Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M forever

There isn't much or anything "hard to understand" in there. Faceless, conceptless, fairly well played, of course, and "nicely" recorded, in pleasant sound, a few random expressive touches and highlighting here and there, that's about it. A really completely superfluous product.

M forever

I don't have to because your tone is already insulting. Just saying "you can't understand that" twice without making any points is not good style. You have to explain why you say that. We are supposed to be nice to each other from now on. I am giving you the chance to make up for your insult. I have to run to the supermarket now and pick up some stuff. So that gives you some time to explain to me what is so drastically out of reach for me about these mediocre performances.

Dancing Divertimentian

If you had shown genuine interest I would have been happy to elaborate. But you were obviously more interested in beating down my suggestion than engaging in dialog.

Opportunity lost.

However, if you genuinely wish to continue you can still make matters right...'please' isn't so difficult a word...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

M forever

Dancing Divertimentian

Sorry, things have gotten too fishy in here.

However, if you'd care to take a peek at a couple of general remarks I made earlier on two of the symphonies, look here.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

M forever

Thanks for wasting my time. Few things are as sad as when someone makes big anouncements and then has absolutely nothing to say to back that up. I had looked forward to learning some very special things about Beethoven performance here, things that I haven't been able to see and understand before, and then this. All I have learned now is that you are easily impressed, have a fairly superficial way of hearing, don't really know what "HIP" or "HIP-influenced" means, and that you don't know much about the interpretation history of Beethoven's symphonies in general, that's why this mediocre product impresses you so much, why you think it is something unheard-before and rather special, something only the initiated and highly advanced Beethoven listener (like you) can "understand". In reality, there is nothing there which hasn't been done before and much better, by a lot of people.

So you wasted my time here. ****

Don't make such dramatic statements in the future when there is nothing behind them, OK? You just make yourself look ridiculous. *****

Dancing Divertimentian

:D

I fear you've misunderstood me. I'm certainly willing to expand on my meaning, but not on your terms.

When I said "you don't understand" I was only reiterating your favorite catch phrase. You use it liberally on this board without back up. Don't be surprised when it's used against you.

Anyway, you've yet to demonstrate you're genuinely interested in dialog. I ask you to say 'please' and then you stick a shark nose in my face! I interpret that as yet another act of hostility on your part. The 'please' meaning nothing in this context.

M forever

Anything to avoid backing up your big statements...******I guess you think just because you actually know who Beethoven was (well, "kind of", at least) makes you think you are really extremely "cultured".

When I tell people that I think they don't understand things, then I usually explain why. I have spent a lot of time on these forums doing so. And I am always willing to have detailed discussions. I have them with a number of people. You are apparently not one of those with enough substance to participate. That's OK. But then you shouldn't make such a big show out of it. ***

Que

Gentlemen, if you please! :)
There seem to be some antagonism from previous encounters.. Please do not provoke each other and keep out of each others' way. I've seen the need for removing some momentos of the skirmishes... $:)

Hopefully that is the end of it. For now. ::)

Q

Bonehelm

Quote from: Que on July 06, 2008, 09:19:31 PM
There seem to be some antagonism from previous encounters,. Please do not provoke each other and keep out of each others' way. I've seen the need for removing some momentos of the skirmishes... $:)

Q

I know you're doing your job with full responsibility, but can you maybe at least let me know you deleted my post by PM next time? That way I know what happened when my message didn't get across to another member...

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Que on July 06, 2008, 09:19:31 PM
There seem to be some antagonism from previous encounters.. Please do not provoke each other and keep out of each others' way. I've seen the need for removing some momentos of the skirmishes... $:)

Q

Dang, Q, half the thread is gone! :D That was the juiciest stuff! ;D

Que

Quote from: Bonehelm on July 06, 2008, 09:21:30 PM
I know you're doing your job with full responsibility, but can you maybe at least let me know you deleted my post by PM next time? That way I know what happened when my message didn't get across to another member...

I'lll respond via PM.

Quote from: donwyn on July 06, 2008, 09:24:39 PM
Dang, Q, half the thread is gone! :D That was the juiciest stuff! ;D

I'm so sorry, donwyn!  :) But I assure you there was nothing about Mahler..  ;D  0:)

Q

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Que on July 06, 2008, 09:27:55 PM
I'm so sorry, donwyn!  :) But I assure you there was nothing about Mahler..  ;D  0:)

;D

M forever

Quote from: Que on July 06, 2008, 09:27:55 PM
I'lll respond via PM.

Q

There wasn't anything there about Beethoven either. Even though donwyn had announced some very exclusive insights and I asked him nicely to elaborate on his rather vague statements. AND posted a cute animal pic to set a relaxed mood. Who doesn't like cute animal pics?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: M forever on July 06, 2008, 09:41:34 PM

There wasn't anything there about Beethoven either. Even though donwyn had announced some very exclusive insights and I asked him nicely to elaborate on his rather vague statements.

Oh, you had some questions about Beethoven?

M forever

I have lots of questions about Beethoven, but chances are not very good someone with your background could actually answer them.

However, you announced that you could tell me some things about these particular interpretatoins which I don't understand. Always eager to expand my horizon, I still look forward to these very special insights. Unless that was just hollow rhetorics.

Bonehelm

Quote from: M forever on July 06, 2008, 09:41:34 PM

There wasn't anything there about Beethoven either. Even though donwyn had announced some very exclusive insights and I asked him nicely to elaborate on his rather vague statements. AND posted a cute animal pic to set a relaxed mood. Who doesn't like cute animal pics?

Seeing as you like "cute animal pics" that much, here's one specifically for you, out of my pure kindness and generosity:

lukeottevanger

Saw lots of activity on this thread, which I don't usually look at, so was tempted to see what's going on. Might have guessed! Nothing to add to such august discussion, except to expand on:

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 27, 2008, 03:18:47 PM
FWIW, it should be noted that it's normal that there should be 'scarcely a pause' between IV and V: it's marked attacca, or "without pause" in plain English.

This attacca is the only way to make sense of the otherwise very odd opening of the last movement, too. The opening A of the the horn is picking up the A of the violins which ends the fourth movement. The pianissimo A in the violins which follows is literally a last vestige of the fourth movement penetrating into the fifth, before the movement proper gets underway, so that we have IV - first hint of V - last echo of IV - V. I'm sure you all knew that, but it may as well be said. Now get back to arguing...

eyeresist

Papy Oli

To be released on the 28th August (UK) for those that may be interested  :-*

Olivier