Author Topic: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)  (Read 138626 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the water...
Re: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)
« Reply #1180 on: October 31, 2019, 05:57:40 AM »
I've ordered the Brilliant Classics box.

Very nice. I bought the individual releases (many years ago), because I loved the Martinů doodles on each of the album covers.
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #1181 on: November 02, 2019, 10:44:12 AM »
The symphonies arrived this morning. Listened to a few of them already (am in the middle of No. 2 as I write), and they're very enjoyable. Hard to have a full grip on them just after one hearing, but the sound world is lovely. The beginning of No. 1, the B minor chord, transitioning through a rising pattern on woodwinds and all to a B major, is magical.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1182 on: November 02, 2019, 06:34:11 PM »
The symphonies arrived this morning. Listened to a few of them already (am in the middle of No. 2 as I write), and they're very enjoyable. Hard to have a full grip on them just after one hearing, but the sound world is lovely. The beginning of No. 1, the B minor chord, transitioning through a rising pattern on woodwinds and all to a B major, is magical.

Great stuff! Will be curious to know your thoughts as you progress through the cycle.

Offline jidlomonster

« Reply #1183 on: November 05, 2019, 06:45:47 AM »
Speaking of ballets, it’d be nice if Supraphon would issue this recording on CD:

If everyone keeps fingers crossed, we might not have to depend on Supraphon.  Toccata Classics' series of Early Martinu Orchestral Works has always had the intention of recording the complete ballet.  At the moment, there are no recording sessions scheduled, but the publisher Schott last year acquired all of the performing materials.  If the parts are adequate, then only funding and logistics stand in the way.  They can prove to be mighty obstacles, so I ask for patience and will keep you informed if the plans advance any further.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1184 on: November 05, 2019, 07:15:39 AM »
If everyone keeps fingers crossed, we might not have to depend on Supraphon.  Toccata Classics' series of Early Martinu Orchestral Works has always had the intention of recording the complete ballet.  At the moment, there are no recording sessions scheduled, but the publisher Schott last year acquired all of the performing materials.  If the parts are adequate, then only funding and logistics stand in the way.  They can prove to be mighty obstacles, so I ask for patience and will keep you informed if the plans advance any further.

Great to read, Michael! Thanks for the information. 8)

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #1185 on: November 12, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »
Here's a fine live version of Martinů's Double Concerto with the Radom Chamber Orchestra and Beethoven Academy Orchestra, conducted by Maciej Zoltowski in 2012. The young players are outstanding, and Zoltowski is new to me as well.

https://youtu.be/4BLJxJG1kQo

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Symphonic Addict

« Reply #1186 on: December 22, 2019, 01:42:05 PM »

Yet another occasion when I say: Why did I wait so long to hear this music? Or in this case, why did I wait so long to hear the whole program of this super magnificent disc?? Better late than never, I was glad it was so!  ;D

When I hear this I realize and confirm that Martinu was an innate composer, one of the highest musical skills. The disc presents 3 early works in a late-Romantic/Impressionistic style (which also implies top-notch orchestration) with some apparent traces of Respighi that simply leave a quite strong impression. These pieces are full of poetry, atmosphere, suspense, striking effects. The Sinfonia Varsovia play them impeccably. There is no waste at all. Ravishing music.

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #1187 on: December 22, 2019, 05:26:47 PM »

Yet another occasion when I say: Why did I wait so long to hear this music? Or in this case, why did I wait so long to hear the whole program of this super magnificent disc?? Better late than never, I was glad it was so!  ;D

When I hear this I realize and confirm that Martinu was an innate composer, one of the highest musical skills. The disc presents 3 early works in a late-Romantic/Impressionistic style (which also implies top-notch orchestration) with some apparent traces of Respighi that simply leave a quite strong impression. These pieces are full of poetry, atmosphere, suspense, striking effects. The Sinfonia Varsovia play them impeccably. There is no waste at all. Ravishing music.

This is an excellent release!  I fully agree with you.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #1188 on: December 23, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »
This is an excellent release!  I fully agree with you.

+1 Vanishing Midnight is a strikingly atmospheric work with a suitably shadowy and threatening - even scary - third movement.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #1189 on: April 01, 2020, 06:49:00 AM »
A rare performance of Intermezzo (1950) by conductor Christopher Russell and the Orange County School of the Arts Symphony Orchestra, recorded in 2015.

https://youtu.be/zLzMdZA3ETE

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #1190 on: April 01, 2020, 07:03:28 AM »
A rare performance of Intermezzo (1950) by conductor Christopher Russell and the Orange County School of the Arts Symphony Orchestra, recorded in 2015.

https://youtu.be/zLzMdZA3ETE

--Bruce
Oh, nice. I think the only recording I know of this is the Louisville Symphony one, which is definitely showing its age.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music