Richard Strauss's house

Started by Bonehelm, March 24, 2008, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on July 10, 2012, 04:42:55 AM
Hm, that there Joseph is a piece I've long known, albeit in name alone....

The symphonic suite for Josephslegende is good. I've had one listen all the way through the ballet but mostly go to the suite.

Quote from: Scots John on July 10, 2012, 04:58:20 AM
I listened to Le bourgeois gentilhomme last night.
It will be some time before I listen to it again.   :(

The best way to enjoy is to pick out the good movements from the suite like The Entry of Cleonte.

madaboutmahler

Josephslegende is certainly a work I would be interested to hear... :)

By the way - the Also Sprach Zarathustra Blind Comparison has started now, if you haven't signed up yet but still want to take part, you still can, just let me know! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 10, 2012, 02:30:15 PM
Josephslegende is certainly a work I would be interested to hear... :)

You should check it out, Daniel, quite colorful and interesting,

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 10, 2012, 05:04:32 AM
The symphonic suite for Josephslegende is good. I've had one listen all the way through the ballet but mostly go to the suite.

...I realized this may have sounded as if I dislike the whole ballet, and that's not the case, the suite itself is almost 30 minutes long for a ballet that's about an hour, it covers a lot of ground. I have the Sinopoli disc and that's the only ballet recording I've heard, you should give it a try, Daniel, considering how happy Der Rosenkavalier makes you.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: jlaurson on July 10, 2012, 06:04:58 AM
just 'rescued' my little blurp on the piece:

Iván Fischer, Richard Strauss, Josephs Legende

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/07/ivan-fischer-richard-strauss-josephs.html

Nice blurp, has me reaching for a listen to the full ballet, I'm literally reaching for the disc right now, unfortunately it's buried under my many Oboe Concerto and Duett-Concertino recordings (the fortissimo-loving, Horn playing high school version of me would have fainted if he knew I would one day say that)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 10, 2012, 03:35:22 PM
You should check it out, Daniel, quite colorful and interesting,

...I realized this may have sounded as if I dislike the whole ballet, and that's not the case, the suite itself is almost 30 minutes long for a ballet that's about an hour, it covers a lot of ground. I have the Sinopoli disc and that's the only ballet recording I've heard, you should give it a try, Daniel, considering how happy Der Rosenkavalier makes you.

Thank you, Greg - I am certainly very keen to hear it. :)

I see Fischer made a recording of the complete ballet, I would imagine that would be good. (if it's still available, it seems to have gone missing from amazon...)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

johnshade

Quote from: Cato on July 06, 2012, 07:14:05 AM
Dudes!

I could not believe it!  In the intervening months since I last checked, perhaps back in the winter, the Metropolitan Opera has released my favorite version of Elektra on DVD.  Hildegard Behrens, Brigitte Fassbänder, Deborah Voigt (before her weight loss: it is interesting to see Behrens put her into an armlock!)  and James Levine conducting.

Wait until you see Behrens climb onto a huge fallen horse statue, shake her fist at the sky, and sing: "Agamemnon hört dich!"

As the one reviewer (so far) says: "Buy it while you can!"

I think this is one of the great opera videos. I like everything about it. No one can perform Elektra like Behrens.

JS
The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun  (Shakespeare)

bhodges

Quote from: johnshade on July 11, 2012, 12:05:40 PM
I think this is one of the great opera videos. I like everything about it. No one can perform Elektra like Behrens.

JS

Thanks, John (and Cato) - somehow I missed that this had been released and will definitely get it. I saw the same production at the Met a couple of years ago (it's fantastic) with Voigt but alas, no Behrens. (This must have been taped when the production debuted.) Elektra is one of my favorite operas.

--Bruce

Cato

Quote from: Brewski on July 11, 2012, 12:13:00 PM
Thanks, John (and Cato) - somehow I missed that this had been released and will definitely get it. I saw the same production at the Met a couple of years ago (it's fantastic) with Voigt but alas, no Behrens. (This must have been taped when the production debuted.) Elektra is one of my favorite operas.

--Bruce

My DVD arrived today: I hope to crank it up tomorrow morning.  I am most interested in the sound quality, which I assume will be better than what I received from PBS on my monaural VCR!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: johnshade on July 11, 2012, 12:05:40 PM

JS

Yes, it is!  The stereo sound quality is excellent: at times it seems as if one is standing on the stage or sitting with the orchestra!  The words of the singers are much clearer than what I had picked up from the original broadcast on television.

Highly recommended, for all the reasons mentioned before and because the quality of the DVD is top-notch!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

madaboutmahler

Have completely fallen in love with the Mondscheinmusik from Capriccio. Divine perfection, and late Strauss at his best! I am setting up a small lightening round blind comparison project for it. It would take around 40 minutes of your time and I'm sure it would be pleasurable as the music is just so gorgeous, which such a wide interpretative scale as well. So please do let me know if you would like to take part!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

jlaurson

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 27, 2013, 03:20:45 PM
Have completely fallen in love with the Mondscheinmusik from Capriccio. Divine perfection, and late Strauss at his best! I am setting up a small lightening round blind comparison project for it. It would take around 40 minutes of your time and I'm sure it would be pleasurable as the music is just so gorgeous, which such a wide interpretative scale as well. So please do let me know if you would like to take part!

Oh, I'll at least try to participate in that. I love that music, too! As I do the Sextet. Indeed the entire opera, actually.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: jlaurson on May 28, 2013, 08:21:43 AM
Oh, I'll at least try to participate in that. I love that music, too! As I do the Sextet. Indeed the entire opera, actually.

Great, Jens! Thanks! The sextet is indeed beautiful also, I need to listen to the whole opera too!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

I haven't listened to Strauss' Capriccio yet, but the Mondscheinmusik is certainly brilliant, delightful music. Such a passionate, intense and beautifully atmospheric composition, with an elegant, colourful orchestration; Strauss was able to handle the brass in a masterful way. :D

The whole opera should be very charming, it deals with a great subject, the importance of music and poetry; on second thoughts, Wagner also discussed about that in his essay Das Kunstwerk der Zukunft.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

knight66

You need Bohm and Janowitz in this piece.

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Brahmsian

Saturday Strauss-a-thon!  8)

Currently:

Horn Concerto No. 1 in E flat major, Op. 11
Horn Concerto No. 2 in E flat major

Peter Damm, horn

Oboe Concerto in D major

Manfred Clement, oboe

Duett-Concertino for clarinet, bassoon and strings

Manfred Weise, clarinet
Wolfgang Liebscher, bassoon

Kempe, conducting
Staatskapelle Dresden

EMI Classics

[asin]B000026D4K[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 02, 2013, 06:47:05 AM
Saturday Strauss-a-thon!  8)

Currently:

Horn Concerto No. 1 in E flat major, Op. 11
Horn Concerto No. 2 in E flat major

Peter Damm, horn

Oboe Concerto in D major

Manfred Clement, oboe

Duett-Concertino for clarinet, bassoon and strings

Manfred Weise, clarinet
Wolfgang Liebscher, bassoon

Kempe, conducting
Staatskapelle Dresden

Awesome, Ray! Strauss composed some beautiful concertos, and the Duett-Concertino is a personal favorite of mine.

Hiker

I enjoy the applause at the end of this performance of the Alpine Symphony; it tells me that I am right to love this recording, the one that revealed the work's greatness to me.

Brahmsian

Continuing on with Saturday Strauss-a-thon!  8)

Burleske for Piano and Orchestra in D minor

Malcolm Frager, piano

Parergon zur Sinfonia Domestica for piano (left hand) and orchestra, Op. 73
*Panathenaenzug, Op. 74, symphonic studies in the form of a passacaglia for piano (left hand) and orchestra

Peter Rosel, piano

Dance of the Seven Veils, from Salome, Op. 54
Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme Suite, Op. 60
Schlagobers Waltz, Op. 70
Josephslegende, symphonic fragment, Op. 63

Kempe, conducting
Staatskapelle Dresden

EMI Classics

*Hadn't listened to Panathen....for some time, what a fantastic piece!  :)

[asin]B000026D4K[/asin]