Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

The Fleming/Bonney/Eschenbach Met Broadcast from 2001 is coming to siriusxm radio 4 times this week. Unfortunately I'm in the UK and so can't access this service, but would anyone in the US be willing to sign up to the free trial and record it in high quality? I've been wanting to hear this for years. They're also doing the Conlon/ Fleming, Hadley, Ramey, McVeigh Susannah which I'd also love to hear.

http://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Satellite?c=SXM_Channel_C&childpagename=SXM%2FSXM_Channel_C%2FChannelProgramList&cid=1282009842027&pagename=SXM%2FWrapper
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

MishaK

OK, so there has been ample debate around here about the lousiness of the original digital sound of the Karajan GOLD Alpensinfonie. THis new reissue:

[asin]B005C8VQT4[/asin]

promises a new digital remastering of all the contents. I guess this won't be out for another three weeks, but I'll be curious to hear what people think of the sound.

Renfield

Quote from: MishaK on September 24, 2011, 01:20:56 PM
OK, so there has been ample debate around here about the lousiness of the original digital sound of the Karajan GOLD Alpensinfonie. THis new reissue:

[asin]B005C8VQT4[/asin]

promises a new digital remastering of all the contents. I guess this won't be out for another three weeks, but I'll be curious to hear what people think of the sound.

!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I wasn't expecting that from DG. At all. May I ask if they're doing it for any other Karajan recordings?

BTW, re: Diana Damrau, I'm with Jens. I've only ever heard her once, live, singing more than Strauss. And the other stuff (a wide-ranging medley of mostly French songs) was by and large excellent. But the Strauss was absolutely fantastic.

Or: what I want out of Strauss, she delivered in spades.)

MishaK

Quote from: Renfield on September 24, 2011, 02:43:31 PM
May I ask if they're doing it for any other Karajan recordings?

You may ask, but I may not answer.  ;) Since I know nothing of DG's plans.

Renfield

Quote from: MishaK on September 24, 2011, 02:57:12 PM
You may ask, but I may not answer.  ;) Since I know nothing of DG's plans.

Fair enough! :D I just hope for the Bruckner cycle.

BTW, do you have a link for the above being newly-remastered? The DG site is uninformative as usual (re: the remastering, at least).

MishaK

Quote from: Renfield on September 24, 2011, 03:01:08 PM
Fair enough! :D I just hope for the Bruckner cycle.

BTW, do you have a link for the above being newly-remastered? The DG site is uninformative as usual (re: the remastering, at least).

Given that they are reissuing Barenboim's 70s/80s CSO cycle as part of the same series, I doubt they will do Karajan as well at the same time. The pic above takes you to the amazon listing, where it says that it's newly remastered.

Renfield

Quote from: MishaK on September 24, 2011, 03:34:05 PM
Given that they are reissuing Barenboim's 70s/80s CSO cycle as part of the same series, I doubt they will do Karajan as well at the same time. The pic above takes you to the amazon listing, where it says that it's newly remastered.

Aha! Well, it says "The complete remastered digital recordings in a single box for the first time!" Which is ambiguous. It could be 'the complete remastered digital recordings (i.e. Karajan Gold)', as well as 'the complete digital recordings, remastered'.

So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As for the Brucner, yeah, I think so too. But you never know, right? Right? :'( (;D)

MishaK

ArkivMusic has a more detailed listing of recording dates, so it would appear that at least ASZ, DJ, TElS, T&V, 4LL, eHL, and AlpS are digital. The others don't have dates, but it seems they are also not the older versions.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=587953

madaboutmahler

First post in this thread :)

I am a massive R.Strauss fan, in fact he is only beaten by Mahler in being my favourite composer! Favourite works being Eine Alpensinfonie, Ein Heldenleben, Tod und Verklarung, Don Juan, Der Rosenkavalier Suite, Dance of the Seven Veils from Salome, Four Last Songs, Metamorphosen, Oboe Concerto, Till Eulenspigel and Also Sprach Zarathustra. The first three in particular I love so much! So as you can guess, I am a major fan of the tone poems, still really yet to explore the operas in full, although I do love the suites. I imagine that I shall be listening to either Der Rosenkavalier or Salome in full rather soon!

In terms of my favourite Straussian conductor, well... I guess it would probably have to be Karajan! Other favourite Strauss recordings include Sir Simon Rattle's recording of Ein Heldenleben with the Berliners, and also Antoni Wit's recording of Eine Alpensinfonie. Am I not alone in thinking Antoni Wit should recording more Strauss?
[asin]B000FGGKHQ[/asin]

Also, what do you all think of Andris Nelsons' new recordings of Strauss? I am going to be purchasing them soon... :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

karlhenning

We'll hear the BSO play Ein Heldenleben this coming Saturday.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 25, 2011, 06:05:47 AM

Lucky you! Which conductor Karl?
This Friday, I'll be seeing the LPO in Strauss' Don Juan (and Rach Symphonic Dances. :) )
— Ludwig van Beethoven

karlhenning

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 25, 2011, 06:11:03 AM
Lucky you! Which conductor Karl?

Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos, a guest conductor whom (in fairness) we've heard conduct some dreadfully mannered performances.  But with Gidon Kremer as the guest soloist in the Schumann Vn Cto, we couldn't possibly give this a miss.

The Rakhmaninov Symphonic Dances are always a treat! Good on you!

madaboutmahler

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 25, 2011, 06:14:21 AM
Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos, a guest conductor whom (in fairness) we've heard conduct some dreadfully mannered performances.  But with Gidon Kremer as the guest soloist in the Schumann Vn Cto, we couldn't possibly give this a miss.

The Rakhmaninov Symphonic Dances are always a treat! Good on you!

Ah, I am not his 'greatest fan' either ;) But Ein Heldenleben is always amazing to see live, and the BSO will be excellent as normal I am sure!
Enjoy! :)

They certainly are! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 25, 2011, 06:05:47 AM

I know you are not a huge R. Strauss fan, Karl.  However, this piece, played live several years ago by the WSO, is what turned me into an R. Strauss fan.  I hope you'll enjoy it Karl!

karlhenning

knight66

'Also, what do you all think of Andris Nelsons' new recordings of Strauss? I am going to be purchasing them soon...'

I have both of Nelsons' Strauss recordings on Orfeo; they are superb. I was in Bremen a couple of months ago and Nelsons was conducting the Amsterdam Concertgebow. It was my first encounter of him and I thought he was superb. Luckily, he is the chief conductor in Birmingham, England which is within easy reach for me. As soon as I got home I ordered tickets for impending Bruckner and Wagner concerts and got hold of Nelson's Alpine Sym, Heldenleben and his Stravinsky disc. Nelsons generates a lot of excitement, but does not neglect the full range of moods in the pieces. Recorded live, the sound is terrific and the sheer enjoyment of his music making is infectious.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: knight66 on October 25, 2011, 10:24:59 PM
'Also, what do you all think of Andris Nelsons' new recordings of Strauss? I am going to be purchasing them soon...'

I have both of Nelsons' Strauss recordings on Orfeo; they are superb. I was in Bremen a couple of months ago and Nelsons was conducting the Amsterdam Concertgebow. It was my first encounter of him and I thought he was superb. Luckily, he is the chief conductor in Birmingham, England which is within easy reach for me. As soon as I got home I ordered tickets for impending Bruckner and Wagner concerts and got hold of Nelson's Alpine Sym, Heldenleben and his Stravinsky disc. Nelsons generates a lot of excitement, but does not neglect the full range of moods in the pieces. Recorded live, the sound is terrific and the sheer enjoyment of his music making is infectious.

Mike

Thanks for the feedback Mike! Wow, that must have been a great concert. What I have seen/heard of Nelsons so far certainly has been superb. I watched the broadcast of his BBC Prom this previous summer, when he conducted Strauss Don Juan/Salome's Dance etc, which was excellent. Also, I saw quite a lot of a concert he did with the Berlin Phil, through the Digital Concert Hall, when he was conducting Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier Suite. It was one of the most beautiful performances of that piece I have ever heard!
Yes, certainly is great that he is chief conductor of the CBSO! I shall be seeing them in Elgar's Dream of Gerontius, in London next year. Very excited about that! :)
I agree, he certainly is an exciting conductor and I am looking forward to whatever he does in the future!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Listened to Salome for the first time today. Absolutely amazed by it, what a masterpiece! I was left speechless by the end of it, being so much in awe of the beauty, sheer eroticism and power I had just heard. Wow....  :o  :)

[asin]B000E6EH04[/asin]

This is the first Strauss opera I have ever heard, so where do I go next? Elektra perhaps? Der Rosenkavalier sounds absolutely beautiful (from the suite) as well.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mc ukrneal

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 18, 2012, 11:16:30 AM
Listened to Salome for the first time today. Absolutely amazed by it, what a masterpiece! I was left speechless by the end of it, being so much in awe of the beauty, sheer eroticism and power I had just heard. Wow....  :o  :)

[asin]B000E6EH04[/asin]

This is the first Strauss opera I have ever heard, so where do I go next? Elektra perhaps? Der Rosenkavalier sounds absolutely beautiful (from the suite) as well.
Elektra is in some ways a natural next step. Since you liked this one with Solti/Nilsson, their Elektra makes no less a good recommendation. Rosenkavalier is a wonderful opera - since the music is somewhat familiar, this makes sense too. I'd go for either Karajan or Haitink. After that, I'd go for Arabella or Ariadne. In time, you'll need them all! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Lethevich

Die Frau ohne Schatten is one of his most pure creations - if you can endure Parsifal, it should be no problem.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.