Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 13, 2018, 06:55:13 AM
Gramophone explores Alpine Symphony recordings, follow the Twitter link below. A nice listing of performances spanning almost a century, not surprised by their top choice, but I was thrilled to see the positive mention of the Frank Shipway and Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra's recording on BIS. In a post here on GMG from last October I said the SPSO "play their hearts out", and for the magazine Hugo Shirley writes that they "play out of their skins for him (Shipway)".

https://twitter.com/GramophoneMag/status/952099162241282049

Cool, Greg. Alpine Symphony is one of the all-time great works in the symphonic repertoire IMHO. HvK's account still stirs emotions inside of me that not many others have done. I know you're not a great fan of HvK's Strauss, but, for me, he always performed this music with a passion and flowing lyricism that's hardly been bettered.

Here's a direct link to that Gramophone article:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/strauss-alpine-symphony-which-recording-to-own?utm_content=buffer09e98&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 13, 2018, 07:02:55 AM
Cool, Greg. Alpine Symphony is one of the all-time great works in the symphonic repertoire IMHO. HvK's account still stirs emotions inside of me that not many others have done. I know you're not a great fan of HvK's Strauss, but, for me, he always performed this music with a passion and flowing lyricism that's hardly been bettered.

Here's a direct link to that Gramophone article:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/strauss-alpine-symphony-which-recording-to-own?utm_content=buffer09e98&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Hi, John. Happy New Year!

It's less of I'm not a fan of HVK's Strauss, and more of I think there's better out there. Although this is one recording that doesn't stay too far away...
https://www.amazon.com/Strauss-Karajan-Berlin-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B000001GQF/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1515859737&sr=1-3&keywords=strauss+karajan
And it has been a while since I've listened to his Alpine.

Thanks for posting the link.

SurprisedByBeauty

For me, it's still this baby:

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2010/12/best-recordings-of-2010-2.html

...and I've listened to most that have come out since or just before. Lots of great recordings, but I find that one unusually vivid, even if that's perhaps a surprise, given the conductor/orchestra. (LSO/Haitink)

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 13, 2018, 07:10:03 AM
Hi, John. Happy New Year!

It's less of I'm not a fan of HVK's Strauss, and more of I think there's better out there. Although this is one recording that doesn't stay too far away...
https://www.amazon.com/Strauss-Karajan-Berlin-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B000001GQF/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1515859737&sr=1-3&keywords=strauss+karajan
And it has been a while since I've listened to his Alpine.

Thanks for posting the link.

Happy New Year to you, too! 8) I'd like to revisit Kempe's and Sinopoli's Alpine at some point. Also, I have the Jansons, too, in that article that they say is the 'Showcase' version. I have yet to hear it. Perhaps over the weekend I'll finally get around to it.

SurprisedByBeauty

SymphonicAddict

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 27, 2019, 08:24:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/zsTo7QxxgYg

An atomic performance!

German orchestras make that rich sound built from the bass up that so suits this music.... really impressive performance for sure!

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 07, 2019, 11:42:25 AM
German orchestras make that rich sound built from the bass up that so suits this music.... really impressive performance for sure!

Another performance with the same forces is found on this CD:

Though not completely sure whether it's a different performance to that on YouTube.

SurprisedByBeauty

I'm not a fan of the conductor -- Orozco-Estrada -- at all (from whatever I heard with him with the Tonkuenstler and on record thus) and I am more than skeptical about his taking over the VSO from Joran, but that recording is top-notch, indeed.

Recent #CDReviews on ClassicsToday:

Karl Böhm's #AlpineSymphony Revisited

https://classicstoday.com/review/karl-bohms-alpine-symphony-revisited/

Andy D.

If you're not as much into dissonance and/or a significant move away from late Romanticism I wouldn't recommend Elektra.

Salome and Die Alpensinfonie are my favorite pieces by Strauss. I also love the 4 songs very much.

There's an entertaining dvd movie of Salome with Teresa Stratas that I recommend.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Andy D. on September 07, 2019, 02:19:47 AM
If you're not as much into dissonance and/or a significant move away from late Romanticism I wouldn't recommend Elektra.

Salome and Die Alpensinfonie are my favorite pieces by Strauss. I also love the 4 songs very much.

There's an entertaining dvd movie of Salome with Teresa Stratas that I recommend.

I love all those pieces as well, Andy.  I get the pleasure of hearing Renee Fleming perform the Four Last Songs in less than two weeks with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 07, 2019, 08:14:23 AM
My ongoing Alpine-Symphony Marathon:

I admire your stamina! How many recordings a day? As much as I like this pinnacle of orchestral music, in my case, I couldn't stand more than three listens.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 07, 2019, 11:36:22 AM
I admire your stamina! How many recordings a day? As much as I like this pinnacle of orchestral music, in my case, I couldn't stand more than three listens.

I could probably listen to five a day, if I found the time. But there's much other listening going on right now, so I managed max. 2 per day.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 07, 2019, 11:36:22 AM

Scary how many of those versions I know.  But WOT!!! - No Wit/Weimar Staatskappelle on Naxos..... in the midst of many favourites you list that is one near the summit (geddit!) of my enjoyment

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 07, 2019, 01:52:23 PM
Scary how many of those versions I know.  But WOT!!! - No Wit/Weimar Staatskappelle on Naxos..... in the midst of many favourites you list that is one near the summit (geddit!) of my enjoyment

Summit! Very good. It's an ongoing process. I'll take a peak (geddit!). I don't have that recording yet, but that's an obstacle I shall -- wait for it -- surmount! :-)

André

Do you review them on your blog, Jens? I'm very interested on your views on all these recordings. 40 years ago the Alpine Symphony was sniffed at. Now it's all the rage (with good reason).

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: André on September 07, 2019, 03:00:53 PM
Do you review them on your blog, Jens? I'm very interested on your views on all these recordings. 40 years ago the Alpine Symphony was sniffed at. Now it's all the rage (with good reason).

For those that I don't get a review in on ClassicsToday (or where my opinion differs too wildly from the ClassicsToday opinion), that's a good idea! I've always loved that work and never quite understood it being pooh-poohed.

-----
Happy 70th Deathaversary, Richard!

#morninglistening in memory of #RichardStrauss who died today, 70 years ago.

André

SurprisedByBeauty

My ongoing Alpine-Symphony Marathon:

Cover-art check: More than half the covers go with the tried-and-true picture of mountains/alps in some way. :-) (So did the original EMI release of Welser-Moest's Alpine Symphony... but it went with the re-issue.

André

Mehta's Berliner Phil is one of my favourite versions. I look forward to read your opinion on all these recordings !!