Author Topic: Richard Strauss's house  (Read 133897 times)

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
Re: Richard Strauss's house
« Reply #720 on: June 30, 2022, 02:10:30 PM »
This disk was my introduction to Strauss music, specifically the Alpine Symphony. Not an easy piece to enjoy for me on the basis of a single listen. Maybe it's not an especially good version?

While I'm not particularly well-versed in recordings of the work, I'll still recommend Haitink's near- perfect recording for Philips with the RCO. It's worth having for the sublime woodwinds alone.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #721 on: June 30, 2022, 03:12:28 PM »
Dave, I know The Unknown Strauss 15-CD collection filled in some orchestral holes for me, although not all of it is 'unknown', and Rickenbacher is not a favorite Straussian of mine.

Of course, each were released separately for picking and choosing so you can avoid the operas and choral music.

VS

Thanks VS - I've looked at the 15-disc box which would more that double my collection of Strauss - not sure that I want much more that already owned - I'd like to explore his 'piano music' but not sure if there is more that a couple of worthwhile discs and uncertain of the 'best' performances.  Comments much appreciated - Dave :)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #722 on: June 30, 2022, 10:24:12 PM »
I am pretty sure the "Unknown R. Strauss" would be a bit much for a casual fan... I didn't even know there was solo piano music, this is a tiny niche within a niche of youthful/unknown works.
According to your lists you are already rather well provided with some of the rather unknown chamber pieces. As mentioned above, I am still not sure if you have two major pieces, the Burleske and the violin sonata (often coupled with non-Strauss). And IF you like tone poems, make sure to try the lesser known ones such as Macbeth, Sinfonia Domestica or the earlyish suite/tone poem "Aus Italien" (From Italy).

You already know that you are missing the more important half of Strauss if you cannot get into opera (or lieder).

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline VonStupp

• Veteran member
    • Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #723 on: July 01, 2022, 04:16:05 AM »
Thanks VS - I've looked at the 15-disc box which would more that double my collection of Strauss - not sure that I want much more that already owned - I'd like to explore his 'piano music' but not sure if there is more that a couple of worthwhile discs and uncertain of the 'best' performances.  Comments much appreciated - Dave :)

Not even I invested in all of these 'unknown' works. Mostly to fill out some vocal/orchestral numbers I wanted.  :)

VS
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 04:35:00 AM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Online Spotted Horses

• Veteran member
  • Formerly Baron Scarpia and Parsifal
« Reply #724 on: July 01, 2022, 04:36:16 AM »
This disk was my introduction to Strauss music, specifically the Alpine Symphony. Not an easy piece to enjoy for me on the basis of a single listen. Maybe it's not an especially good version?

I wouldn't fault Bohm, but an old mono recording of a work whose effect is based on opulent orchestration is not an ideal introduction, I would say. Karajan's recording is one benchmark, Haitink's Concertgebouw recording, mentioned above, is another splendid option.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Anton Bruckner (1824 - 1896)
« Reply #725 on: July 01, 2022, 04:44:39 AM »

I say the performance is quite good, but my own enjoyment was marred by the fidelity of the recording. Certainly not in the same league as Karajan's or the newer one from Andrés Orozco-Estrada on Pentatone.
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

My "Top 5" Favorite Composers: Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius and Bartók

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #726 on: July 01, 2022, 06:40:58 AM »
I am pretty sure the "Unknown R. Strauss" would be a bit much for a casual fan... I didn't even know there was solo piano music, this is a tiny niche within a niche of youthful/unknown works.
According to your lists you are already rather well provided with some of the rather unknown chamber pieces. As mentioned above, I am still not sure if you have two major pieces, the Burleske and the violin sonata (often coupled with non-Strauss). And IF you like tone poems, make sure to try the lesser known ones such as Macbeth, Sinfonia Domestica or the earlyish suite/tone poem "Aus Italien" (From Italy).

You already know that you are missing the more important half of Strauss if you cannot get into opera (or lieder).

Not even I invested in all of these 'unknown' works. Mostly to fill out some vocal/orchestral numbers I wanted.  :)

VS

Thanks again Guys for your help - the Violin Sonata had plenty of selections on Amazon but matched w/ others I already owned, however, I found the one below w/ Shosty's own work, not owned by me (good reviews on Amazon and also in Fanfare) - as to the lesser poem tones; hard to find except for boxes, but located the other disc below w/ Macbeth & Symphonia Domestica - should be enough for me.

As to operas, the statement above applies to many composers in which I'm 'missing' an important part of their oeuvre, but my interest is non-existent.  When I was a teenager growing up in the Toledo (Ohio) area, my father was a BIG opera lover and used to get subscription tickets to the seasons at the Toledo Art Museum (they brought in national touring venues); my mother refused to go so being the eldest son I was 'dragged' along for 2 or 3 years, mostly Italian w/ some Mozart (and probably others I don't remember) - that traumatic teenage experience probably permanently damaged my 'you gotta love opera' genes - sorry at my post-retirement age, I rather listen to music enjoyed most by me.  :laugh:  Dave

P.S. there are some 'piano recordings' but not much, so unless someone 'chimes in' on whether desirable, I'll likely pass.  :-\

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Anton Bruckner (1824 - 1896)
« Reply #727 on: July 01, 2022, 06:45:02 AM »

Strauss' piano music is decent enough, but nothing revelatory about it. The chamber music is rather nice, but some of it is forgettable. For me, where Strauss truly shines is in operatic, orchestral and lieder.

FWIW, The Unknown Richard Strauss box set is alright, but better performances of much of this repertoire can be found elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 06:46:42 AM by Mirror Image »
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

My "Top 5" Favorite Composers: Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius and Bartók

Offline hvbias

• Veteran member
« Reply #728 on: September 22, 2022, 03:10:12 PM »
I'm looking to explore some more performances of Salome if anyone has suggestions. I have Solti and Karajan.
"I feel very strongly about Chopin — I just love him" - Fou Ts'ong

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #729 on: September 22, 2022, 10:11:55 PM »
I'm looking to explore some more performances of Salome if anyone has suggestions. I have Solti and Karajan.

Caballé on RCA/Sony, perhaps.

https://youtu.be/rJ3LFIQb5Fs?t=518 (Hurwitz)
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Jan/Strauss_Salome_survey.pdf (Ralph Moore, PDF file)