Author Topic: Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)  (Read 25744 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Brume au-dessus de l'eau...
Re: Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2020, 07:16:50 AM »
Those are amongst my favourites too John. Do you know the epic First SQ? It really is quite something. My other favourite is the early Symphony in C and 'Voice in the Wilderness' which I tend to play more often than the more famous 'Schelomo', good as that is. Oh, and I mustn't forget the 'Israel Symphony' which alerted me to Bloch in the first place.

Yes, I do like the Israel Symphony as well. I need to get more familiar with Bloch’s oeuvre in general. I don’t know any of his SQs. Voice in the Wilderness is an excellent work the best I can remember. I also liked the Violin Concerto, which I forgot to mention previously.
“Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2020, 07:51:18 AM »
This CD is exceptionally good:

I was listening to Four Episodes the other day by following the comments here. Don't recall if I had heard it before. Anyway, this was something else. Bloch at his most colourful and lyric. I liked it a lot.

I think I remember Four Episodes as it came from this recording which I had bought ages ago:

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #202 on: May 25, 2020, 12:02:55 PM »
Listening to Bloch’s outstanding Piano Quintets today and I’m rather looking forward to reacquainting myself with wonderful composer. It seems there are three stylistic strands within Bloch’s music: the Jewish inspired works, the Impressionist and Neoclassicist. I suppose you could add in a fourth one, which would be what make up his symphonies and the Concerto symphonique and works of this nature. I’m not sure what you would call this style: Neo-Romanticism?

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2020, 05:53:32 PM »
Listening to Bloch’s outstanding Piano Quintets today and I’m rather looking forward to reacquainting myself with wonderful composer. It seems there are three stylistic strands within Bloch’s music: the Jewish inspired works, the Impressionist and Neoclassicist. I suppose you could add in a fourth one, which would be what make up his symphonies and the Concerto symphonique and works of this nature. I’m not sure what you would call this style: Neo-Romanticism?

I think that your definitions of Bloch's musical language makes good sense to me. I like 'Neo-Romanticism' for the epic 'Concerto Symphoniique'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2020, 06:07:00 PM »
I think that your definitions of Bloch's musical language makes good sense to me. I like 'Neo-Romanticism' for the epic 'Concerto Symphoniique'.

Kudos, Jeffrey. That is a work I need to revisit (e. g. the Concerto symphonique). I have the Jenny Lin recording on Hänssler. I think there has been another performance of it on some more obscure label (maybe with David Amos on Laurel Records?), but now that I think about it, I think there’s another performance of it on Chandos.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:14:07 PM by Mirror Image »