Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonehelm

I can't find a Strauss thread in the first dozen pages of the composer section!  :o

What should we know about this composer? All I have is HvK's late DG rendition of Don Juan and Thus Spoke Zarathrustra. I haven't come to a conclusion to describe his style yet. It's very contrapuntal, sometimes dissonant, like modernism mixed with rich late-romanticism. I like it very much...

pjme

Bonehelm

Any good recordings to recommend? Any info to share on the composer?

Bonehelm

Great, thanks. What are those works like?

Que

Quote from: Perfect FIFTH on March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM
What should we know about this composer? .

The real glory of Richard Strauss to be found in his operas, with some expectional compositions outside opera like the Metamorphosen and Lieder.

Die Frau ohne Schatten, Salome, Elektra, Der Rosenkavalier, and Ariadne auf Naxos are some of my favourites.

Q

marvinbrown

Quote from: Que on March 25, 2008, 10:23:32 PM
The real glory of Richard Strauss to be found in his operas, with some expectional compositions outside opera like the Metamorphosen and Lieder.

Die Frau ohne Schatten, Salome, Elektra, Der Rosenkavalier, and Ariadne auf Naxos are some of my favourites.

Q

Yes to me as well Richard Strauss is all about opera.  But then again I am an opera fanatic ;D. Those five that you mention above Que are the ones that I have and absolutely love.  There is so much variety in musical texture between them its incredible. Der Rosenkavalier is very lyrical, light-hearted and littered with beautiful waltzes. Salome is all about seduction and that shock factor.  Elektra is frighteningly dissonant, frighteningly!!Ariadne auf Naxos has some brilliant parts for soprano, Richard Strauss's favorite voice or at least the one that he liked to write most for and Die Frau ohne Schatten is a glorious masterpiece in its own right. I'd recommend that a R. Strauss newbie start with Der Rosenkavalier.

marvin 

Bonehelm

Quote from: marvinbrown on March 26, 2008, 03:31:52 AM
  Yes to me as well Richard Strauss is all about opera.  But then again I am an opera fanatic ;D. Those five that you mention above Que are the ones that I have and absolutely love.  There is so much variety in musical texture between them its incredible. Der Rosenkavalier is very lyrical, light-hearted and littered with beautiful waltzes. Salome is all about seduction and that shock factor.  Elektra is frighteningly dissonant, frighteningly!!Ariadne auf Naxos has some brilliant parts for soprano, Richard Strauss's favorite voice or at least the one that he liked to write most for and Die Frau ohne Schatten is a glorious masterpiece in its own right. I'd recommend that a R. Strauss newbie start with Der Rosenkavalier.

marvin 
Thanks for your recommendation marvin, I have my eyes on the Kleiber DVD now. I hope the music isn't too modern in that one, as I like late-romantic works the most.

pjme

....well, late Romantic music isn't only about sweet 0:) melodies and perfect harmony. 0:).... ! LIsten also to Mahler, Reger, Zemlinsky, Schreker,Suk !
Salome and Electra contain very good,often cruel "drama" that remains modern - but isn't exactly pleasant or "fun"....

Lottery24

And you can't forget the Four Last Songs! They're too gloriously written to miss.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Perfect FIFTH on March 26, 2008, 08:07:15 PM
Thanks for your recommendation marvin, I have my eyes on the Kleiber DVD now. I hope the music isn't too modern in that one, as I like late-romantic works the most.

For late romantic works I would imagine that Der Rosenkavalier should fit the bill nicely.  There are 2 Kleiber DVD recordings and they are both excellent so you can not go wrong there.  Now a few words about Salome and Elektra.  These two operas are "modern" masterpieces that were commercial scandalous hits- often banned from opera houses all over the world at their time.  Elektra and Salome are NOT to be missed!  I'd leave Elektra until the very end as it is in my opinion the most difficult of R. Strauss's operas to absorb.  But once it "clicks" it is a real joy to experience.  I highly recommend this DVD recording:

PS:  and yes it is as frightening as it looks  $:)!
  marvin

Bonehelm

Quote from: pjme on March 26, 2008, 11:34:02 PM
....well, late Romantic music isn't only about sweet 0:) melodies and perfect harmony. 0:).... ! LIsten also to Mahler, Reger, Zemlinsky, Schreker,Suk !
Salome and Electra contain very good,often cruel "drama" that remains modern - but isn't exactly pleasant or "fun"....

I'm one of the biggest Mahler nuts around here, I know how late-romanticism is like, trust me. Now lets go back to Strauss, thanks.

Gustav

Quote from: Perfect FIFTH on March 27, 2008, 10:02:14 PM
I'm one of the biggest Mahler nuts around here, I know how late-romanticism is like, trust me. Now lets go back to Strauss, thanks.

I think you completely missed what pjme was saying.... well, let me try, see, Strauss isn't exactly the same sort of composer as Mahler. You see, he is more "modern" than Mahler, but less than Schoenberg, but his style is unique, very much like the style of Shostakovitch is very unique also, abeit in a different way. You simply can't clearly put him under "Late Romanticism" or "Modernism", it's kind of blurry.

pjme

All I have is HvK's late DG rendition of Don Juan and Thus Spoke Zarathrustra  0:) ???

Well, when I read this sentence .....

Anyway, I recommend Norman Del Mar's 3 volume "Richard Strauss -a Critical commentary on his life and works".  ( Cornell University Press). A great source of information.
I re-read a few pages yesterday. I wish a ( very large...) virtuoso orchestra ( and chorus) would (re)record all the minor "pomp & circumstance" works Strauss wrote ...rrr, to test my speakers... 0:)

Japanische festmusik 
Weimar Festmusik ( Kampf und Sieg)
Feierlicher Einzug ( original version for brass and timpani) - Del Mar mentiones that Strauss rescored the piece for orchestra with organ ad lib.
Festliches Praeludium ( large orchestra with organ) -( this piece has been recorded several times - Bernstein, Böhm ...)

Taillefer for chorus and orchestra
Bardengesang for male chorus and orchestra
Liederzyklus for chorus & orch.

I don't know if this disc is still available. The live perfomances are quite good (see :http://musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/sept00/strausschoral.htm) - the cover art really disturbingly bad.

Peter

Lethevich

Should satisfy on the orchestral front ;D

His first 3 (ignore the non famous pre-Salome ones) operas are essential. Salome is short and punchy, Elektra is creepier, Rosenkavalier is like drowning in chocolate for 3 hours (in a good way). The next two are also essential but less easy-going. The plot to Ariadne auf Naxos is just weird, but nothing compared to the weirdness (and length) of Die Frau ohne Schatten. It's difficult to know what to make of the second half of his operatic output, but if you like the three latter works, you will find a lot to enjoy later on (although nothing like Salome or Elektra).
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Bonehelm

Quote from: Lethe on March 28, 2008, 02:50:08 AM

Should satisfy on the orchestral front ;D

His first 3 (ignore the non famous pre-Salome ones) operas are essential. Salome is short and punchy, Elektra is creepier, Rosenkavalier is like drowning in chocolate for 3 hours (in a good way). The next two are also essential but less easy-going. The plot to Ariadne auf Naxos is just weird, but nothing compared to the weirdness (and length) of Die Frau ohne Schatten. It's difficult to know what to make of the second half of his operatic output, but if you like the three latter works, you will find a lot to enjoy later on (although nothing like Salome or Elektra).

Nice, thanks for the recommendation Lethe!  :)

knight66

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

rubio

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley