Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 23, 2008, 04:30:32 AM
For illustration, a page of my copy of the Mahler-Cooke, as used long ago on the mystery scores thread:

You got this from a library, didn't you? You can buy it online for a over a hundred bucks.

lukeottevanger

No, it's my own copy. I found it in a second hand bookshop for £5, along with many other goodies that day, I recall....

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 23, 2008, 02:55:08 PM
No, it's my own copy. I found it in a second hand bookshop for £5, along with many other goodies that day, I recall....
:-X
where the heck do you go shopping, dreamland?

oh yeah, and a few years ago i found a Penderecki score at a yardsale for tree fiddy........

knight66

M, Thanks for the review of the 7th. I have been away for a few days and had five minutes to dash into an HMV shop....did so, grabbed the disc and when I got to my hotel I opened the bag to discover I had grabbed the 6th....which I already have....and the 7th remains ilusive.

I will return it via another branch soon and I will try to come home with the right one. The reviews I have read don't mention any accidents in the playing, so I guess it got tidied up.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

M forever

Quote from: knight on September 24, 2008, 11:10:18 AM
M, Thanks for the review of the 7th. I have been away for a few days and had five minutes to dash into an HMV shop....did so, grabbed the disc

Well, apparently, you haven't actually read my review.

knight66

Yes I did, (Here I would insert an emoticon that rolls its eyes), but I read other and more positive reviews and it seems like it will give me a real contrast with the two versions I have.....and it does not cost much to try it out; roughly what I spend in London on a sandwich and a drink. From having listened to the broadcast; I won't however be going near his 8th.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Guido

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on September 23, 2008, 02:59:26 PM
:-X
where the heck do you go shopping, dreamland?

oh yeah, and a few years ago i found a Penderecki score at a yardsale for tree fiddy........

I think I know the place that Luke is referring to, and in many ways it is!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

lukeottevanger

In this case, I doubt you are - it was a now-closed-down secondhand bookshop in Bury St Edmunds; the same glut of scores also contained (among other things) a few major John Adams scores, £5 each (Harmonium, Harmonielehre, Chairman Dances, Shaker Loops.....); I bought them all even though I already had some of them  ;D Can't harm to have two copies of Harmonium, can it?  0:)

But the one I believe you are referring  to - Brian Jordan's in Cambridge - is probably the scene of my greatest score buying triumphs. The complete Des Canyons aux Etoiles (all three volumes) for £20; Turangalila for £8; Takemitsu's A Flock Descends into the Pentagonal Garden for £5. And so on....

Guido

Yes Brian Jordan's is what I was referring to. A fantastic place. Haven't quite got things as good as yours yet but I did get the full score to Bliss' cello concerto for £3 (my best buy so far) and several cello/piano pieces for even less.
Geologist.

lukeottevanger

You realise that if you and I both went 'upstairs at Brian's' at the same time we would automatically become sworn enemies fighting over the same scores. Either that or some strange space-time thing would happen and the universe would implode.

I forgot - Suk's A Summer's Tale, a huge and gorgeous-looking score, £15. That one made me very happy. Oh, and at the Bury shop where I got the Mahler 10 and all the Adams, Elgar's Gerontius in the big critical edition that sells for about £100. For £5.  8) 8) 8)

Guido

QuoteYou realise that if you and I both went 'upstairs at Brian's' at the same time we would automatically become sworn enemies fighting over the same scores. Either that or some strange space-time thing would happen and the universe would implode.

Fact.

I forgot - Suk's A Summer's Tale, a huge and gorgeous-looking score, £15. That one made me very happy. Oh, and at the Bury shop where I got the Mahler 10 and all the Adams, Elgar's Gerontius in the big critical edition that sells for about £100. For £5.

That's a truly astonishing find!
Geologist.

greg

You know what, screw you guys.

lukeottevanger

Greg, didn't the mystery score thread give you a faintest clue that I'm a bit of a score addict?  ;D

karlhenning

greg

I'm so jealous, I might have to devise a plan to break into Luke's house and steal all of his scores.......

pst, pst, Karl, you got any ideas?

lukeottevanger

An easier option would be to wait until every page of my scores has appeared on the mystery scores thread. May take quite a while, however.

imperfection

lukeottevanger, is your avatar in any way related to East Asian philosophy? I think I've seen that symbol somewhere, and it's got something to do with .

Joe_Campbell

lol...I look forward to his answer! ;D

lukeottevanger

In some ways, and very consciously, yes. And in other ways, no. See my composer's thread from this page and on for a couple more...  ;D

imperfection

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 26, 2008, 12:32:36 AM
In some ways, and very consciously, yes. And in other ways, no. See my composer's thread from this page and on for a couple more...  ;D

Interesting, the dialogue between Emperor Wu and the Chan/Zen teacher is especially so. Thanks.  ;)