Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on November 01, 2009, 06:06:59 AM
None of Levine's US efforts, save the 4th, are in print. (Neither is Salonen, but it was when I wrote that...)

Being in print, was that a self-imposed restriction or one WETA asked for?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 01, 2009, 06:13:36 AM

Being in print, was that a self-imposed restriction or one WETA asked for?

Sarge

Self-imposed. But "in print" becomes an ever more fuzzy concept, especially with ArkivCDs available. In the case of the M8 (Ozawa, Boston -- the only American 'intrusion' into the "Choice Cycle") I'm even actively ignoring it because the performance is simply too good not to be heard. (But in this case it's actually cheaper to get it shipped from Japan on one CD than from Arkiv in the old, two-CD(R) version.)

Wendell_E

Quote from: jlaurson on November 01, 2009, 04:32:04 AM
Mahler Month is upon us!

http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=966

QuoteMichael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Orchestra are represented with the next two symphonies (including Helen Hunt-Lieberson in the Second Symphony)

Helen Hunt-Lieberson?   :(  It's Lorraine (and no hyphen).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

jlaurson

Quote from: Wendell_E on November 01, 2009, 09:09:23 AM
Helen Hunt-Lieberson?   :(  It's Lorraine (and no hyphen).

Obviously my mind was elsewhere... Mea culpa.  ;D

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on November 01, 2009, 06:08:54 AM
They are part of the typical type (=font)-ornamentation of the time... decorative elements. There will be a different font from Mahler's time (and slightly later) heading each subsequent Mahler post... part of the attempt to get a bit a bit beyond just the text and the recordings.

Nice touch. Looking forward to the rest of Mahler Month. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: opus106 on November 01, 2009, 09:34:24 AMLooking forward to the rest of Mahler Month. :)

Me too. Especially looking forward to finding out Jens' choices. It give us an opporunity for smug smiles and congratulations (if his choices mirror our own) or hair pulling and curses if the choices go agin us  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

jlaurson

Week 1, American Cycle
(small changes made: 3rd now with Salonen, DLvdE now with MTT)

Tuesday, November 3
Symphony #3 (Los Angeles Philharmonic/Esa-Pekka Salonen)

Wednesday, November 4
Symphony #1 (Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Bernard Haitink)

Thursday, November 5
Symphony #4 (Los Angeles Philharmonic/Esa-Pekka Salonen)

Symphony #5 (Vienna Philharmonic/Leonard Bernstein)

Friday, November 6
Symphony #10 (Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra/Jesús López-Cobos)

Saturday, November 7
Symphony #6 (Philadelphia Orchestra/Christoph Eschenbach)
Das Lied von der Erde (San Francisco Symphony/Michael Tilson Thomas)
Symphony #8 (Vienna Philharmonic/Leonard Bernstein)

Sunday, November 8
Symphony #2 (San Francisco Symphony/Michael Tilson Thomas)
Symphony #7 (Cleveland Orchestra/Pierre Boulez)
Symphony #9 (San Francisco Symphony/Michael Tilson Thomas)

Papy Oli

Gilbert Kaplan is missing for the Second...  >:D

*pulls hair* ;D

Olivier

jlaurson

Quote from: papy on November 02, 2009, 12:32:23 PM
Gilbert Kaplan is missing for the Second...  >:D

*pulls hair* ;D

Very droll.  ;D

P.S. Kaplan has made two fine recordings. They have their merits... the earlier one more so than the latter, perhaps... but there is nothing in them that at least one real conductor hasn't done better. Kaplan will, in any case, get some mention in my piece on the 2nd.

Papy Oli

<----- Not in a kidding mood...Kaplan's missing....

;D
Olivier

jlaurson

jlaurson

Today, 4:06 pm EST -- a little teaser:
Gustav Mahler
Symphony #3 in D Minor, 2nd movement
San Francisco Symphony | Michael Tilson Thomas

Then, 9:00 pm, the whole thing:
Gustav Mahler
Symphony #3 in D Minor
Los Angeles Philharmonic | Esa-Pekka Salonen (conductor) | Anna Larsson (alto) | Women of The Los Angeles Master Chorale | The Paulist Boy Choristers of California

Listen live: http://www.weta.org/fm/listenlive

Playlist: http://www.weta.org/fm/playlists/classicalweta

Ramblings on Mahler: http://www.weta.org/fmblog/

Opus106

Will there be a re-broadcast at a more reasonable time for us non-Americans? :) ;) Unless I'm utterly depressed, I don't think I would be in a mood to listen to Mahler at half-past-seven in the morning. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: opus106 on November 03, 2009, 09:32:14 AM
Will there be a re-broadcast at a more reasonable time for us non-Americans? :) ;) Unless I'm utterly depressed, I don't think I would be in a mood to listen to Mahler at half-past-seven in the morning. ;D

Nor I. Wait until a better hour, plop in a CD, and think about WETA, instead.  ;D

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on November 03, 2009, 09:46:51 AM
Nor I. Wait until a better hour, plop in a CD, and think about WETA, instead.  ;D

Oh, that sounds better. Screw the whole interpretation thing and the reviewer's selections. :D
Regards,
Navneeth

Brahmsian

Quote from: jlaurson on November 02, 2009, 12:06:17 PM
Friday, November 6
Symphony #10 (Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra/Jesús López-Cobos)

Unfortunately, I can't access the WETA site through work.  Just wondering....for the completed 10th, any consideration for Daniel Harding and the Vienna Phil.?

jlaurson

Quote from: Brahmsian on November 03, 2009, 09:53:43 AM
Unfortunately, I can't access the WETA site through work.  Just wondering....for the completed 10th, any consideration for Daniel Harding and the Vienna Phil.?
Indeed. For lack of access to a version I prefer (Barshai, as you will find out), it was Harding that was chosen for the 10th in the "Choice Cycle".

jlaurson

Now up:

Gustav Mahler – Symphony No.1 (Part 1)

Also:

Today in Mahler:

Today, 100 years ago, Gustav Mahler conducted his first concert as Music Director of the New York Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall. On the program were Beethoven's Consecration of the House Overture and Eroica Symphony, Liszt's Symphonic Poem No.6, and Richard Strauss' Till Eulenspiegel.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: jlaurson on November 04, 2009, 02:02:13 AM
Now up:

Also:

Today in Mahler:

Today, 100 years ago, Gustav Mahler conducted his first concert as Music Director of the New York Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall. On the program were Beethoven's Consecration of the House Overture and Eroica Symphony, Liszt's Symphonic Poem No.6, and Richard Strauss' Till Eulenspiegel.

Jens, I'm mightily impressed by your recordings assessment. Kudos ! Of course it helps that your reviews go along the lines of my own tastes ;D . I'll try to get the Kubelik Audite disc. I think it would fit in with my current views on the symphony. I prefer the 'nature-drenched', eyes wide open and openness to sentiment that I hear in Kubelik DG, Colin Davis BRSO (Novalis) and Walter Sony versions (I always go gaga over that one). Maybe the Haitink CSO would do me some good, too. I haven't heard his Amsterdam recordings in decades, but if memory serves, the early seventies one is as cool as water from a mountain brook.

jlaurson

http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=1037

Gustav Mahler – Symphony No.1 (Part 2)

The font used in the title is "Arnold Boecklin Regular"

The "American Mahler Cycle" continues today with the Scherzo from the Fifth Symphony as a teaser at 9:06am and then with the whole symphony played at 9PM. For more and daily details check out the online playlist.

http://www.weta.org/fm/playlists/classicalweta