Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

OTOH such march/signal motives abound in Mahler's music since the 1st symphony, so maybe it is almost coincidental. Or he really liked this one and made it prominent in the 5th.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ritter

Well, Mahler's "prophetical" qualities don't only apply to his own work. In the first movement of the Third, we fleetingly can hear a snippet from the 1920 popular song When you're smiling by Shay, Fischer and Goodwin, and in the climax of the ruhevoll, poco adagio of the Fourth, we can hear the beginning of Richard Strauss's Rosenkavalier waltz.  ??? :D

krummholz

Quote from: ritter on April 27, 2020, 11:32:52 PM
Well, Mahler's "prophetical" qualities don't only apply to his own work. In the first movement of the Third, we fleetingly can hear a snippet from the 1920 popular song When you're smiling by Shay, Fischer and Goodwin, and in the climax of the ruhevoll, poco adagio of the Fourth, we can hear the beginning of Richard Strauss's Rosenkavalier waltz.  ??? :D

Not to mention that he foretold the popular song "I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places" in the last movement of the 3rd...  ;)

Mahlerian

There's also a bit of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in the Second's Urlicht...
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mahlerian on April 28, 2020, 06:16:26 AM
There's also a bit of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in the Second's Urlicht...

I'll have to listen again and see if I can pick it out, but I love Urlicht and I've never made that connection.  :D

krummholz

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 28, 2020, 09:39:35 AM
I'll have to listen again and see if I can pick it out, but I love Urlicht and I've never made that connection.  :D

My guess: he's referring to the piccolo figure 4 bars after rehearsal mark 4...

calyptorhynchus

Ha, this could be a thread "popular tunes prefigured in the classics". My favourite: "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree" in the finale of the Emperor Concerto.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Herman

About the Amsterdam 2020 Mahler Festival, which has been cancelled due to the pandemic.

It has been announced today that the Concertgebouw wants to do a digital Mahler Festival this summer, broadcasting the symphonies via social media, and do some peripheral stuff. All performances would be by the Concertgebouw Orchestra.

I have not been able to find a program on the Concertgebouw site yet.

Keeping you posted.

André

Much appreciated, Herman !

vers la flamme

Quote from: Herman on April 30, 2020, 09:28:57 AM
About the Amsterdam 2020 Mahler Festival, which has been cancelled due to the pandemic.

It has been announced today that the Concertgebouw wants to do a digital Mahler Festival this summer, broadcasting the symphonies via social media, and do some peripheral stuff. All performances would be by the Concertgebouw Orchestra.

I have not been able to find a program on the Concertgebouw site yet.

Keeping you posted.

I'll be there... looking forward to updates.

Herman

Here's news about the online Amsterdam Mahler Festival.

Tonight, May 8th, the Mahler Festival Online starts at 20.30 Amsterdam time with streams on Facebook.com/concertgebouw and mahlerfestival.nl. That's tomorrow, for Symphony nr 1.

I'm sorry a lot of this material (on the Mahlerfestival site) is counterintuitive and in Dutch.

I believe they stream a symphony every successive night.

•Symfonie nr. 1 o.l.v. Mariss Jansons (2013)

•Symfonie nr. 2 o.l.v. Daniele Gatti (2016)

•Symfonie nr. 3 o.l.v. Mariss Jansons (2010)

•Symfonie nr. 4 o.l.v. Iván Fischer (2010)

•Symfonie nr. 5 o.l.v. Daniele Gatti (2010)

•Symfonie nr. 6 o.l.v. Lorin Maazel (2010)

•Symfonie nr. 7 o.l.v. Pierre Boulez (2011)

•Symfonie nr. 8 o.l.v. Mariss Jansons (2011)

•Symfonie nr. 9 o.l.v. Bernard Haitink (2011)

•Das Lied von der Erde o.l.v. Fabio Luisi (2011)

André

I was there for the Gatti #5, along with another GMGer ! Can it be 10 years already ?  ???

Nos 6 and 9 interest me. Thanks, Herman!

vers la flamme

Oh, these are recorded performances from years past? For some reason I was expecting live performances streamed.

Madiel

You can't put an orchestra together right now, and I doubt that streaming technology is really good enough to coordinate a large orchestra remotely and get a good outcome.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Herman

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 08, 2020, 02:14:45 AM
Oh, these are recorded performances from years past? For some reason I was expecting live performances streamed.

You know orchestras are in quarantaine now.

Herman

There are introductory talks before every symphony. Today the RCOA's leader of the double bass section talks about the solo in the First Symphony.

Herman

Re: the Amsterdam Online Mahler Festival, since the symphonies are all recycled video concerts, the extras, talks with musicians and conductors and others are the really interesting part.

Herman

André

Thanks Herman! Do you know how long the link remains available?

Herman

The latest announcement by the Concertgebouw Orchestra is they are going to have a Mahler Festival, with international orchestras in the summer of 2021. Those orchestras will be swinging by on their way from a Leipzig festival at the same time.

The program will feature Mahler symphonies 1 thru 6.

And that's the last Mahler I will be hearing. I'd like a Sibelius Festival in 2025 or so. The Concertgebouw hardly ever performs Sibelius.