Which Furtwangler recording am I listening to?

Started by Bonehelm, May 17, 2008, 11:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonehelm

I'm listening to an unknown Furty Brahms 1st, the timpani is VERY close-microphoned and boomy, and covers a lot of stuff going on, especially in the finale's coda where it plays a rocking rhythm and setting up the major brass chorale right before the end of the piece. The timing of the symphony itself is 47:50, including the overture after it is 56:50. They are on one disc. The folder of this CD says it is Disc 6, so I'm guessing this is a part of boxset or something? The general recorded sound is typical 40's or 50's mono sound, dry, with not much detail, recessed brass and screechy strings. Which version, transfer and orchestra am I hearing?

This was sent to me by a friend, BTW, if you're wondering. Thanks.

Que

There are no less than eleven recordings of Furtwängler conducting Brahms' 1st. So your friend was very careless not to keep track of the details of the performance.
Given the fact that is CD 6 from a set, it might be from the DG set (nr. 8 in the list). Maybe a member with that set can compare the timings (of the individual mvts) for you.

Q

Novi

Quote from: Que on May 18, 2008, 09:45:50 PM
There are no less than eleven recordings of Furtwängler conducting Brahms' 1st. So your friend was very careless not to keep track of the details of the performance.
Given the fact that is CD 6 from a set, it might be from the DG set (nr. 8 in the list). Maybe a member with that set can compare the timings (of the individual mvts) for you.

Q

Auferstehung, I have the performance Que indicates, but in the 6 cd Anniversary set. Here, it's on Disk 5, along with Metamorphosen.

Timings are:
47'55 (14'43 10'41 5'23 17'08)

(Berlin, Titania-Palast, 10 Feb 1952)

Hope that helps.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Bonehelm

Quote from: Novi on May 19, 2008, 04:14:22 AM
Auferstehung, I have the performance Que indicates, but in the 6 cd Anniversary set. Here, it's on Disk 5, along with Metamorphosen.

Timings are:
47'55 (14'43 10'41 5'23 17'08)

(Berlin, Titania-Palast, 10 Feb 1952)

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Novi.  :D

not edward

Is there anyone out here who's heard all the Furt Brahms 1sts yet?

Of the ones I've heard, I like the 1951 Hamburg recording with the NDRSO best.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Que

Quote from: edward on May 19, 2008, 01:35:53 PM
Is there anyone out here who's heard all the Furt Brahms 1sts yet?

Of the ones I've heard, I like the 1951 Hamburg recording with the NDRSO best.

Me too.

Q