Author Topic: Mahler Mania, Rebooted  (Read 596617 times)

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
Re: Mahler Mania, Rebooted
« Reply #4820 on: September 29, 2021, 05:34:07 AM »
I quite like this No.5.  Zubin Mehta/LA PHil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJhm1P5G3SM

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #4821 on: September 29, 2021, 07:50:39 AM »
It took me 20+ years and 18 misfires before finally hearing a M5 that gave me what I wanted; a performance that milked the big chorale tune/climax in the second movement as slowly as possible. Even Bernstein let me down. Neumann finally did it to my satisfaction and that somehow opened the flood gates to these marvelous recordings (the first three my top recommendations:

Dohnányi/Cleveland
Neumann/Gewandhaus
Chailly/Concertgebouw

Boulez/Vienna
Stenz/Gürzenich
Kubelik/SOBR (DG)
Inbal/Frankfurt
Solti/Chicago
Haitink/Berlin (Not a general recommendation; it's too slow, too ponderous; an interpretation almost completely devoid of charm, lightness and light. It's like the music has been swallowed by the dark side. Even the Rondo-Finale brings no relief.)

Sarge

I demand to know why I don't have that recording!!!

Big favorites of mine are Barbirolli, Haitink/Concertgebouw from his old Philips cycle, and Neumann/Czech Phil. I do have Neumann/Gewanghaus, which I should listen to the next time I try to listen to Mahler.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #4822 on: October 08, 2021, 04:19:56 AM »
I don't know whether or not anyone has posted a link to this before, but I remembered having watched a very nice documentary (along with a performance) with Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony some time back.

Hope that you enjoy it!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5DfYcT5icY

PD

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
« Reply #4823 on: October 08, 2021, 07:22:39 AM »
I don't know whether or not anyone has posted a link to this before, but I remembered having watched a very nice documentary (along with a performance) with Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony some time back.

Hope that you enjoy it!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5DfYcT5icY

PD

Living fairly close to the city for decades, I've had ample opportunities to attend SFS Mahler performances under both MTT and Herbert Blomstedt. The last concert was not long before Covid-19 began to change our lives, and by then l had reached a couple of conclusions:

1) MTT is better with mid- and later Mahler,
I'd say from Symphony no. 5 onward. ( He and the orchestra can deliver truly amazing work in the Adagio from Symphony no. 10 )

The last Mahler concert l saw before Covid-19 was Symphony no. 1, and l was thoroughly underwhelmed. The ensemble seemed uninterested and under-rehearsed, with poor balance, which raised suspicions that...

2) The orchestra has been playing too much Mahler.

We've all heard the old saw, " Familiarity breeds contempt. " I've been performing since the 1960's, and l know this happens with music and musicians if there's too  much exposure and not enough relief.

SFS might benefit greatly from a couple of Mahler-less seasons, and more time with other music. For instance, I heard them deliver an adequate Bruckner 4, and kept thinking that they might not be that far from a truly wonderful Fourth.

But then, that Adagio was truly special...

::),

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #4824 on: October 08, 2021, 07:36:50 AM »
I currently don't really have a single, favourite 5th. But it's probably time to relisten to some of them. Tennstedt/HMV has been one of the most listened to, but it's also a bit slow at times.

Now, a complete Mengelberg, not just the Adagietto - that would have been extremely interesting and probably idiosyncratic ...

• Veteran member
« Reply #4825 on: October 08, 2021, 07:41:53 AM »
Living fairly close to the city for decades, I've had ample opportunities to attend SFS Mahler performances under both MTT and Herbert Blomstedt. The last concert was not long before Covid-19 began to change our lives, and by then l had reached a couple of conclusions:

1) MTT is better with mid- and later Mahler,
I'd say from Symphony no. 5 onward. ( He and the orchestra can deliver truly amazing work in the Adagio from Symphony no. 10 )

The last Mahler concert l saw before Covid-19 was Symphony no. 1, and l was thoroughly underwhelmed. The ensemble seemed uninterested and under-rehearsed, with poor balance, which raised suspicions that...

2) The orchestra has been playing too much Mahler.

We've all heard the old saw, " Familiarity breeds contempt. " I've been performing since the 1960's, and l know this happens with music and musicians if there's too  much exposure and not enough relief.

SFS might benefit greatly from a couple of Mahler-less seasons, and more time with other music. For instance, I heard them deliver an adequate Bruckner 4, and kept thinking that they might not be that far from a truly wonderful Fourth.

But then, that Adagio was truly special...

::),

LKB
Interesting to read your comments.  Do you like all of his No. 5 and onward recordings of Mahler LKB?

PD

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #4826 on: October 08, 2021, 07:45:14 AM »
Can't get enough of the 8th in recent weeks. It's been the famous, polarizing Solti recording that's been doing it for me. What a work; what a performance.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
    something between my ears
« Reply #4827 on: October 08, 2021, 08:09:03 AM »
I was referring exclusively to the live performances I've attended.

The only MTT/Mahler recording I've ever owned is his Third with the LSO, from the 80's on CBS, back when he was their chief conductor. It was fairly well reviewed in Grammophone, and features Dame Janet Baker ( a favorite of mine ) in the fourth movement.

I would readily admit to not giving MTT a fair shake where his Mahler recordings are concerned, but this is not due to anything personal. The fact is, nobody currently conducting gets a fair shake. I've had all of Mahler's works memorized for many years, and when l do decide it's time for a fix l invariably go to a trusted favourite from decades past.

Is this foolishness on my part? Probably.

Will my knowledge of the probability alter my behavior? Probably not, since we like what we like.

:D,

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
    Sibelius, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Bach
« Reply #4828 on: October 08, 2021, 09:23:34 AM »
Can't get enough of the 8th in recent weeks. It's been the famous, polarizing Solti recording that's been doing it for me. What a work; what a performance.

Yes! For years I didn't really like the Solti but one day I was listening and it suddenly hit me how incredible it was. It's soars to the top of M8's rightfully (my personal list of course). Aces!

• Veteran member
« Reply #4829 on: October 09, 2021, 04:43:59 AM »
I was referring exclusively to the live performances I've attended.

The only MTT/Mahler recording I've ever owned is his Third with the LSO, from the 80's on CBS, back when he was their chief conductor. It was fairly well reviewed in Grammophone, and features Dame Janet Baker ( a favorite of mine ) in the fourth movement.

I would readily admit to not giving MTT a fair shake where his Mahler recordings are concerned, but this is not due to anything personal. The fact is, nobody currently conducting gets a fair shake. I've had all of Mahler's works memorized for many years, and when l do decide it's time for a fix l invariably go to a trusted favourite from decades past.

Is this foolishness on my part? Probably.

Will my knowledge of the probability alter my behavior? Probably not, since we like what we like.

:D,

LKB
That's o.k. and yes, I understood that you were referring to the performances that you had seen, but since you were a big Mahler fan, I figured that you either owned--or had at least heard--his recordings of them.  :)

And, yes, I can be stubborn too about which performances I like and connect with.  ;D

PD

Offline hvbias

« Reply #4830 on: October 10, 2021, 05:13:44 AM »
I revisited MTT/LSO 7th, it is as I remember one of the best performances of this I've ever heard. I listened to the SFS cycle once and wasn't too impressed, but just based off that LSO 7th and being a rather difficult symphony I have to give MTT credit.

With the recent discussion of the MTT/SFS purely by coincidence I ended up listening to the full cycle last week finishing with the 9th last night. I haven't changed my mind on it except the 4th was significantly better than I remembered and I'd now include as one of my top choices. Das Klagende Lied was also exceptional but I believe this recording predated the recording of the cycle?

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #4831 on: October 10, 2021, 06:06:03 AM »
With the recent discussion of the MTT/SFS purely by coincidence I ended up listening to the full cycle last week finishing with the 9th last night. I haven't changed my mind on it except the 4th was significantly better than I remembered and I'd now include as one of my top choices. Das Klagende Lied was also exceptional but I believe this recording predated the recording of the cycle?

Yes, Das Klegende Lied is this recording from RCA Victor, re-released on the symphony's label:
https://www.discogs.com/release/8967511-Mahler-Michael-Tilson-Thomas-San-Francisco-Symphony-Chorus-Das-Klagende-Lied

I also like the No. 6 from this cycle but have personal attachment to it as the recording was from Sept 13, 2001, and I was at the concert/recording.  It was a very sad affair and everyone's mind was elsewhere on the events of a few days prior.  It was hard to sit through the concert without wondering if there was significant news but briefly, the music powerfully helped take our minds off the tragedy of those days.