Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papageno

Das Lied von der Erder - Otto Klemperer

Bonehelm

Quote from: Papageno on June 16, 2007, 03:06:28 PM
Das Lied von der Erder - Otto Klemperer

??? pretty off topic but ok, thanks for the suggestion.

MishaK

Another vote for the Chailly.

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 16, 2007, 02:10:14 PM
I heard Boulez conduct it live in Berlin a few months ago. His recording is definitely on my wishlist.

You can get a recording of the live broadcast off operashare.

Papageno

Quote from: Bonehelm on June 16, 2007, 03:57:38 PM
??? pretty off topic but ok, thanks for the suggestion.

Ah, an 8th, I just noticed.

Drasko

Philoctetes

The Boulez Mahler 8th is getting released?!

That is freaking sweet.

Soon they might box them all together. That would be nice.
:)

Bunny

Quote from: stingo on June 16, 2007, 02:54:15 PM
As much as I respect Bruce's and Sarge's opinions on matters musical, I just cannot get into Chailly's M8. As I've beaten a dead horse before, it sounds like a chamber version of the 8th symphony to me. I will have to give it another try to hear what the others were hearing. That said, I think Tennstedt's is a more profound reading, Solti's more ecstatic and Rattle's somewhere in between. I could easily listen to any of the three, but if forced to choose, I'd pick the Rattle but only by the smallest of margins.

Chailly's Mahler 8th is excellent, but if someone wants an OTT version that's characterized by:
Quote from: Bonehelm on June 16, 2007, 12:32:24 PM

1. Earth-shattering power  8)
2. Intense, overwhelming endings in both movements
3. Strong organ sound
4. Clear, crisp details
5. Efficient use of rubato, with lots of emotion

then they aren't going to be satisfied with the Chailly, or even the Nagano.  Solti fits the bill for this set of attributes, although details might not be as clear as they would be with other recordings.  But, 4 out of 5 ain't bad.

uffeviking

High time to call Mahler back into our memory and one of the current best interpreters of him is no doubt Piere Boulez.

I enjoyed the afternoon watching a new DVD available from EuroArts with Boulez conducting Mahler Symphony No. 2 with the Staatskapelle Berlin and Diana Damrau, soprano and Petra Lang, mezzo-soprano the soloists. It was on the occasion of the maestro's 80th birthday and all involved contributed their very best to the celebration.

If you want to see this huge assembly of musicians and singers following their outstanding conductor in a powerful performance, you will be rewarded when buying this DVD.

PSmith08

What about Klaus Tennstedt's 1986 (LPO) recording? I find him a little less driven (manic, even) than Solti, but incredibly precise. There is also, in the same vein, Rafael Kubelik's 1970 (BRSO) record. Neither of them are as brash and flashy as Solti, but they are no less powerful in their own way. I'd say Tennstedt flirts with ecstasy, if you follow my meaning, more than either Kubelik or Solti. He has more of a chamber-like orchestral texture, but this isn't Wagner we're talking about here. Ultimately, I'd say that Tennstedt's has the power and the glory the OP seems to want, and a somewhat more analytical and cooler view than Solti.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on June 16, 2007, 03:58:58 PM
You can get a recording of the live broadcast off operashare.

Already have it, O. Grabbed it when you first pointed it out. Thanks again.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Raisa

I can recommend this DVD. Just released:

Claudio Abbado conducting the Lucerne Festival Orchestra last year in Mahler's 6th. This was a huge experience!

Lilas Pastia

Another 8th I highly value is the Davis BRSO (RCA). Recording is very natural, not the hothouse variety (Solti). Excellent soloists and a truly orgasmic conclusion.

Papy Oli

Hi All,

I have been thinking of expanding my Mahler CDs with going more onto individual versions. I only have the Bertini cycle, good enough for all i know, with a couple of individual performances (in bold below). For my exercise, I have been going through soem of the information from this site and others (Tony Duggan, Classics today, Amazon reviews,..), books like All Music Guide, etc. I appreciate that opinions will of course vary on such and such recording and no recording is definitive in itself, but i aim at building myself a cycle with ideally as many conductors as possible, to sample the various approaches, but still sticking to recordings considered "essential" in each symphony/piece.   

I mostly listen to M2/M1/M5/M6 and i hope i can benefit of other versions for the remaining pieces, as the Bertini's doesn't really grab me so far for those latter.

again, in bold are the ones i already own, in italic, the ones i am considering already.... Does that seem to you like a good starting list please ?

Thanks

Olivier

-----------------

Mahler 1st symphony

Kubelik/DG/Bavaria orch
Solti/LSO/Decca (coupled with M2)
Zinman / Tonhalle
Maazel / VPO

Mahler 2nd symphony   

Solti/LSO/Decca (coupled with M1)
Klemperer / EMI / GROTC

Mahler 3rd symphony   

Horenstein/LSO/Unicorn
Bernstein/Sony/NYPO

Mahler 4th symphony   

Szell/Sony/Cleveland
Reiner/Chicago/SO

Mahler 5th symphony   

Tennstedt/EMI
Inoue/RPO
Barbirolli/Philarmonia/EMI
Bernstein/VPO/DG

Mahler 6th symphony (not sure on those...)   

Abbado / DG / BPO
Szell
Barbirolli
Boulez
Eiji Oue / Fontec
Mitropoulos

Mahler 7th symphony   

Horenstein / New Philarmonia
Rattle/CBSO/EMI
Bernstein/Sony
Halasz/Naxos

Mahler 8th symphony   

Solti / Chicago SO / Decca
Segerstam / Chandos

Mahler 9th symphony   

Ancerl/Supraphone
Karajan/DG/Live
Klemperer / EMI

Mahler 10th symphony   

Rattle/Bornemouth/EMI

Mahler - Lied von Der Erde   

Bertini/EMI
Horenstein/BBC

Mahler - Kindertotenlieder   

Walter/Ferrier/VPO/Naxos

Edit : for alignments and clarity  0:)
Olivier

Haffner

Quote from: papy on June 18, 2007, 01:22:05 PM
Hi All,

I have been thinking of expanding my Mahler CDs with going more onto individual versions. I only have the Bertini cycle, good enough for all i know, with a couple of individual performances (in bold below). For my exercise, I have been going through soem of the information from this site and others (Tony Duggan, Classics today, Amazon reviews,..), books like All Music Guide, etc. I appreciate that opinions will of course vary on such and such recording and no recording is definitive in itself, but i aim at building myself a cycle with ideally as many conductors as possible, to sample the various approaches, but still sticking to recordings considered "essential" in each symphony/piece.   

Do check out the Karajan 6th, you won't regret it.

MishaK

Mahler 1st symphony

Kubelik/DG/Bavaria orch
Solti/LSO/Decca (coupled with M2)
Zinman / Tonhalle
Maazel / VPO

The Solti is certainly pleasant but not in the best sound. Kubelik has not been surpassed here. That's easily the first choice.

Mahler 2nd symphony   

Solti/LSO/Decca (coupled with M1)
Klemperer / EMI / GROTC

May I recommend instead Haitink/Concertgebouw or Chailly/Concertgebouw? More color than Solti, less thick and square than Klemp.

Mahler 3rd symphony   

Horenstein/LSO/Unicorn
Bernstein/Sony/NYPO

Not familiar with eitehr of those, but I would again get either Haitink/CSO or Chailly/Concertgebouw. Glorious sound and glorious playing.

Mahler 4th symphony   

Szell/Sony/Cleveland
Reiner/Chicago/SO

Reiner is very good. But I would get Kletzki/VPO who really has an unsurpassed grasp of the subtle irony of this work.

Mahler 5th symphony   

Tennstedt/EMI
Inoue/RPO
Barbirolli/Philarmonia/EMI
Bernstein/VPO/DG

Chailly/Concertgebouw, Kubelik/BRSO to me are much more convincing than Bernstein or Barbirolli here. Haven't heard the others.

Mahler 6th symphony (not sure on those...)   

Abbado / DG / BPO
Szell
Barbirolli
Boulez
Eiji Oue / Fontec
Mitropoulos

I haven't heard any of those. Here I would get Solti/CSO or Tilson Thomas/SFSO. I am also told the new Eschenbach/Philly is outstanding, but haven't heard it yet. There is also an outstanding, but hard to find, Rattle/BPO live recording from the 80s (though he switches the middle movements around).

Mahler 7th symphony   

Horenstein / New Philarmonia
Rattle/CBSO/EMI
Bernstein/Sony
Halasz/Naxos

Forget those and get Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin. Rich, warm, yet transparent, pulsing, alive and always compelling.

Mahler 8th symphony   

Solti / Chicago SO / Decca
Segerstam / Chandos

Solti is certainly a classic, but the more recent Chailly/Concertgebouw comes in far better sound and with a warmer orchestral palette. Don't know Segerstam, but have been less than impressed with the sound engineering on the few chandos discs I have.

Mahler 9th symphony   

Ancerl/Supraphone
Karajan/DG/Live
Klemperer / EMI

All good choices. I would only add Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin. Same comments apply as for his 7th.

Mahler 10th symphony   

Rattle/Bornemouth/EMI

Right conductor and label, wrong orchestra. Get the same with the BPO instead. Much finer performance.

Lilas Pastia

A great first of unusual provenance is on the swiss label Novalis with Colin Davis and the BRSO. As good as Kubelik's, but rather more expansive and in spectacular yet very natural sound.

The Horenstein New Philharmonia 7th must be a figment of your imagination. Maybe you meant Klemperer?

For 5 and 10 (complete 5 movements), give a try to the cheap Barshai set. An instant classic.

O Mensch is right, you can do much worse than going for Haitink - Amsterdam, at least for symphonies 2, 3, 5, 7 and 9. Many think his 3 and 9 are top choices. Many don't but that's their problem ;D.

PSmith08

One could do much worse than O Mensch's recommendations; however, I just can't help myself, so I'll throw in my 0.02$.

1. Kubelik (DGG, 1968): Still the reference. I like Ormandy's 1970 RCA record, but he doesn't really have the same way as Kubelik, and adds "Blumine." Not cool, IMO.

2. Mehta (Decca, 1975): Probably the recording that balances the apocalyptic and redemptive, the life and death best. Mehta really lit a fire for the WP on this one.

3. Haitink (Philips, 1966): This might be my reference M3. In any event, Haitink guides the Concertgebouw through a really first-rate performance.

4. Abbado (DGG, 2006): Abbado's "chamber-Mahler" doesn't work in every case, but in Mahler's most "Classical" effort, it pays off. You get La Renée, which isn't the ideal singer, in the fourth movement. If you want a great soprano, at least one who sounds the part, Reiner - Della Casa is a good combination. This is one for Abbado's unique approach to Mahler.

5. Von Karajan (DGG, 1973): For whatever reason, Von Karajan never established himself as a Mahlerian as publicly as other conductors did, and many of them really didn't have his talent. His 5th is slick, elegant, and has some horsepower under the hood when necessary.

6. Boulez (DGG, 1995): A thunderous, earth-shattering performance. Boulez' Mahler really should be experienced live, and this disc is as close of a recording as I have found. Overwhelming, inevitable, and powerful. You'll want to get Mitropoulos' 1959 WDRSO (Köln) performance, which is sui generis, but Boulez' is as good as anything you'd want.

7. Barenboim (Warner, 2006): Boulez' M7 was my favorite for a long time, until Barenboim took the field and won the game. It's powerful, intelligent, and I'll just agree with O Mensch.

8. Tennstedt (EMI, 1986): Another intelligent and well-thought-out performance from a Mahler conductor with his own ideas and the skill to realize them. Not as manic and brash as Solti, but with a spirituality and power all its own. Kubelik is one in this vein. If you want a rich, almost-Wagnerian, performance, Kent Nagano is the man for you.

9. Klemperer (EMI, 1967): Unflinching, granitic, and monolithic. Klemperer is Klemperer, and Mahler's symphony - IMO - benefits from such a dry-eyed approach. No sense making it a sob-fest. Bruno Maderna's 1971 BBCSO performance is interesting and no less powerful, but talk about manic.

These are just my suggestions. O Mensch makes good ones, too, and your choices weren't bad either.

Sergeant Rock

again, in bold are the ones i already own, in italic, the ones i am considering already.... Does that seem to you like a good starting list please ?

Looks good to me. I own most of them (not the Inoue 5, Mitropoulos 6, Horenstein 7 or Segerstam 8 ) and some are among my favorite versions. The only ones on your list I would not recommend: the Rattle 10 (his Berlin version is better but I still prefer Barshai, Gielen, Sanderling and above all, Ormandy) and the Naxos 7. Better to go with one of the great performances in this problematic (to some) symphony: Barenboim, Abbado (Chicago), Chailly or Bernstein (Sony or DG). My own favorite Seventh I don't recommend to anyone; it's just too weird ;D

I can't fault O or PSmith's recommendations. I particularly agree with O's choice of Solti for the 6th and Smith's Klemperer 9. Both recommended Barenboim in 7. So do I.

I'd add:

Maazel with Battle 4 (slowest last movement I've ever heard and it works beautifully)

Ozawa 1 (I love the Blumine; I think it fits perfectly between the first movement and the second. The five movement scheme seems very Mahlerian to me)

Kaplan 2 (either performance but I lean towards Vienna; arguably Kaplan knows this symphony better than anyone)

Haitink or Kubelik with Baker Das Lied von der Erde (Janet Baker...remember that name  8) )

Barbirolli with Baker Kindertotenlieder, Rückertlieder

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

not edward

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 19, 2007, 05:40:20 AM
My own favorite Seventh I don't recommend to anyone; it's just too weird ;D
I'm probably going to get the Klemperer some time soon, actually. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music