Dvorak Tone Poems

Started by AB68, May 02, 2007, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AB68

Can anyone recommend a great recording of Dvorak's tone poems?

val

I prefer the versions of Istvan Kertesz with the LSO, including The Noonday Witch, The Golden Spinning Wheel, the Water Goblin and other works for orchestra.

The versions of Rafael Kubelik are good, perhaps not as dynamic and colorful as Kertesz but with a remarkable lyricism and beautiful phrasing. I think it is a matter of personal taste, according to how we see these wonderful masterpieces.

Rabin_Fan

I'm just listening to the Golden Spinning Wheel, BRSO, Kubelik - which sounds fine to me. I do not have a Kertesz version to compare with.

Harry

Gurn Blanston

In the end, there can be only one: Czech PO / Chalabala. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Harry

After rehearing today some of the Tone poems, under the baton of Kubelik, I like to add, that I was absolutely flabbergasted, what magic is ouzing out of these performances.
Good sound too.
Have some things from Ancerl on Supraphon, but are unable to find them. Must have filed them in the wrong place. :P
Also some old recordings from Neumann & Dorati, and they are with good reason in my collection.

Hector

Kertesz sounds bland after Kubelik.

Steve

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2007, 04:03:23 AM
In the end, there can be only one: Czech PO / Chalabala. :)

8)

Agreed, Gurn, that is the standard. Never felt the need to listen to another.  :D

Bunny

Although I love Kubelik, I also love Nikolaus Harnoncourt's recordings of the symphonic poems.  They are coupled with his recordings of the symphonies and the piano concertos (which is my favorite recording of those) as well as in a 2 cd set by themselves.  The sound quality on the later recordings is also quite a bit better than the Kubelik, but still, Kubelik was, imho, one of the greatest Dvorak interpreters.  You can't really go wrong with either of the sets.

SimonGodders

Kubelik is excellent and can be obtained rather inexpensively in this box set:

I also dig Harnoncourt and better quality recordings.

Harry

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Kubelik recordings, and wether you find the Harnoncourt better than the Kubelik is a matter of taste, not of recording quality.
Kubelik recordings sound amazing.

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 07:49:24 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Kubelik recordings, and wether you find the Harnoncourt better than the Kubelik is a matter of taste, not of recording quality.

This GMG member thanks you for not posting about Mahler.  ;D

PerfectWagnerite

In addtion to Kubelik I have this one:

which is nothing similar to the Kubelik. Jarvi is more deliberate and lets the music unfold more. Kubelik is more wild and anticipates the excitement to come more. Depends on what you like.

Harry

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 03, 2007, 07:59:16 AM
In addtion to Kubelik I have this one:

which is nothing similar to the Kubelik. Jarvi is more deliberate and lets the music unfold more. Kubelik is more wild and anticipates the excitement to come more. Depends on what you like.

Don't forget the slower tempi Jarvi adopts.

Harry

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 03, 2007, 07:50:55 AM
This GMG member thanks you for not posting about Mahler.  ;D

Why, are you suggesting the DGG recordings are also bad? ;D :o

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 08:04:30 AM
Why, are you suggesting the DGG recordings are also bad? ;D :o

No, just happy it wasn't about Mahler.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 08:03:32 AM
Don't forget the slower tempi Jarvi adopts.

That was what I meant by "deliberate". But also their approach is different. If you just listen to the opening few minutes of the Noon Witch, the little clarinet run in Kubelik sends shivers down your spine. The textures and colors stand out more. Jarvi gives you a good bet if you already have Kubelik but alone does not make you believe that these are gems.

Harry

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 03, 2007, 08:10:42 AM
That was what I meant by "deliberate". But also their approach is different. If you just listen to the opening few minutes of the Noon Witch, the little clarinet run in Kubelik sends shivers down your spine. The textures and colors stand out more. Jarvi gives you a good bet if you already have Kubelik but alone does not make you believe that these are gems.

Deliberate=slow? Well oke.
That is the reason why I sold this set.
And I assure you, that does not happen often.
After Kubelik I though, is nothing IMO.
The symphonies I found to be a drag too.
And the sound as thick as mud.

SimonGodders

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 07:49:24 AM

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the Kubelik recordings, indeed I like them a lot. The point remains however, that the Harnoncourt is exceptionally well recorded and worth mentioning if this is important to the original poster in deciding what to purchase.

Cool your boots man

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 08:15:48 AM
Deliberate=slow? Well oke.
That is the reason why I sold this set.
And I assure you, that does not happen often.
After Kubelik I though, is nothing IMO.
The symphonies I found to be a drag too.
And the sound as thick as mud.

Deliberate: Unhurried in action, movement, or manner See Synonyms at slow.
[third definition in dictionary.yahoo.com].
(actually it is used in baseball quite often, like a pitcher is deliberate in delivering the ball...but we've digressed)

What do you think of the Rattle/BPO set that got rave reviews from some circles?