Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uffeviking

Quote from: Marc on May 13, 2007, 10:21:11 AM
AFAIK, on DVD, this is all, Haitink doing Mahler 'live' in Berlin. Both the live videos and the studio CD's were stopped by Philips before Haitink could finish his second (third, if you include the live videos) complete cycle. Can't remember why. Maybe they thought: there are already too much Mahler cycles, and maybe the sales figures were too low.
To me personally: a pity; because I was very curious about Haitink's Berliner Ninth. But it turned out to be The Ninth that never was. :'(

Thank you for that bit of sad news! There can never be enough of any Mahler recordings, whether on CD or DVD. Not that many videos available anyhow!  :'(

Steve

Quote from: uffeviking on May 13, 2007, 01:19:50 PM
Thank you for that bit of sad news! There can never be enough of any Mahler recordings, whether on CD or DVD. Not that many videos available anyhow!  :'(

I share your opinion. Personally, I would love to seem some CSO Live Mahler recordings from the old days.  ;D

MishaK

Quote from: Steve on May 13, 2007, 05:16:03 PM
I share your opinion. Personally, I would love to seem some CSO Live Mahler recordings from the old days.  ;D

Well, there is at least a Martinon Mahler 3 available on a Collector's Edition 10CD set from the Symphony Store, which I am told is fantastic. I think there may be an 8 with the same forces as well on another such Centennial Edition or something. I haven't heard either one though. Barenboim's Mahler 5 is also live, though not from the "old days", recorded live on tour in the Cologne Philharmonie in 1997 and is available both on CD and DVD. One of my top three choices for the 5th. As of a few days ago there is now the wonderful CSO live Mahler 3 CD with Haitink as well, recorded last October.

Haffner

Does anyone know of any great books on Gustav Mahler, his life and music, please?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Haffner on May 16, 2007, 06:57:08 AM
Does anyone know of any great books on Gustav Mahler, his life and music, please?

Gustav Mahler by Henry-Louis de La Grange is in a class of its own. Four volumes, 4000 pages long. The final volume and the revised first volume are still waiting the English translation.

Edit: just checked Amazon. The first two volumes can be had for a good price. The third volume is still very expensive.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Haffner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 16, 2007, 07:13:22 AM
Gustav Mahler by Henry-Louis de La Grange is in a class of its own. Four volumes, 4000 pages long. The final volume and the revised first volume are still waiting the English translation.

Sarge

His relationship with his wife and family interests me, though I'd definitely have to say that Mahler's music as a general rule is far more fascinating.

A fantastic composer, one of my favorites.

I'm interested in this release, has it already come up yet?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Haffner on May 16, 2007, 07:17:45 AM

His relationship with his wife and family interests me, though I'd definitely have to say that Mahler's music as a general rule is far more fascinating.

The book is virtually a day by day account of his life but his music is given a thorough analysis too.

A fantastic composer, one of my favorites.

I'm interested in this release, has it already come up yet?

If you mean on this thread, no I don't believe so but it has been discussed quite a bit on the old forum. I like it very much. The Scherzo is incredible, very slow as it should be, I think. For those who prefer a swift Adagietto, Barshai could be your man. For me the major disappointment is his handling of the chorale theme in the second and fifth movements. I want a conductor to really pull in the reins here, stretch it out as long as possible. Barshai rushes through it, missing much of the grandeur. Conductors I prefer on that account: Barenboim, Karajan, Barbirolli, and Neumann/Leipzig.

The Tenth is interesting as an alternative to the Cooke editions.

Sarge

karlhenning

"Reconstruction" doesn't seem quite the right word, does it?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on May 16, 2007, 07:31:43 AM
"Reconstruction" doesn't seem quite the right word, does it?

No, not at all. "Performing Edition" makes more sense.

Sarge

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 16, 2007, 07:27:48 AM
The Tenth is interesting as an alternative to the Cooke editions.

I actually prefer Barshai's version.

As to books, this is very readable:

Haffner

Quote from: O Mensch on May 16, 2007, 09:00:17 AM
I actually prefer Barshai's version.

As to books, this is very readable:

I'll probably end up getting both, though my HvK rendition is very much adored.

uffeviking

Two very usefull books for any lover of Mahler's music - bypassing the usual tabloid-style reports on his married life - :
Constantin Floros: Gustav Mahler. The Symphonies.
And Theodor W. Adorno: Mahler. A musical Physiognomy. Not easy reading, the Adorno book, but it provides lots of food for thought.

Haffner

Quote from: uffeviking on May 16, 2007, 09:09:25 AM
Two very usefull books for any lover of Mahler's music - bypassing the usual tabloid-style reports on his married life - :
Constantin Floros: Gustav Mahler. The Symphonies.
And Theodor W. Adorno: Mahler. A musical Physiognomy. Not easy reading, the Adorno book, but it provides lots of food for thought.

Thank you!

bhodges

Awhile back a friend gave me a copy of Gilbert Kaplan's The Mahler Album, which I enjoyed very much.  It is filled with illustrations and photos, and very handsomely produced.  I think it sells new for around $75 but you could probably find a copy for less.

--Bruce

BachQ

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 16, 2007, 07:13:22 AM
Four volumes, 4000 pages long.

I understand that the audio version of this is a hot seller . . . . . . .

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: D Minor on May 16, 2007, 04:01:37 PM
I understand that the audio version of this is a hot seller . . . . . . .

Yes, especially the abridged edition with a space-saving box containing only 100 cassettes.

Sarge

Haffner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 17, 2007, 03:05:17 AM
Yes, especially the abridged edition with a space-saving box containing only 100 cassettes.

Sarge

Bah! I made a lovely coffee table out of the original set of 500 (not including the little known 100 micro-cassette recorded bibliography!)

Yeah-hooooo, dude!

Bonehelm

Gustav needs a thread !!

I'm currently studying him: Collecting tons of different recordings, borrowing biographies and analysis from the library, and soon I'm going to see him live. Lets talk about this man!  ;D

1. What do you think about Mahler's symphonic language and orchestration?

2. Do you think he is one of the greatest symphonists of all time?

3. What's your favorite work by him?

4. Have you been emotionally, spiritually, or even physically overwhelmed by the power of his works?

For me...

1. Incredibly versatile, wide dynamic ranges, huge variety of colors and moods, rock solid, heart touching...mind blowing...everything.

2. Yes, up there with Beethoven and Mozart

3. Resurrection symphony for now, need to hear more

4. Yes, every time I listen to his music

Greta

I see you're falling under Mahler's spell Bonehelm! Here is the thread you're looking for, you could repost this there:

Mahler Mania, Rebooted

It would've been named Mahler Mania, but that thread turned into a debate about how complex Mahler is, and a million other things, so I renamed it The Great Everything Mahler Debate.

It's so cool to see the enthusiastic people here starting on the Mahler journey recently! I'm still but a wayfarer myself...

Haffner