Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

A late Thank You to those that posted their pics for Das lied per my request. Much appreciated.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 18, 2016, 08:34:18 PM
What are everyone's favorite recording(s) of Rückert-Lieder? This has become a bit of a pet work of mine lately or so it seems. I was absolutely enchanted with Hampson/Bernstein the other night, but have since listened to Ludwig/HvK, Baker/Barbirolli, and Fischer-Dieskau/Bohm. My preference is for a baritone and the rich timbre of Hampson really hits me in the right spots. Bernstein's accompaniment is also assertive, but soulful and, ultimately, heart-wrenching, especially by the time we get to Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen, which needs no introduction or elaboration.
IMO, you got the best one right at the start.  H/B is for me best not only in Ruckert Lieder but also Kindertotenlieder.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 19, 2016, 12:21:35 PM
IMO, you got the best one right at the start.  H/B is for me best not only in Ruckert Lieder but also Kindertotenlieder.

Thanks for your input here, Jeffrey. Also a thank you to all who have responded to my question. I actually bought the Gerhaher/Nagano tonight after much back-and-forth. I'd like to pick-up a performance of a Ludwig performance of Ruckert-Lieder (I know she has several) and it's too bad that Magdalena Kožená's performance with Abbado isn't available on record, but I do have this particular performance on blu-ray. I was quite taken with the performance overall even though I've already specified that I preferred a baritone in Mahler's orchestral songs.

André

As for me, the warm, golden, glowing sound of a dark mezzo or contralto brings the best out of Mahler's alternately low and high tessiture in his songs. When it's a baritone I have the feeling the vocal/emotional range is narrower. I miss the contralto overtones and harmonics.

Mind you, I'm venturing far afield in a domain I know little about (singing techniques). What I say is what I understand from what I have heard and read over the years. Experts feel free to correct me !

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on October 20, 2016, 01:03:07 PM
As for me, the warm, golden, glowing sound of a dark mezzo or contralto brings the best out of Mahler's alternately low and high tessiture in his songs. When it's a baritone I have the feeling the vocal/emotional range is narrower. I miss the contralto overtones and harmonics.

Mind you, I'm venturing far afield in a domain I know little about (singing techniques). What I say is what I understand from what I have heard and read over the years. Experts feel free to correct me !

From what I've read, Mahler preferred a baritone in these songs, but it's nice to have different kinds of vocalists in these works IMHO.

Mirror Image

I can't get enough of Mahler's 3rd. I've listened to it twice in the last 24 hours (Bernstein/New York Phil. on DG and Abbado/Wiener on DG --- both outstanding performances). The movement where the soprano enters for the first time (Sehr langsam—Misterioso) is absolutely beautiful. I've heard this symphony many times and only until more recently has this music opened up for me. Like I said, I may end up being the biggest Mahlerian on GMG. ;) ;D Just kidding as I can't best the others who have lived and breathed this music for as long as I've been alive. I'm still a novice compared to these guys. Anyway, also, the last movement, Langsam—Ruhevoll—Empfunden is just magnificent --- there are no other words.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 23, 2016, 07:19:16 PM
only until more recently has this music opened up for me.
Only took over thirty-five thousand posts :P ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on October 23, 2016, 07:27:37 PM
Only took over thirty-five thousand posts :P ;D

Hah! :P Some composers click right away for some people. Mahler took me a little more time and experience. The great thing is I have nothing extramusical to add to the music to enhance or intrigue me --- the music, as it should always be, was enough this time around. :)

Mirror Image

By the way, I picked up this baby on 180g vinyl today from my local Barnes & Noble:

I've never seen a vinyl recording of Mahler before until today (there aren't any record stores around where I live and never have been). Perhaps, in time, I'll get the others.

Vaulted

Quote from: TheGSMoellerOk, I'm looking for some recs, sooooo....Best Das Lied von der Erde on record....GO!
Tennstedt. Great dark glistening Mahler sound, and the most amazing Abschied.
[asin]B00000DNRN[/asin]
Quote from: Mirror Image on October 18, 2016, 08:34:18 PMWhat are everyone's favorite recording(s) of Rückert-Lieder? This has become a bit of a pet work of mine lately or so it seems. I was absolutely enchanted with Hampson/Bernstein the other night, but have since listened to Ludwig/HvK, Baker/Barbirolli, and Fischer-Dieskau/Bohm. My preference is for a baritone and the rich timbre of Hampson really hits me in the right spots.
Hampson is great. This set sung by Siegfried Lorenz (Berlin classics) is little known but also very good.
[asin]B00000JIRT[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Vaulted on October 23, 2016, 08:07:03 PMHampson is great. This set sung by Siegfried Lorenz (Berlin classics) is little known but also very good.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep it under my radar. I have a recording of Lorenz singing Schoenberg's Die Jakobsleiter. Quite a good voice he possesses.

GioCar

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 23, 2016, 07:19:16 PM
I can't get enough of Mahler's 3rd. I've listened to it twice in the last 24 hours (Bernstein/New York Phil. on DG and Abbado/Wiener on DG --- both outstanding performances). The movement where the soprano enters for the first time (Sehr langsam—Misterioso) is absolutely beautiful. I've heard this symphony many times and only until more recently has this music opened up for me. Like I said, I may end up being the biggest Mahlerian on GMG. ;) ;D Just kidding as I can't best the others who have lived and breathed this music for as long as I've been alive. I'm still a novice compared to these guys. Anyway, also, the last movement, Langsam—Ruhevoll—Empfunden is just magnificent --- there are no other words.

I've got a couple of favorites: Horenstein/London SO and, more recently, Chailly/Concertgebouw. Have you heard them? If not, please do it, you'll thank me   :)

Vaulted

Quote from: GioCar on October 23, 2016, 09:05:58 PMI've got a couple of favorites: Horenstein/London SO and, more recently, Chailly/Concertgebouw. Have you heard them? If not, please do it, you'll thank me   :)
Dare I mention Tennstedt again?

Mahlerian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 23, 2016, 07:58:40 PM
Hah! :P Some composers click right away for some people. Mahler took me a little more time and experience. The great thing is I have nothing extramusical to add to the music to enhance or intrigue me --- the music, as it should always be, was enough this time around. :)

And Mahler would be glad to hear that you don't need any extramusical crutches.  His music was meant to stand on its own, and anything biographical or programmatical is secondary.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on October 24, 2016, 06:53:38 AM

Haha! Totally stole this cartoon strip of Peanuts for my signature. ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: GioCar on October 23, 2016, 09:05:58 PM
I've got a couple of favorites: Horenstein/London SO and, more recently, Chailly/Concertgebouw. Have you heard them? If not, please do it, you'll thank me   :)

I probably have years ago, but I'm perfectly happy with Bernstein and Abbado from my collection at the moment.

GioCar

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2016, 07:02:58 AM
I probably have years ago, but I'm perfectly happy with Bernstein and Abbado from my collection at the moment.

Huh? Ok, sorry for bothering you...

Mirror Image

Quote from: GioCar on October 24, 2016, 07:58:22 AM
Huh? Ok, sorry for bothering you...

I appreciate your recommendations, GioCar. I'm just being honest. By the way, I now recall Chailly's 3rd and actually wrote a simpleton review of it on Amazon. I recall being very impressed with it at the time. 8)

Here's my review of Chailly's 3rd (written in '09):

Riccardo Chailly's Mahler cycle is one of the best recorded and performed I've heard (and I own them all). I'm reviewing this performance of Mahler's third symphony, because I think it stands as one of the great achievements of Chailly's cycle. The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra play amazingly well here. After hearing this performance, I was fully convinced of the beauty this symphony had to offer.

Chailly is up against some very stiff competition in this symphony: Bertini, Abbado, Bernstein, Tennstedt, Salonen (one of two Mahler recordings he made, the other being "Symphony No. 4"), Haitink (his newer CSO recording is fantastic), Rattle, Horenstein, Mehta, Kubelik, and Boulez. All of these recordings offer great performances, but it is Chailly's that pulls ahead. I think there are three elements that sets this performance apart from the others: the sheer intensity, emotional content, and the pure virtuosity of the RCO.

The first movement "Kräftig - Entschieden," which lasts around 34 minutes is one of the best I've heard from any conductor or orchestra. Chailly has an unbelievable ear for the structure of this long movement. The last minute of this symphony is so intense and just downright exuberant you will think you're speakers are about to explode! The singing from Petra Lang is also first-rate.

Mahler's third isn't recorded as much as his first, second, fourth, fifth, sixth, or ninth, but I think this performance has a lot going for it. I highly recommend Chailly's entire Mahler cycle as the single releases of this cycle are quite expensive. Mahler fans who don't own Chailly's cycle, but aren't sure whether to purchase the box set yet, should try this recording first. If this performance doesn't convince you, then nothing will.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

MI what is your assessment  of Ashkanzy's Mahler 3?