Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapman

Earlier this year, I received the new Berliner Philharmoniker box as a gift, and listened to most of it.

I'm now, slowly, working through the Gielen box.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 14, 2022, 07:52:41 AM
Those Matinee concerts are FANTASTIC! I own the CD box set, which I bought as a Japanese import, but its worth its weight in gold:

That exists!?  I had only heard bootlegs and YT streams.  I didn't know that there was an official release.  Wow I'll have to see if I can stream it.

Edit: nope I cannot.  This marks the triumph of MI as the cd collector.  Every other time MI you boasted about having something rare I easily found it on streaming.  But not this time!  You win.  I'll have to see if I can buy it (if it is still available).

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on July 14, 2022, 10:53:38 AM
That exists!?  I had only heard bootlegs and YT streams.  I didn't know that there was an official release.  Wow I'll have to see if I can stream it.

Edit: nope I cannot.  This marks the triumph of MI as the cd collector.  Every other time MI you boasted about having something rare I easily found it on streaming.  But not this time!  You win.  I'll have to see if I can buy it (if it is still available).

:P I bought this set from Amazon Japan, but I imagine you could find it also on CD Japan or HMV Japan. Good luck!  ;)

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 14, 2022, 11:24:01 AM
:P I bought this set from Amazon Japan, but I imagine you could find it also on CD Japan or HMV Japan. Good luck!  ;)

Okay it is unavailable on Amazon JP and HMV Japan... but I found it on CD Japan (but it does say availability to be confirmed).  So I put my order in.  Fingers crossed.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: DavidW on July 14, 2022, 11:43:19 AM
Okay it is unavailable on Amazon JP and HMV Japan... but I found it on CD Japan (but it does say availability to be confirmed).  So I put my order in.  Fingers crossed.
[/quote

I have the DVD set of these performances - GREAT hairstyles!

Madiel

Gielen.

My Mahler rate rarely exceeds about one symphony every 6-9 months. They need to gestate.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Cato

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 14, 2022, 06:46:23 AM

If you're listening to Mahler these days, what Mahler are you listening to?

For me, lots of these recordings:

Excellent recordings there: the CD of the First Symphony with Boulez on DGG is what convinced me to buy his Mahler cycle as it was released.

Recently, I returned to this classic performance of Das Lied von der Erde: an excellent restoration!

https://www.youtube.com/v/XU_vuKSP2Z0&t=811s

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

LKB

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 14, 2022, 07:52:41 AM
Those Matinee concerts are FANTASTIC! I own the CD box set, which I bought as a Japanese import, but its worth its weight in gold:

I'll be picking that up, hopefully without excessive difficulty or expense.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on July 14, 2022, 11:43:19 AM

Cool. Hopefully, you will be able to snag a copy.

JBS

There is a used copy listed on Amazon US for approximately $114. The vendor seems to be located in Japan.

Or you could opt for the new copy being offered for $298.

https://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-Christmas-Bernard-Haitink/dp/B01HV9BD8A/

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: LKB on July 14, 2022, 04:05:17 PM

Good luck, LKB! Yes, I hope you'll be able to buy the set as well.

staxomega

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 14, 2022, 06:46:23 AM
If you're listening to Mahler these days, what Mahler are you listening to?

For me, lots of these recordings:

https://i.postimg.cc/mgQRQPk4/image.png

https://i.postimg.cc/fWphpc0Z/image.png

https://i.postimg.cc/7LHv0Xj1/image.png

https://i.postimg.cc/zG5D2C9v/image.png

I'm always sampling new performances, but I don't buy much. Some of my best purchases from this year:

Thierry Fischer Mahler 8 - almost as good as Horenstein. Discussed several pages ago in this thread.

Ancerl Mahler 9 (Czech Phil) - phenomenal performance of Mahler's 9. The "gold series" CD that has noise reduction, the earlier postage stamp CD sounds better.

Neumann's incomplete second cycle. I listened to the Supraphon cycle many times to determine if I wanted to buy this. Both area very good, but I find the performances superior on the second cycle.

In my to hear pile (I pretty much never make blind buys, this was $1) - Kaplan Mahler 2 with LSO. I don't mind the Vienna performance, I don't have any strong positive or negative opinions on Kaplan. My favorite performances are more deeply passionate than his more structured, detailed (micromanaged?) reading, I estimate I play it every five years or so, I was curious about the LSO performance.

DavidW

Quote from: LKB on July 14, 2022, 04:05:17 PM

My order was confirmed at CD Japan, which meant that their supplier had it in stock.  I should receive it in 1-2 weeks.  It was $86 shipped.  Much better than the scalper's price online.

DavidW

My recent Mahler is relistening to old favs: Gielen, Bernstein II and Chailly.  And also listening to new to me: the two Fischers and Vanska.

vers la flamme

Quote from: DavidW on July 15, 2022, 09:08:10 AM
My recent Mahler is relistening to old favs: Gielen, Bernstein II and Chailly.  And also listening to new to me: the two Fischers and Vanska.

Thoughts on Vänskä?

I just watched that really long Dave Hurwitz video on Mahler cycles, and as it turns out your old favs are his top three picks.

DavidW

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 15, 2022, 01:25:12 PM
Thoughts on Vänskä?

I just watched that really long Dave Hurwitz video on Mahler cycles, and as it turns out your old favs are his top three picks.

I will reserve judgment for now.  I will say that if Hurwitz also really likes Bertini and Kubelik, then I think that we are on the exact same page for Mahler.

LKB

Hurwitz posted a new video today, apparently Breitkopf and Härtel have published a new edition of Das Lied von der Erde which corrects a minor percussion discrepancy by utilizing Mahler's autograph score.

It's not anything revelatory, but Hurwitz seems excited about it.

https://youtu.be/SCL40iEqS0o
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

staxomega

Quote from: DavidW on July 15, 2022, 02:01:58 PM
I will reserve judgment for now.  I will say that if Hurwitz also really likes Bertini and Kubelik, then I think that we are on the exact same page for Mahler.

What don't you like about Kubelik's cycle, and I assume you mean DG? His live Audite performances are more often superior, but won't change your opinion if you don't like him. I have been meaning to revisit the Bertini cycle. Hurwitz often misses the feel for the music (unless it's from his dear Bernstein, then he will actually talk about interpretation more) but instead champions perfect orchestral playing, excitement, etc.

DavidW

Quote from: hvbias on July 16, 2022, 03:59:53 AM
What don't you like about Kubelik's cycle, and I assume you mean DG? His live Audite performances are more often superior, but won't change your opinion if you don't like him. I have been meaning to revisit the Bertini cycle. Hurwitz often misses the feel for the music (unless it's from his dear Bernstein, then he will actually talk about interpretation more) but instead champions perfect orchestral playing, excitement, etc.

I think you misread me.  I was saying that Kubelik is one of my top cycles.  And yes I do mean the Audite.  I really have no idea walked away from my post thinking I didn't like Kubelik!  But I did similar gross misreading of a post on the listening thread, so whatever. ;D

staxomega

Quote from: DavidW on July 16, 2022, 05:11:32 AM
I think you misread me.  I was saying that Kubelik is one of my top cycles.  And yes I do mean the Audite.  I really have no idea walked away from my post thinking I didn't like Kubelik!  But I did similar gross misreading of a post on the listening thread, so whatever. ;D

A gross misreading for sure! ??? I don't even have a good excuse, as I've already pulled two shots this morning