'm moved by the performance, another person's opinion doesn't matter to me nor does it hinder my enjoyment of the music.

You should check out his 4th. I'm sure it's online somewhere, but the only I could find it in a physical format was a Japanese reissue, because I couldn't find an original issue of it:

Mirror Image

Oh, I forgot to mention another 4th symphony performance I love:

LKB

Quote from: Brewski on December 12, 2021, 06:06:55 AM
Yes, that's right. The previous one, with Reri Grist, is just fine. (PS, I haven't seen the Vienna Philharmonic DVD with Edith Mathis, but have enjoyed some of Bernstein's other Mahler DVDs.)

--Bruce

I've owned all of the DG DVDs for years, and can recommend the double-disc set which offers the Fourth through Sixth symphonies.  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

bhodges

Quote from: LKB on December 12, 2021, 07:20:37 AM
I've owned all of the DG DVDs for years, and can recommend the double-disc set which offers the Fourth through Sixth symphonies.  ;)

Thanks! I've seen No. 2, but don't recall seeing any of the others. (Again, too much Mahler around, which is a nice problem to have.)

--Bruce

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 12, 2021, 06:16:19 AM
I've always adored Karajan's conducting. Do I like him in everything? Absolutely not, but I really don't understand the hate. Anyway, it's okay there's plenty of people who hate Bernstein's Mahler recordings, too. Honestly, if I'm moved by the performance, another person's opinion doesn't matter to me nor does it hinder my enjoyment of the music.

You should check out his 4th. I'm sure it's online somewhere, but the only I could find it in a physical format was a Japanese reissue, because I couldn't find an original issue of it:

???
There's several used copies on Amazon MP, although only a few can be called reasonably priced.
This should be the link.

[Asin]B00000E3HM[/asin]

I just ordered it. I'm one of those who like Karajan's Mahler.

I might mention that I don't mind the boy soprano in Bernstein's DG recording, although it's not my favorite 4th

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on December 12, 2021, 05:57:27 PM
???
There's several used copies on Amazon MP, although only a few can be called reasonably priced.
This should be the link.

[Asin]B00000E3HM[/asin]

I just ordered it. I'm one of those who like Karajan's Mahler.

I might mention that I don't mind the boy soprano in Bernstein's DG recording, although it's not my favorite 4th

Thanks for the link, Jeffrey. That's cool you ordered it. I hope you enjoy it!

LKB

Quote from: Brewski on December 12, 2021, 05:41:55 PM
Thanks! I've seen No. 2, but don't recall seeing any of the others. (Again, too much Mahler around, which is a nice problem to have.)

--Bruce

My favorite volume is the first, which offers Symphonies 1-3. When the evangelical mood takes me, I'll occasionally loan it out to people who have heard of Mahler and enjoy orchestral music, but aren't prepared or able to invest in an unknown. They're excellent performances in good sound, particularly 1 and 3 ( which, btw, features an honest-to-goodness posthorn for the third movement ).

LKB

Count me in as a member of the Karajan's Mahler Club as well.

The ( mostly ) live Ninth is practically mandatory for any serious Mahler collector, and I'd say the Sixth and Das Lied von der Erde have much to offer as well.

4 and 5 aren't quite as impressive imho, but they both have their moments, 4 in particular.

Karajan's Mahler was a work in progress. If memory serves, he referred during an interview to plans for eventually recording both the Third and the Eighth with the BPO. How unfortunate it is that the infamous personnel drama around Sabine Meyer should poison his relationship with the orchestra, and nullify those plans.