Schulhoff's Shuffle (1894–1942)

Started by Rinaldo, November 03, 2015, 06:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

That was fun :) ... and it develops into Jingle Bells ...  :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Rinaldo on February 09, 2021, 01:26:38 AM
Thanks for keeping the Schulhoff flame alive, John!

Getting back on the Erwin train, what a wonderful, full-blooded performance of the 1st SQ:

https://www.youtube.com/v/1ifemktTa3o

I'm certainly trying keep the fire from extinguishing. ;)

Symphonic Addict

Listening to the Symphony No. 5 makes me claim: what a stirring work! And in a spectacular recording to boot!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 01, 2023, 08:41:52 PMListening to the Symphony No. 5 makes me claim: what a stirring work! And in a spectacular recording to boot!

The tragic and defiant 5th Symphony is a magnificent work and that's a fine recording of it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 02, 2023, 08:14:51 AMThe tragic and defiant 5th Symphony is a magnificent work and that's a fine recording of it.

Indeed, Jeffrey, and the rest of his symphonies are not half bad either. A wondrous composer with an attractive voice of his own.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 01, 2023, 08:41:52 PMListening to the Symphony No. 5 makes me claim: what a stirring work! And in a spectacular recording to boot!

It is a very interesting matching of works: the Suite is definitely the most experimental composition of the ones included, very lively, colourful and extremely varied because of the inspiration to different dancing rhythms and the Avant-garde, while Symphony No. 5 is graver, more powerfully animated, with a more dramatic tension, which remind me a little of Shostakovich; Symphony No. 2 is quirky and incredibly changeable.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on July 02, 2023, 12:52:06 PMIt is a very interesting matching of works: the Suite is definitely the most experimental composition of the ones included, very lively, colourful and extremely varied because of the inspiration to different dancing rhythms and the Avant-garde, while Symphony No. 5 is graver, more powerfully animated, with a more dramatic tension, which remind me a little of Shostakovich; Symphony No. 2 is quirky and incredibly changeable.

Interesting, I need to revisit that Suite for chamber orchestra as I have zero recollections of it.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

All these days I've been exploring his chamber works beyond the string quartets and I've been fascinated by how good they are. Today I listened to this CD and it's excellent in all accounts. Schulhoff wrote memorable music, with personality and spark, a quite consistent composer in my book. Fortunately record labels haven't ignored him.

Noam Chomsky