Author Topic: Mahler Mania, Rebooted  (Read 654095 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: Mahler Mania, Rebooted
« Reply #5100 on: August 04, 2022, 06:01:33 PM »
The reason I've held off so far is because I realized that I already have most of the recordings with the exception of 5 and 6. But, if you or anyone else can convince me that the Warner set has a new remaster that's worth hearing...  ;D

The new remastering is first class.
I also just got some Barbirolli Society CDs of two symphonies he didn't record for HMV/EMI--the Second and the Seventh, and the First with the Czech Philharmonic. They're all live performances. I have yet to listen to any, so I can't tell you how good they are.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #5101 on: August 05, 2022, 01:44:11 AM »
The new remastering is first class.
I also just got some Barbirolli Society CDs of two symphonies he didn't record for HMV/EMI--the Second and the Seventh, and the First with the Czech Philharmonic. They're all live performances. I have yet to listen to any, so I can't tell you how good they are.

Well damn. Now you're making this hard for me  ;D

Offline not edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #5102 on: August 06, 2022, 07:04:26 AM »
Revisiting Scherchen's Toronto recording of Mahler 7 for the first time in a few years and my memory had underestimated just how good it is.... wild, constantly pushing the music just a little bit beyond the boundaries of what ought to work, but still making sense because of the underlying vision behind. I don't think I know a recording that so clearly points up the ambiguity at the heart of the work... bombastic/meditative; optimistic/pessimistic; 19th/20th century? And the finale really borders on "there's light at the end of the tunnel... but is it the sun or is it a train?"
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #5103 on: August 06, 2022, 09:51:57 PM »
Revisiting Scherchen's Toronto recording of Mahler 7 for the first time in a few years and my memory had underestimated just how good it is.... wild, constantly pushing the music just a little bit beyond the boundaries of what ought to work, but still making sense because of the underlying vision behind. I don't think I know a recording that so clearly points up the ambiguity at the heart of the work... bombastic/meditative; optimistic/pessimistic; 19th/20th century? And the finale really borders on "there's light at the end of the tunnel... but is it the sun or is it a train?"

Don't know the performance but LOVE your description of the work and this version. 

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #5104 on: August 06, 2022, 10:01:48 PM »

Agree, a quite exceptional release. The Scherchen/Toronto Kunst der Fuge, but much more low-key of course, is also the best of his versions of that work, I think.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 10:04:17 PM by MusicTurner »